The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 22:01:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350841 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  crankcase breathing.....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: crankcase breathing.....  (Read 1869 times)
jick

« on: January 10, 2008, 23:15:34 pm »

i'm just trying to get as much info as possible on what people are doing to vent their engines, i'm mainly talking about 200hp plus  race/street motors that are turning up to 8500rpm...

anyone here running lines direct from the bottom of the heads back to the sump?

is that a good idea or a case of overengineering?

whats your set-up and why?

thankyou men!

besserwisser

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 00:28:29 am »

Running a line from the bottom of the head back to the sump has nothing to do with crankcase breathing. Itīs more a way to get oil back to the sump so the oillamp doesnīt go on at 402m when your reving close to 8000rpm. You use force to get the oil out of the sump but gravity to make it come back. If you look at the case and the small amount of space between the pickupptube and the case you can see that it will take oil a while to trickle back into the sump. At the same time a melling heavy duty pump is emptying the sump like there is no tomorrow.If you have a lot of problems with crankcase preasure there could be a lot of different reasons. Worn rings, new aluminum case not blueprinted, to small of a diameter of the hose for crankcasebreathing,worn cylinders out of round.The type of crankcase breathing kits they sell I would mainly use for hi po street cars. All out race cars need a lot more breathing than a 12 to 15mm hose can handle. Just my 3 cents
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: