The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 02:23:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Paintable headlight rings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Paintable headlight rings  (Read 5602 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« on: January 31, 2008, 21:23:50 pm »

I have seen this on a few '67s. Where the headlight rings are painted. For those who have done this. did you have to strip the chrome off, or did they offer them in plain metal? If you had to strip off the chrome, did you do it or pay a shop to strip it off?

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 21:32:09 pm »

I got a cheap pair of 2nd hand chromed ones and i sanded them...

Glitter don't make you faster.
nicolas

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 21:33:44 pm »

the upright ones exist in black and are easy to paint.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 21:45:41 pm »

crome is very hard,so getting something to bit is the problem. My self I take stuff to Crome plate shop's have them strip then sand primer and paint. Keep material thickness to min. reason why,they still chip but chips are smaller . Paint co. called R,M in the 80's sold a sealer by the part # 811, at first they sold in metal cans , but the stuff started eating the cans up and leaking, then they started packageing in glass jars. wish I had a gal now. I use from valspar, a primer now alot DTM direct to metal.Tinting primer to color of car helps if paint chipn they are not so noticeable.By for now

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 21:45:45 pm »

the upright ones exist in black and are easy to paint.

I thought so too, but looking around I can't seem to find them. Probably looking in the wrong place.

--louis

Louis Brooks

nicolas

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 22:06:22 pm »

i don't know about the states but CSP has them.

repops i believe, but they need to be painted and prepared anyway.

http://www.csp-shop.de/cgi-bin/shop2/shop_main.cgi?func=start&wkid=1687065490

its in the electric/headlights/bug section.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 23:05:38 pm »

I just sanded mine and no issues. I also did the same with a set of Chromies for my notchback... I painted the vented portion and left the rim chrome with  a chrome VW hubcap.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Casey

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 23:20:53 pm »

Danny, is that the same Valspar stuff you were telling me about that you DTM and use it to block too. All in one? Do you have a part #? Thanks Vish.

DKP III
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 23:27:12 pm »

probably the same stuff. you can use for filling and thin it down and use for adhesion promoter ,Like a sealer,any place that sell's valspar will know.

Casey

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 00:05:50 am »

k, thanks

DKP III
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 01:53:23 am »

I have seen this on a few '67s. Where the headlight rings are painted. For those who have done this. did you have to strip the chrome off, or did they offer them in plain metal? If you had to strip off the chrome, did you do it or pay a shop to strip it off?

Thanks,

--louis
You can take your headlight rings to a chrome shop and have them striped it takes less then 5 mins they just put them in the tank for a few mins or you can buy later model (74 and Later) VW ones that are chrome plastic they are easy to sand the chrome off

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 01:56:05 am »

Thanks,

--louis
You can take your headlight rings to a chrome shop and have them striped it takes less then 5 mins they just put them in the tank for a few mins or you can buy later model VW ones that are chrome plastic they are easy to sand the chrome off

I am just kicking the idea around. Still not sure I am going to do it. I may just get a hair up my butt and send my SB12s off to be stripped. Just trying to decide if it would look right with the Lucas turn signals. Thanks for the unput guys.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Bruce

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 04:07:42 am »

You can get bare steel rings from VW in Mexico.  Go over to theSamba and look up user "Antonio Trejo", he can get them for you and FedEx them to you.
deano

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 01:12:36 am »

I took my SB12s to the local chrome shop and had them stripped back to bare brass. Buddy Hale then carefully primered them, and made sure that the Hella/SB-12 logos were not filled in. He then painted them using the car's body color came next.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 01:36:27 am »

SB 12's only came on early Production 67's  type 1 from Aug 66 thu feb 67 's they came on Type 3's from 65 thu 67

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 02:01:53 am »

dean found set like that to but mine were flat

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 04:31:03 am »

I took my SB12s to the local chrome shop and had them stripped back to bare brass. Buddy Hale then carefully primered them, and made sure that the Hella/SB-12 logos were not filled in. He then painted them using the car's body color came next.

Nice, I think I remember the article when you stripped them now that you mention it. Didn't you do your Talbot mirror too?

SB 12's only came on early Production 67's  type 1 from Aug 66 thu feb 67 's they came on Type 3's from 65 thu 67

I have a set but they have small cracks near the screw holes. Not nice enough to recrome, but if they were painted it could probably be repaired so you would never notice though. They are not "correct" for my car since it is a late '67 but who cares. I will roll it around in my head for a while.

--louis

Louis Brooks

WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 04:44:54 am »

I chose to install the "non writing" headlight rings as I wanted a cleaner look. I gave this alot of thought which one to go with because I was going to use my SB12 rings as well. I had mine stripped  and powder coated black, then Buddy painted and clear coated over that. Gives it a clean ,thick look. Word of advice... don't powercoat rings! Took 2 hours each just to remove powdercoat from inside tabs so that they fit perfectly on the light buckets. Also, VW actually made a thin rubber gasket that fits around the lip of the buckets before you install the ring. I ordered mine from Sarge but bought the last few sets available years ago. I was shocked that they still had them on the shelf.

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 18:02:10 pm »

hey steve is the gasget similar to the early head light bucket gasget.I never new there was a gasget on 67 and up

Casey

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 18:09:07 pm »

Dean, will your car be at the Bug-in?

DKP III
Bruce

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 19:45:47 pm »

hey steve is the gasget similar to the early head light bucket gasget.I never new there was a gasget on 67 and up
It is a very thin section O-ring.  You could probably make your own out of O-ring cord if VW didn't have them.
deano

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2008, 20:51:18 pm »

Dean, will your car be at the Bug-in?

You must be dreaming.... But thanks for asking. Maybe Bug-In 34, or 35, or 36.....

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: