The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 16:13:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  does an open decklid make your car louder?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: does an open decklid make your car louder?  (Read 2433 times)
wolfswest

« on: March 30, 2008, 16:04:12 pm »

Yesterday it was a beautiful day here in Belgium and I took my car for a spin...  I don't mind the sound of my ida's but I guess the people in my town and especially the cops don't like it.   Grin   Because there are many ricers  Embarrassed in my town the cops don't like any modified car...  So here is my question:  My decklid stands open  (the lower end not the top of the decklid)...  I guess that makes my car louder in a drive by @ high rpm because you can here the IDA's better...  true or not?  Would my car be more quiet in a driveby with the decklid closed?

Dem

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 16:08:14 pm »

Interesting question. I would say probably a little louder, but most of noise will get out through fresh air intake grills under rear window anyway. And if you silenced carbs you'd have the "whish" sound of high lift valvetrain at rpm, and roar of muffler(s).

What about just keeping a light foot on throttle in town?
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 16:26:00 pm »

Agree with Jim,do you run straight cuts,those will sound harder too,haha Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Turtle001

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 16:32:36 pm »

let those IDA's scream !

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
wolfswest

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 19:38:44 pm »

yes, I try to keep my foot of the right pedal when I'm in the center of our town but it was just a tought if the decklid could provide me a more "sleeper" modus...  Grin

but it is ow so difficult to not punch that right pedal to the metal and let those bastards scream like hell when you pass by some people with a big nasty smile on your face...  Grin  Grin

I'll try to keep myself low profile because I'm running "O-plates"...  But that is something only here in Belgium so hard to explain for you u.s. or other guys...

nicolas

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 09:33:31 am »

i'll explain it:

O-plates are the ones for Oldtimers only. you don't need to do the MOT anymore, they don't check as much as a regular car, but you are not allowed to drive it as a daily. you can only drive it in a radius on 25 km around your house or to meetings.
so get that photoshop working to make some fake flyers for longer trips...  Grin

as for the noise it won't be much more. and it doesn't matter as if people think it is too much with the decklid open, it will still be too much with the decklid closed. if you don't want to upset the neigborhood, there is a nice electric honda on the market...  Grin otherwise get used to the angry faces. AND the smiles of people who do appreciate it.
wolfswest

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 14:29:21 pm »

i'll explain it:

O-plates are the ones for Oldtimers only. you don't need to do the MOT anymore, they don't check as much as a regular car, but you are not allowed to drive it as a daily. you can only drive it in a radius on 25 km around your house or to meetings.
so get that photoshop working to make some fake flyers for longer trips...  Grin

as for the noise it won't be much more. and it doesn't matter as if people think it is too much with the decklid open, it will still be too much with the decklid closed. if you don't want to upset the neigborhood, there is a nice electric honda on the market...  Grin otherwise get used to the angry faces. AND the smiles of people who do appreciate it.

Grin  thx for the explination, I was too lazy for it!  Grin   I wouldn't go for the electrix honda because most of the import lovers here drive honda and a honda isn't lovely for the cops...  Grin  these bastards rev there engines like they think their drving a motorcycle...   Grin

they didn't pull me over yet and I'm planning to keep it this way...  we will see.  And if they do I will go for the explination:  hey mr officer, it's just an oldtimer not a vtec...  Grin

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: