The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 20:22:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350866 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Happy New '67 & '69 Sedan Owners!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Happy New '67 & '69 Sedan Owners!  (Read 20974 times)
Sarge

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2008, 15:58:23 pm »

Nice score, Jeffrey...love them blue '69's, too!!  Grin
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 16:18:26 pm by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2008, 16:03:52 pm »

Yeah, Jeffrey!!! That thing is SAWEEET! What a great find for you.

I'm eventually gonna do the same thing with mine. Major clean up ahead of me. Even though it got driven on the weekends by the owner's wife, it looks like it sat out in the desert for years without ever being cleaned. A LOTTA dirt inside and out. But underneath is a VW treasure. After that, I'll put my newly acquired wheels and drop spindles on. Next, pull out the stock engine after I get done building my other one.

Jeffrey, I took the liberty of changing the thread name. Now, we just need Mark to get his up here.

Grin
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 16:08:29 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2008, 16:08:25 pm »

You shouldn't have done that, this is Mark's thread, I just wanted to share a similar joy. I'm looking forward to seeing his new ride. The peek at the tail light was a tease. It looks like it could be real nice.

-jeffrey

Rennsurfer

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2008, 16:10:28 pm »

You shouldn't have done that, this is Mark's thread, I just wanted to share a similar joy. I'm looking forward to seeing his new ride. The peek at the tail light was a tease. It looks like it could be real nice.

-jeffrey

Wait a gosh darned minute... I'M Mark and it's MY thread, so I changed it. So there. HAHA!! You're right about the tease; it's the only part of the car that was cleaned up at that juncture. I gotta go buy a few parts today. Hopefully, I'll get some more pics up, later on.

P.S. I was referring to seeing Mark R.'s car on here in my previous post. Sorry for any confusion. I'm your host... Ken Fusion.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 16:12:03 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2008, 16:15:25 pm »

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention, I figured I was responding to Rick. Never mind. I gotta stop smokin pot...

Throw a couple "before" pics up. Some of us want to see whatcha got!

-jeffrey

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2008, 17:49:24 pm »

Looks great Jeffrey!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2008, 20:32:15 pm »

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention, I figured I was responding to Rick.

-jeffrey

No worries, my friend. You and Mark can feel free to post pics on this thread. Like Dave used to say at the club meetings:

"We can't force you to have fun."

HAHAHAHA!!!! Classic.

~Sarge
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2008, 20:59:34 pm »

Very cool guys! Zenith blue 67 and white 69, both great models!  Grin

Glitter don't make you faster.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2008, 03:51:45 am »

Thanks and I agree.

~Sarge
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2008, 06:34:44 am »

Hey Mark, great find, love that color! That color is sure poping up lately! Wink  See ya at Bug-In! Telling you that color....Uhm.... Grin

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2008, 06:49:25 am »

Thanks and I agree.

Regarding our phone conversation about VW-1500 decklid emblems... I clearly have no clue as to what I'm talking about  Roll Eyes Shocked

Here's mine and it's got the large 15 and the smaller 00 like you were talking about.

Gaz1

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2008, 09:46:06 am »

Zenith blue is a great colour,not that i'm biased or anything Wink,looking forward to seeing more pics of this one. Smiley
nicolas

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2008, 13:34:32 pm »

look at this! so cool, i am one weekend without internet and all this pops up. very cool and keep us posted.

jhicken
DKK

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2008, 14:23:02 pm »

Dropped spindles? Avis adjusters? Pulled torsions? Photoshop?

-jeffrey

Rennsurfer

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2008, 14:39:30 pm »

Dropped spindles? Avis adjusters? Pulled torsions? Photoshop?

-jeffrey

NICE, Jeffrey! I'm gonna go with PhotoShop, because that rearend (huh, huh... I said rearend) is too low. Just messin' with ya. Pretty cool, though.

Thanks, guys... I'm pretty stoked on owning/driving an aircooled car again. Rick, that's how I remember your decklid badge looking, but I thought that you had it powder coated black. Did you de-powder coat it at some point, or is that a different badge?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 14:42:23 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2008, 16:59:35 pm »

Rick, that's how I remember your decklid badge looking, but I thought that you had it powder coated black. Did you de-powder coat it at some point, or is that a different badge?

The original "VOLKSWAGEN" block letter emblem was powder coated semi gloss black with the rest of the stuff on my car. This emblem was a later addition and was always like this.

Rennsurfer

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2008, 17:19:32 pm »

The original "VOLKSWAGEN" block letter emblem was powder coated semi gloss black with the rest of the stuff on my car. This emblem was a later addition and was always like this.

Cripes! I'm losin' it, bigtime. Sorry, thanks for that. I do remember now.

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2008, 17:22:15 pm »

Cripes! I'm losin' it, bigtime. Sorry, thanks for that. I do remember now.

I'm lucky if I remember anything from those days!  Wink

Rennsurfer

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2008, 18:39:46 pm »

Finally got most of the car dialed in. Poor thing had not been cared for in a long time and was extremely dirty. Sorry that's not in Cal Look mode yet, but I wanted to clean it up as a stocker, first.

I'm guessing the engine is a 1500 or 1600cc. Whatever it is, it still has single port heads. Now that my roommate has given it a full tune up and valve adjustment, it can actually get out of it's own way, now. It's amazing that it even drove two hours from the desert to my house. Points weren't operating and the valves were tight.

Gotta look into why the high beams and brake lights don't work. I'm guessing a relay and a brake light switch. I bought a switch yesterday. Gonna try to replace that today. I don't wanna drive it till that's fixed. I SO can't stand the outside mirrors on this car. YUCK! Aftermarket and wrong shape. Need the passenger side pear shaped mirror and black license plates to complete the exterior.

Next, will be the drop spindles. Monza exhausts are still on the cool list, yes?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 18:44:02 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2008, 18:42:08 pm »

That is sweet Mark!

As they say on the Barrett-Jackson auctions "Nicely Bought"  Wink

Rennsurfer

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2008, 18:51:18 pm »

That is sweet Mark!

It's far from perfect or show quality... but thanks, Rick. I just feel blessed that I scored one less than half of the prices of the other cars I was looking at. I could see the potential of this one, however. Even though it had oxidized paint and dirt everywhere. Think I already have the (barf!) roof rack sold. That'll go towards paying for the huge sushi bill for Joe and I, last night. HAHA!! He didn't want money for dialin' in my engine, so I offered to treat us to a HUGE dinner. We almost closed the place. Had to celebrate me getting another Beetle after all of these years.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 18:57:13 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2008, 18:55:29 pm »

Car looks great............  Cool

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2008, 18:58:15 pm »

That is sweet Mark!

It's far from perfect or show quality... but thanks, Rick. I just feel blessed that I scored one less than half of the prices of the other cars I was looking at. I could see the potential of this one, however. Even though it had oxidized paint and dirt everywhere. Think I already have the (barf!) roof rack sold. That'll go towards paying for the huge sushi bill for Joe and I, last night. HAHA!! He didn't want money for dialin' in my engine, so I offered to treat us to a HUGE dinner. We almost closed the place. Had to celebrate me getting another Beetle after all of these years.

Hmmm Sushi!  Wink

Carlos De Alba

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2008, 19:00:03 pm »

That is sweet Mark!

Hmmm Sushi!  Wink

Hmmmm Sushi..........nothing better than "raw fish"  Grin

sorry.......back to topic..........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2008, 19:01:59 pm »

I think we need to have a VW/Sushi cruise!!  Grin

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2008, 19:04:36 pm »

That is one clean looking car. You guys out in Cali make me sick being able to dig up these rust free VWs.  Tongue

Now, about that 2 liter you were going to build.  Grin

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Gaz1

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2008, 19:05:16 pm »

Looks a nice bug Cool

Now i know what mine would look like in stock form Smiley
Rennsurfer

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2008, 19:12:16 pm »

That is one clean looking car. You guys out in Cali make me sick being able to dig up these rust free VWs.  Tongue

Now, about that 2 liter you were going to build.  Grin

--louis

HAHA!! Louis, don't feel TOO bad... if it makes matters better, I've looked at many cars for the last couple of months. They were either rusted or asking way too much money for my shoestring budget. I totally lucked out with this car. My best friend (who ironically found my first car for me in 1979 while we reading the classified ads in high school math class) called me last Friday and said we gotta go look at this car. So, we headed out to Victorville, which took us an hour and a half in his new company car. Bought the '67 and even got the price down. Took us two hours to get home.

I agree with you... finding rust free cars, even here, is getting to be a wild goose chase. It's been a rather humbling experience. 28 years ago, we rarely saw cars with rust. A lot has changed since then and I'm finally learning that. Oh and about the engine... that might take awhile. So far, I have a counterweighted crankshaft, flywheel, Kennedy Stage 1 plate, and rods. Gonna build a 1914cc.

Thanks, again, for the kind words everyone. Rick, you know me... I'm always down for some sushi or just eating food in general. Name the time/place and I'm there.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 19:14:23 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2008, 19:23:38 pm »

I think that the lack of rust free cars in the southwest is because we're getting picked over from other areas where the climate is not as dry.

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2008, 20:01:47 pm »

I think that the lack of rust free cars in the southwest is because we're getting picked over from other areas where the climate is not as dry.
Damned foreigners... Roll Eyes Kiss

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: