The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 13:50:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  the Buggy House Fan Club
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: the Buggy House Fan Club  (Read 20957 times)
Tony M

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2007, 22:17:23 pm »

man we had parts galore - most of it was crap, the wanabe lookers made life good - they would buy anything and everything - and then you had the kid's - like jim, kyle, rob c, that did not go for the crap - jim had a good eye for good parts even as a kid - i dont think i owned a set of IDA's till i was in my 40's - then sold them too quick - we almost forgot to talk about big mark - he was the one that got into the cal-look more than me - from is euro 67 - to his sqr back w/the one pc. door and side glass - he made the cal-look pop out seals that SB glass sold - he was a great guy to have at that time - sill a great guy - works around the corner from us here in pleasanton - more soon

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
Jim Ratto

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2007, 22:21:27 pm »

Mark was Mr. 1835, IDAs, K8 cam....  said he was the guy to beat on Castro Valley Blvd when he ran that combo. Think he was at Small Car when he ran that motor....early 80's or late 70's.
Tony M

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2007, 23:19:59 pm »

yes he was working for dan at small car on A st - he had a good combo on that engine - the ol turtle was pretty stout - will try to get him on the lounge too...

Jim Ratto

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2007, 21:26:47 pm »

yes he was working for dan at small car on A st - he had a good combo on that engine - the ol turtle was pretty stout - will try to get him on the lounge too...

Mark was famous for "making up the customer's mind" for them. It never failed...even before I worked there...

I'd walk in, get something off the wall, like something really dumb or wild, like a 3-puck clutch disc, or solid engine mount kit, or Perma-Cool kit, and he's always have the same line "dude....  you don't want that. Trust me...   you don't want that." So much of what was on my car in the 80's was really thanks to Mark.

I remember working with him (he was manager first few years I was there), what a blast. Customers with big stroker motors would come in, and he'd say "hey Jimmy....why don't you go for a ride in that car?" I'd come back ghost white.
It was Mark that convinced me that I NEEDED 48IDAs.
It was Mark that taught me the VW part number system, still use that everyday.
And Mark also hired Sheep. Sheep comes into shop one day wearing cutoff jeans, a ragged Jane's Addiction shirt, flip flop sandals and a pirate's hat. Mark interviewed him and somehow Sheep pulled it off and got the job.
 Roll Eyes

The She Bee

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2007, 23:08:00 pm »

JIM REMEMBER THE HOT PINK NERF BARS, SOMETHING SHEEP SHOULD'VE PUT ON HIS CAR. Cheesy
sheep

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2007, 01:44:12 am »

Mark was famous for "making up the customer's mind" for them. It never failed...even before I worked there...

I'd walk in, get something off the wall, like something really dumb or wild, like a 3-puck clutch disc, or solid engine mount kit, or Perma-Cool kit, and he's always have the same line "dude....  you don't want that. Trust me...   you don't want that." So much of what was on my car in the 80's was really thanks to Mark.

I remember working with him (he was manager first few years I was there), what a blast. Customers with big stroker motors would come in, and he'd say "hey Jimmy....why don't you go for a ride in that car?" I'd come back ghost white.
It was Mark that convinced me that I NEEDED 48IDAs.
It was Mark that taught me the VW part number system, still use that everyday.
And Mark also hired Sheep. Sheep comes into shop one day wearing cutoff jeans, a ragged Jane's Addiction shirt, flip flop sandals and a pirate's hat. Mark interviewed him and somehow Sheep pulled it off and got the job.
 Roll Eyes

thats what im wearing right now haha ha ha

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
Peter

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2007, 11:55:55 am »

Sheep, please make a pic and post it then Smiley
BigBear

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2007, 19:14:53 pm »

HI TO ALL. Fantastic great memories at the House. And yes it was mostly all good times. But still to this day when i hear Jerry's voice i start twitching and have this reaction-urge to duck... And Tony. you still have not mentioned the time we saw him smiling for over an hour after he ate your brownies that time. And you never did give me that recipe. The reason i hired frank....... Istill have no clue. But it was a wise decision
Sarge

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2007, 19:41:37 pm »

Quote from: sheep link=topic=3387.msg47200#msg47200 date=119811145

[/quote

Hey Sheep...have you shown your buddies that new car you bought the other day?  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

DKP III
Tony M

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2007, 22:04:18 pm »

hey BigBear - forgot about the brownies - still have the recipe - when you come in i will give it to you - but that was funny - jerry grinning and not saying a word - and still wondering about sheep - as does every one  Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss - sheep our little happy fisherman - how about holloween that year we dressed in formal buisness type clothes - dress shirt, slacks, ties !!!!! - have pictures of that time - will try to scan the into the computer - hey jim talked to rob case last night - still has the blue turbo bug - in the garage - maybe talked him in to getting on the lounge  - will wait and see if he comes on with us.  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 22:10:09 pm by RACE HEAD » Logged

sheep

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2007, 23:42:31 pm »

Quote from: sheep link=topic=3387.msg47200#msg47200 date=119811145

[/quote

Hey Sheep...have you shown your buddies that new car you bought the other day?  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

That car is too weird for even me Shocked

sheep

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2007, 23:44:26 pm »

I was just thinking about the time a customer came in looking for a part, and I just went over to Jerrys chair and took a piece off the chair and sold it to him. Grin

Jim Ratto

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2007, 23:54:42 pm »

how about your dealings with Satan and his 1974 Karmann Ghia ?
sheep

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2007, 00:30:04 am »

oh yeah I forgot about that one.

Tony M

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2007, 01:18:43 am »

THEN THERE WAS DIAPER MAN - WAS BUILDING A ENGINE - CAME IN WITH IT WRAPED IN A BLANKET - FROM BARE CASES TO LONG BLOCK - IT WAS ALLWAYS IN A DIAPER - GUY WAS SO OFF - HE WANTED TO DROP THE REAR SUSPENSION - MADE A COMPLETE BLUE PRINT OF REAR SUSPENSION ANGLES - BigBear HELP ME WITH HIS NAME - I WANT TO SAY ED - ALSO HAD HIS CAT WITH HIM IN HIS CAR

norsa pom

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2007, 01:36:33 am »

I USED TO BY STUFF FROM BUGGIE HOUSE UNTIL I DROPPED MY CAR OFF AND WHEN I PICKED IT UP THERE WERE USED CONDEMS IN IT. NOW I SEE WHY.
Tony M

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2007, 02:10:28 am »

WHAT YEAR WAS THAT ?

The She Bee

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2007, 01:01:41 am »

someone tell the story of dirty bill with his grease covered socks and chewing tobacco stains around his mouth. Embarrassed
Tony M

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2007, 02:05:48 am »

DIRTY BILL WOULD COME IN DRIVING A PORSCHE TURBO 911 - JEANS SO COVERED IN GREASE THAT THEY WILL STAND UP BY THEM SELF - NO SHOES ONLY SOCKS THAT WERE SOO BLACK FROM GREASE - BIG WAD OF CHEW IN HIS MOUTH OR A CIGAR - JUICE RUNNING DOWN OFF OF HIS CHIN - AND HAVE THE HOTTEST CHICK WITH HIM ( EARLY ON ) LATER THAT HOT CHICK LOOKED LIKE HIM - HIS SHOP WAS A TOTAL WRECK - 4in OF GREASE ON THE FLOOR - AND HE JUST WALKED AROUND LIKE NORMAL - THAT IS WHY WE CALLED HIM DIRTY BILL

Jim Ratto

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2008, 17:56:47 pm »

Where is Popper at??
jpperf

« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2008, 06:15:06 am »

I have been sitting listening to these stories.  I do remember lots of them, but since I didn't work there, I can't relate to all of them.  I do remember so many shakey characters coming in there though.  I can add that everyone always tried to dodge Jerry for help.  It was always the same question from Jerry: "What the fu@% are you doing, what are you building?, what are you trying to do?  Why the fu&@ do you want to do that for?"  Jim and Frank used to laugh their asses off.

Not only did we have fun in the store, but remember how many idiots we watched get a ticket for the u-turn in front of the shop?

When I remember some real classics, I will chime in.  The tuna sandwich story had me laughing for a while!

JayP (Popper)
my65rhd

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2008, 01:59:28 am »

There are SO many stories...Mark and Tony used to bust my balls back in 82ish because I didnt know crap about cars yet. How come you wont take back this generator. I honestly didn't install it.(scratches from the wire connector) hahahahaha... My brother coming in and SHEEP helping him. Ask for a part and SHEEP comes back with a part from a chair. Damn my bro came back saying "That damn Frank...OK here it is...What got me into  VW's...My brother Jeff was the #1 person but this was my favorite car. Can we have a round of applause for Mark's "The Thumper"    the one and only..I found the car for sale in the 90's in Oakland and bought it..missing a lot but still cool

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 02:26:57 am by my65rhd » Logged

In Loving Memory of my mom Vicki and brothers Jeff and David Madden
Tony M

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2008, 17:23:21 pm »

Hey Kyle it's been a while since i have seen you - Hope all is well - Nice that you got on here and posted Big Marks THUMP - Busting your ball's ? Maybe Mark did that to you - but i know it was not me   Grin - Come by the shop if your in P town -

Tony

my65rhd

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2008, 21:56:17 pm »

Hey Tony...It's great to hear from you too. Yes I will definately stop by the shop when I am around there. I might be there on the 12th for a VW meet at In and Out. Ok we will blame it on Mark for busting my balls.  LOL . I had been searching for Mark's old car for many years and my friend just found it in his stash of old school pics. How's business?  Talk soon   Kyle mr rhd
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 21:58:24 pm by my65rhd » Logged

my65rhd

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2008, 21:31:31 pm »

Hey Tony please say Hello to Mark from me. I haven't seen him since Jim had a BH BBQ and Show back in the days. I just found a matchbook from Humphrey Motors on A St. I remember my brother and I going to Small Car too. I think Jose worked there too at some point but might be mistaken     Kyle mr rhd

Jim Ratto

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2008, 22:01:06 pm »

we need a Mission Blvd reunion, but please.... no hookers.
Tony M

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2008, 22:40:45 pm »

What is Mission Blvd with out them ? A better place ? I'm all for that - P town is a good place to have it  Grin

Jim Ratto

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2008, 22:42:26 pm »

What is Mission Blvd with out them ? A better place ? I'm all for that - P town is a good place to have it  Grin

I don't think Hopyard Alehouse will ever let another air cooled Volkswagen in their lot ever again. Next?
my65rhd

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2008, 22:42:51 pm »

The restaurant on the corner of Mission and A St...I think that was a BH hangout. If it's still there...   Kyle

my65rhd

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2008, 22:43:58 pm »

I have a stock 1500cc so I cant burn out like some other ppl I know at the Ale house haha   Kyle

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: