The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 14:59:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  less than I thought
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: less than I thought  (Read 6461 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: March 11, 2008, 22:01:02 pm »

since my odometer died jan 07, and I have been too cheap to fix it, I have no ay to gauge mileage.
Funny how many guys will ask you, after seeing IDAs on your motor "what kind of mileage do you get?"

Yeah, I selected Weber 48's, a 300' duration high lift cam, big valves etc so I could get good mileage. Gimme a break. If I cared I'd put BRMS on a Prius.

Anyway I sat down and computed a educated guesstimate of my annual mileage in the '67 since I dropped the 2165 in last year....only came out to 6800 miles roughly.  Once the Extreme Home Makeover is done at my digs, I might peek inside the poor thing and see what's left.

how many miles do you guys drive your big cc shit in Europe a year? Oh sorry....KM's.

Prowagen

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 22:38:44 pm »

If I cared I'd put BRMS on a Prius.

Cheesy Cheesy That has to be quote of the week! I nearly fell out my chair!

I dont know what mine does yet as the 2110 is still on the workshop bench  Roll Eyes
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 22:49:12 pm »

Gimme a break. If I cared I'd put BRMS on a Prius.

Dude, we should look into this. We could create a sub culture... it'll catch on... then... nevermind. Still, funny stuff though. Thanks!

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 22:52:34 pm »

Gimme a break. If I cared I'd put BRMS on a Prius.

Dude, we should look into this. We could create a sub culture... it'll catch on... then...

Twenty-five years from now will be talking to people in europe about how we were part of the first guys to have cal-priuses and what Cal-Prius culture was like in the early days! Grin Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 23:03:02 pm »

Twenty-five years from now will be talking to people in europe about how we were part of the first guys to have cal-priuses and what Cal-Prius culture was like in the early days! Grin Grin

Gosh darned straight! See? This guy gets it. These ARE those good ol' days.

Carry on.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
gibber!

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 00:16:35 am »

...you got me thinking Jim, so I've just braved the winds outside to check.

When I finished my '67 I installed a timer after reading that Frenchy had fitted one to his '67- I fitted mine in one of the kick panels under the back seat, so it's not often I see it.
Whilst cleaning the car a couple of weeks ago I thought I'd check it out and was shocked to find that it was more than I thought...!

I finished the car in Summer of 2004 and although I use it every day have only clocked up 14500miles, so to see that I'd had my boney ass sat in there for 839hrs has surprised me...!
A little maths tells me that it's 35 days (!?!), but I've managed an average of 17MPH which I don't think is to shabby for round town driving.

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 00:25:13 am »

wow...very cool. I probably thought I was in mine for more than 6800 because of the noise, bumps, heat....it can be hell in there at times,
gibber!

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 00:37:36 am »

....similarly in mine only noise, bumps and cold...!

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 03:11:05 am »

I get about 18MPG.   or about 12MPG depending on how much I get in it. This of course is 108 and 91 mix 50/50. Ends up being somewhere around 30 to 35 bucks for 5 gal. But worth every penny my friends. Cool
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 00:42:31 am by Jays65Deluxe » Logged

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Neil Davies

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 10:16:24 am »

And all of this rounds nicely onto petrol prices... I am concerned with mileage to a certain extent. I filled up my Golf this morning - petrol was 103.9pence per litre.

That works out to $2.09 per litre, or (at 3.78541 litres per US gallon) $7.91 per US gallon!  Shocked 

If my Beetle doesn't do decent miles per gallon I just won't be able to afford to run it! It costs me a fiver to get to work and a fiver to get home in the Beetle (even with the little motor) so I'm working my first half hour for free... Angry

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
gibber!

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 11:50:48 am »

I'm with you there Neil, just been and put 30 quid of fuel in the Bug which will see me until this time next week. Me and the girlfriend have a Mk3 Polo which we use as a spare car and I know that 30 quid will last me the best part of a month in that....
I just can't park the Bug up on the drive though...  Undecided

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 12:34:06 pm »

One more reason to go and get the engine dialed in on a chassis dyno. I have seen big cc. IDA equipped cars that went 23 - 28 mpg average (Expect on the track) I have also seen some that barely made 16 mpg.
Most IDF/DRLA equipped cars can do 25ish mpg average, some more, some less, depending on how much you are standing on the throttle.
T
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 15:01:18 pm »

After a hour on the chassis dyno I got slightly better than 28 MPG with three guys in the car, freeway driving (and just one burnout). This was the superflow version of my 2176 with 183 hp and IDA.
There is money to be saved by jetting... get your revestreker jets ;-) Grin Grin Grin

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
ESH

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 15:09:28 pm »

Back when I used the car for work the DRLA (48) motor could make up to 26mpg but it was more fun to get less so a £30 tank lasted no more than 2 days. I now get pretty much the same mileage out of the IDA's and on the last trip to Europe managed a little over 25mpg for the duration of the journey.

Smiley
Jim Ratto

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 17:03:09 pm »

well guys, maybe I wasn't clear. I was asking not about fuel economy, BUT how many km or miles you drive your hot rod a year.
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 17:05:45 pm »

No recording yet Jim as the bigone is being build Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 17:06:39 pm »

yeah, i wouldn't know how to calculate fuel economy on my 67 anyhow. i mean i can fill it up and see how many KM it lasts but i don't drive it till it's empty. plus my fuel gauge isn't working properly. besides i drive a stock 1300 engine at the moment anyhow Cheesy

back on topic. i don't drive that often, and i think that in 4 years i've only put on 5,000km  Shocked

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Donny B.

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 17:31:01 pm »

Back when I was active and used my car for daily driver to work etc.  I was putting on between 15k and 20k per year.  It tapered off after 1997 and dropped to around 10k miles per year.  Now I am lucky to put on a few hundred miles a year.  Hopefully that will soon change.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 18:17:22 pm »

Jim as much as you drive your sled, I think your estimate is low.

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 18:24:17 pm »

yeah, i wouldn't know how to calculate fuel economy on my 67 anyhow. i mean i can fill it up and see how many KM it lasts but i don't drive it till it's empty. plus my fuel gauge isn't working properly. besides i drive a stock 1300 engine at the moment anyhow Cheesy

back on topic. i don't drive that often, and i think that in 4 years i've only put on 5,000km  Shocked

You don't need a working fuel gauge or to empty the tank to figure fuel economy. All you got to do is fill the tank, record the odo, drive the car, fill the tank and record the odo. Subtract the first odo from the second and then divide that by the amount of fuel added in the second fillup.

or if you're lazy like me... you can plug the figures into http://mymilemarker.com/ and let them do the math. You can use either Imperial or Metric measurements.

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 02:41:22 am »

In less than a year I've driven my GTV over 6,000 miles... and it was parked for a month right after Christmas. I want to really drive the wheels off of it, but at the same time Im concerned with saving the original engine as long as possible so I can continue to collect parts for the rebuild Roll Eyes

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Gabetion2000

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 06:17:36 am »

I put about 40k miles on the stock motor in 4 years. Motor had a header and 36 dells. When a I put a 2007cc I was commuting to work and this was my only car. I put 10k miles on it in 6 months, same 36 dells. Then I bought a car and only drove the car on the weekends. One of those weekend days,  I over reved the motor and the pistons and valves met each other(single springs and a vz 30 cam). I know , I was young and didnt know any better. Besides it was my first stroker buildup , and it lasted 10k miles. Then I put a 2276cc in it and only put 2k miles on it in 1 year, until the lifters pitted and had to take it back apart. But I would regularly get 20+ miles per gallon in it.  The next motor I am building to drive alot more.

Gabe

A and G's Racing
73 Super
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: