The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 01:49:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350860 Posts in 28605 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  need help from the french. or anybody really
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: need help from the french. or anybody really  (Read 2318 times)
nicolas

« on: February 06, 2008, 20:40:20 pm »

i am trying to get the Talbot brakes sorted on the car. i have a set, but i can't really tell what year they are and most off all i don't know where i can get brakepads. i have been able to buy them in france couple (4-5 years) years ago in a shop that sells carparts (chain which i can't rember the name, but something along the lines off Brezan auto parts)

anyway i will need brakepads, but maybe new callipers as well... so i was reading KS performance book and it stated that they have dual pistons. mine have only one at each site. are there different models? and what model is best? maybe someone has used them before?

i ask this because i am going to get mine rebuild, but there are maybe better options.

thanks

nicolas
alex d

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 21:14:07 pm »

what car did you take them from? Talbot Horizon calipers are all twin piston as far as I know (my girlfriend has one, don't tell anyone  Tongue )
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 21:39:48 pm »

Hi Nico.

Do you mean you will use calipers from Talbot Horizon? I read that you need calipers from '84-'85. 2 pistons off 48mm diameter.

From what I know, that's bolt on but you have to chek if pads are correctly aligned with rotor. Sometimes an 1mm washer should be use.

Some linkes found on flat4ever
http://www.flat4ever.com/showthread.php?t=21948&highlight=talbot

http://www.flat4ever.com/showthread.php?t=22076&highlight=talbot

nicolas

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 08:25:57 am »

yes they have the 48 mm pads, and they have been made to fit the discs properly. they came from a 84? 85? were i took them from in a scrapyard. but not too sure.

i did however find the box for the pads. they are from Ferodo and reference number is FDB 203 A 
theu should fit tabot horizons and matra Rancho (don't know what that is really)

as far as talbots are conserned i really start to like them myself. just square and basic. even looked one up in Carpentras which is close to the winefarm my dad goes in the summer.
alex d

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 09:54:11 am »

ok, I checked with a local expert, he said that you can use any year calipers as long as they are from a gas model (there are two caliper makers: bendix and girling wich take different pads), diesels have a different style caliper;
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 10:35:01 am »

Horizon and Rancho are similars. So it's all good.

Wich kind of brake do you plan to use backside?
nicolas

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 18:46:14 pm »

i have the standard type3 brakes in the back and the bendix kind up front. i just wanted a better break up front. that is the reason why i run 165/65 tires up front and not the 145 they would lock up too easily. but they leak oil and need a rebuild. i turned them in today and hopefully they don't get too expensive. and hopefully i still can order some brakepads for them in the future... that is my main concern.

i always thought the advice about first making the car stop better and then putting in a bigger engine makes total sense... so that is what i wanted to achieve with putting them on.

AND i got the smallest scar from a giant wasp sting i had when i was working on the car. the wasps lived in the enginecompartment and got a little upset with me taking the brakes. i got stung in the calf and to this day it still can itch for no reason. poisoned???
this reminds me i need to post the stories of that trip through france. memorable.

nicolas

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 10:32:25 am »

got the brakes refurbished and they look better then new.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: