The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 13:53:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  VolksWorld Show line-up (circa '96?)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: VolksWorld Show line-up (circa '96?)  (Read 23486 times)
Neil Davies

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2008, 13:15:35 pm »

I can't see the photos - stupid school firewall blocks stuff for teachers as well as kids! - but I assume you mean the floorpan that JMR had at Volksworld in 1997 or so. I heard that it was John's personal project, based on a brand new Mexican pan, porsche brakes, IRS etc. Berg five in an Autocraft case.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
streetvw

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2008, 13:21:35 pm »

no it belonged to one of John's customers you'll have to wait until you can see it, the pan you are on about was on display the second time me and my brother helped John out on his stand at the show as far as I can remember that just had a dummy engine setup displaying what John had planned I don't now if he ever finished it I know he had a new Mexican shell for that it was going to be more German look than cal look and he was planning on driving it to Germany and taking it on the Autobahn to see if he could get it to go 150MPH and then drive it home, but I don't know if that Idea went out the window when he moved to the Isle of Harris
empi67rag

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2008, 15:15:01 pm »

Kind Regards Edgar

EDIT: There is also the red  Belgian Beetle on aged BRM s and with Fat Bisquit interior, that one is also looking very good in my eyes.

[/quote]

Thanks Eddie

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2008, 15:17:51 pm »

It's strange to see how different us Cal-look enthusiasts responds to a car (Paul Ruis in this case). A flat paint job and dull real BRM's, who would like to drive around in a barnfind? Let alone BUILD one.

To explain why this car is generally liked in Europe, but looks strange in the US i think we have to look at the difference between the two sides of the Atlantic.
For us far away from America and the Cal-look history, the HISTORY really is a HUGE part of this, we really dig to find old magazines and newer before seen pictures to better grasp the mindset of the first builders. The Cal-look history is exotic to us, not just old. As is America as a whole. Any of us would love to travel back in time and BE there where the history was made. But we can't so the next best thing is to get you hands on the old magazines, the old correct parts or better still a PRESERVED Cal-looker.

This is where Paul's split comes into play, we CANT find Old American cal-lookers stashed away in Norway/Europe, but WHAT IF?
Paul Rui is a visionary and dare I say Artist when it comes to building cars. A real performance artist. There is never just a car, there is a story and a history to go with it.
I remember stumbling over this dull split at a Norwegian show in the mid ninety's, it looked so out of place and intriguing, where was this car imported from? and who had built it back in the day?, you could almost smell the hay form the barn it was pulled out of. And on the passenger seat lay some paperwork from back in the day, one of the papers looked like a letter written on EMPI stationary, where some past owner of the car I was looking was invited to display his car along Inch Pincher Too in some show!?!
WOW this car had really had been in the center of attention at some time in the distant past, probably when it still was in the states. Later that evening i got to talk with a couple of guys over that car, and since then they have become good friends of mine, namely BABOON (Vegard) and Folkevogn (Folke). I remember us getting all worked up over the letter from Vittone and how cool it was with a real Cal-looker at a Norwegian show. That evening is one of my fondest memories, us three under the starry night sky talking all things cal-look and going over the finer details of the cal-look history with the names, the parts and the years. All spurred on by this one car.

The next day reality caught up with us, we found out the letter was a fake, and that the car was just a fantastic realization of our dreams. I remember feeling a little disappointed at first, but after giving it some thought I came to love the idea Paul executed here.

WHY not build a dream... I think his way of thinking is quite different, and it gives us the onlookers inspiration and dreams.
Unfortunately the "real" history is hard to keep from the public and this overclouds the product I feel.

I think Ruis way of thinking has rubbed of on most of us Norwegian enthusiasts, most anyone in Norway wants to build cars that "fit" into a era. It also thought us that not everything has to be perfect to be cool, and not everything should be like it was when new.
Just look at how Ole Endler keeps Pink Panther...  an example to follow, history is good.... lets keep it like it is.

But when it comes to Ruis car, its not just a looker....

Sorry for rambling... Tongue
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 15:50:04 pm by JHU » Logged

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
ESH

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2008, 15:46:48 pm »

Good ramble! I like the way Paul goes about stuff, his approach makes the end result entertaining. I remember him saying about someone who had been talking to him about the bus and they had said it was such a shame it didn't still have the other door with the original sign writing on. He then came up with another idea of sticking glass doors on an original 356 to make everyone think it's a replica. Wasn't the bus originally a Porsche team transporter for both Le Mans and the Tour De France?

Grin
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2008, 19:05:39 pm »

same here the first time i saw the porsche team barndoor i was tinking that one was from a real porsche team in the days
here's some picture i took at spa bug show some years ago awesome bus  Cool Cool

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Georg/DFL

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2008, 16:33:36 pm »

It's strange to see how different us Cal-look enthusiasts responds to a car (Paul Ruis in this case). A flat paint job and dull real BRM's, who would like to drive around in a barnfind? Let alone BUILD one.

To explain why this car is generally liked in Europe, but looks strange in the US i think we have to look at the difference between the two sides of the Atlantic.
For us far away from America and the Cal-look history, the HISTORY really is a HUGE part of this, we really dig to find old magazines and newer before seen pictures to better grasp the mindset of the first builders. The Cal-look history is exotic to us, not just old. As is America as a whole. Any of us would love to travel back in time and BE there where the history was made. But we can't so the next best thing is to get you hands on the old magazines, the old correct parts or better still a PRESERVED Cal-looker.

This is where Paul's split comes into play, we CANT find Old American cal-lookers stashed away in Norway/Europe, but WHAT IF?
Paul Rui is a visionary and dare I say Artist when it comes to building cars. A real performance artist. There is never just a car, there is a story and a history to go with it.
I remember stumbling over this dull split at a Norwegian show in the mid ninety's, it looked so out of place and intriguing, where was this car imported from? and who had built it back in the day?, you could almost smell the hay form the barn it was pulled out of. And on the passenger seat lay some paperwork from back in the day, one of the papers looked like a letter written on EMPI stationary, where some past owner of the car I was looking was invited to display his car along Inch Pincher Too in some show!?!
WOW this car had really had been in the center of attention at some time in the distant past, probably when it still was in the states. Later that evening i got to talk with a couple of guys over that car, and since then they have become good friends of mine, namely BABOON (Vegard) and Folkevogn (Folke). I remember us getting all worked up over the letter from Vittone and how cool it was with a real Cal-looker at a Norwegian show. That evening is one of my fondest memories, us three under the starry night sky talking all things cal-look and going over the finer details of the cal-look history with the names, the parts and the years. All spurred on by this one car.

The next day reality caught up with us, we found out the letter was a fake, and that the car was just a fantastic realization of our dreams. I remember feeling a little disappointed at first, but after giving it some thought I came to love the idea Paul executed here.

WHY not build a dream... I think his way of thinking is quite different, and it gives us the onlookers inspiration and dreams.
Unfortunately the "real" history is hard to keep from the public and this overclouds the product I feel.

I think Ruis way of thinking has rubbed of on most of us Norwegian enthusiasts, most anyone in Norway wants to build cars that "fit" into a era. It also thought us that not everything has to be perfect to be cool, and not everything should be like it was when new.
Just look at how Ole Endler keeps Pink Panther...  an example to follow, history is good.... lets keep it like it is.

But when it comes to Ruis car, its not just a looker....

Sorry for rambling... Tongue

Jon, you hit the nail right on the head! A very good explanation!

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2008, 18:55:55 pm »

Paul's latest resto... Only one word: Amazing! Shocked

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2008, 19:01:38 pm »

gmund coupe  Cool 50 /51 Huh

streetvw

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2008, 16:14:57 pm »

have any of you DAS boys got any shots of all the cal look cars lined up at the front of sandown park? I can't find any of mine  Roll Eyes
Fritter

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2008, 01:02:40 am »

Paul's latest resto... Only one word: Amazing! Shocked

Whoa...that 356 is stunning!

I remember seeing Rui's brown aged car in Volksworld and I thought it was a totally cool car.  I don't have a patina cal look Bug (just my Buddy Hale painted '65 for sale on oldbug.com), but I do have a rust free '68 911 that has some original patina on it. 

I would not carry patina as far as Rui did, but I do prefer a car with a little patina and history (character I guess?) to a pristinely restored car.

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2008, 01:07:32 am »

do you have a photo of rui's ride perhaps?
such porsches look sweet!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Fritter

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2008, 01:25:51 am »

Diederick, Rui's brown split and his green 356 are in this thread, look through it again.   Smiley
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 07:13:37 am by Mike Fritz » Logged

Mike F.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2008, 01:58:44 am »

I have missed this thread for a while but I have to say that Paul rui's car has to be my favourite "modern built" Cal Looker - I love the idea of it being a "barn find" Looker from back in the day - I saw it up close at camberg and it was just as good as I always thought it would be, I just love the way i get used and abused  Wink Smiley

Also Ivan I think you 67 looks F$&KIN AWSOME on the Pie Pans - get some more dude  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Fritter

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2008, 07:15:55 am »

I have missed this thread for a while but I have to say that Paul rui's car has to be my favourite "modern built" Cal Looker - I love the idea of it being a "barn find" Looker from back in the day - I saw it up close at camberg and it was just as good as I always thought it would be, I just love the way i get used and abused  Wink Smiley

Also Ivan I think you 67 looks F$&KIN AWSOME on the Pie Pans - get some more dude  Wink Smiley

Yes Ivan your car kicks ass, of course I am partial to the color (same as my '65, pearl white L87?).  Original BRM's or DDS...you can't go wrong.  I have to admit I do like the mag BRM's with some patina on them better, but probably not to the point of burying them in the garden.  Cheesy

Mike F.
streetvw

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2008, 08:43:46 am »

heres one of Paul Rui's split next to Riki Riat's (spelling?) US 67

Oh and heres one of Riki's motor

Ole

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2008, 09:59:06 am »

I was at that Volksworld Show setting up a friends sales booth (please don't ask for his name...), when Paul Rui was bringing in his split. There weren't much cars inside the building then, first thing I noticed was the sound of straight cuts and a stinger. It doesn't took long someone told me the story about the buried BRM's... It's been something different back then and still is today. What I like most about the car is that it's still in the same condition, more than ten years later. How many cars changed the look/style over the years?

That's easy, I just can't afford a proper paintjob... Roll Eyes Grin Cheesy

Saludos,
Ole

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
Mach1

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2008, 17:05:45 pm »

Hi
Could you told me in which issue I can find an articla about Bernie's car Huh
streetvw

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2008, 17:11:48 pm »

I think your best asking Speedwell that one he know what was featured were and when  Wink
lofty1971

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2008, 17:41:43 pm »

Bernie's oval featured in Volksworld September 1997  Wink
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2008, 18:06:07 pm »

lofty do it for me  Grin Grin

streetvw

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2008, 18:12:44 pm »

lofty do it for me  Grin Grin

you must be loosing your edge speedwell  Shocked Wink Grin
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2008, 18:14:28 pm »

Grin Grin Grin Grin

lofty1971

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2008, 18:37:46 pm »

I had a pile of Volksworld's next to me and that one just happened to be near the top  Wink
Jules.r

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2008, 21:00:37 pm »

Cool interior!

I'm sure, and hope Pål won't mind me posting this picture he sent me a while back, anyone who likes art will love this!

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2008, 21:02:09 pm »

That would be worth framing.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2008, 21:22:57 pm »

Great car, but why does Bernie have Der Kleiner Panzers decals in the windows !?!
 Huh
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2008, 07:05:36 am »

all this got me looking through my old photos anyone in the uk know what happened to the car this was built for?

I remember the engine and box been built at John Mahers the guy spared no expence and then just dissappeared I think he was from Bolton or Bury, I never saw the shell but I heard it was really clean? 

This 'car' still looks just the same, still not got a body on it! he's been a good friend of mine for years. good strong motor, lots of nice parts.

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2008, 09:53:23 am »

I'm sure, and hope Pål won't mind me posting this picture he sent me a while back, anyone who likes art will love this!

This just underlines my rambling on Pål's car building, who commissions a oil painting of their car?
And there are one or two hidden "opinions" in the painting too...  can anyone spot them?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2008, 13:15:31 pm »

Cool interior!

nice painting/drawing
and welcome to the lounge julian
rgd
fabian/speedwell
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 13:36:36 pm by speedwell » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: