The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 03:00:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  What brand and type of paint materials did you use on your Cal Look Project?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What brand and type of paint materials did you use on your Cal Look Project?  (Read 5060 times)
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« on: April 03, 2008, 09:11:06 am »

There are a lot of good paints out there today that we did not have 35 years ago. What types of paint have you guys all used for your Cal Look project cars?

• Acrylic Enamel w/Hardner
  • Base Coat/Clear Coat
  • Acrylic Urethane

Just getting ready to change the color on a car I have and wondered what all of you have found the most durable for all type weather conditions, easy to keep up and looking good for the long haul.

Also, share what brand or type paints you have used:

• PPG
  • OMNI
  • Dupont
  • Glazurit
  • Any other brand you have found that works great

One final set of questions. What type of and brand of Primer Surfacers, Self-Etching Primers, Primer Sealers, body filler materials have you found best to use for all weather conditions and best results for an under-layment for your paint?

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
nlvtinman

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 15:21:16 pm »

Rick,
With so many different results possible with today's paint materials, the choice is wide open. I've been a painter/restorer for 35 years. I've given all the paint companies a try.
In my book, I will nowdays choose a Base/Clearcoat system, even for a solid color. They have perfected chemical adhesion of the products so that de-lamination is not a concern.  I feel that that clear helps protect your colorcoat from staining, attack of environmental fallout, and deepens the look to the finished paint job.

PPG, DuPont, and any of the european paints are great to use...just depends on the depth of your wallet. If I can be of any help to you, please write and we can discuss your questions,
Steve
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 15:24:15 pm »

I have not done a whole car but I have worked with the PPG DP line of primers before and was very happy with the results. You should make sure to read up on the helath hazards of some of the new paints. Some of that stuff is pretty nasty if you don't have a fresh air system.

I am planning to paint my '67 from start to finish this time so I will be watching this thread with interest.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Mike Maize

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 15:33:19 pm »

Hey Rick, I agree that most of the high end stuff is as good as the next. The biggest thing is to follow instructions to the smallest detail, including the health warnings. I prefer single stage urethane on solid colors because I feel it touches up better with a brush on chips etc...and I build cars to be driven hard. I am Dupont diehard though, because my Father in law has his own mixing system at his shop and as far as durability goes I can't imagine anything holding up better. My black car has been ten years and counting and has zero issues on bonding or shine, other than needing a light buff after a million washes and lots of miles..... Grin The black paint was over white Dupont urethane paint I did 20 years ago!
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 14:29:15 pm »

Dupont   single stage

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
jick

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 21:56:51 pm »

i used dupont cellulose on my last 3 cars i painted, i just dont like the plasticky look of the two pack paints...although they area lot more durable....

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 22:13:05 pm »

GLASURIT SINGLE STAGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Shocked Smiley  Shocked
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 22:14:37 pm by Richard Roth » Logged
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 00:55:51 am »

My friend, Robert, and I sprayed my orange '66 using Ditzler brand paint which I had custom blended to my color specs. We were very happy with how it applied and turned out.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Brian Silva

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 03:20:07 am »

Had my car painted about a year ago with spies and hecker base coat/clear coat and it turned out beautiful.
rick m

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 08:46:21 am »

I appreciated every one's input so far. I will be practicing and studying the painting process and redoing the color on my Chop Top this fall.  Right now I am studying and investigating and appreciate the input of forum members so far. I have done everything else to my cars including engine, drive train and metal work and felt it is now time to go full circle and paint one.

It will be a full strip down process. I am building a new floor pan and chassis for my Chop Top I acquired.  I need to have my own hand in the whole car and will do a complete rebuild in the traditional Cal Look. All the chrome will come off, an EMPI eyebrow decklid I will create and other body mods before repainting it.

I will keep forum members posed on my progress.  Here is how the car looks now. It will get a color change, interior change, wheel change and drivetrain change.  Anyone interested in a complete interior out of the car, let me know. I will be selling the front and rear seats and matching door panels as a complete set.  I am replacing them with something different for my new look.

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 12:16:59 pm »

You decided on a color?

--louis

Louis Brooks

Mike Maize

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 14:00:51 pm »

Dupont   single stage
Dupont Chroma One is their single stage (no clear coat) urethane. Not sure what looks "plasticky" but a couple coats of wax and people are drooling over my single stage painted builds all the time.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 14:05:56 pm »

Dupont   single stage
Dupont Chroma One is their single stage (no clear coat) urethane. Not sure what looks "plasticky" but a couple coats of wax and people are drooling over my single stage painted builds all the time.

Can you color sand single stage paints to remove orange peal?

--louis

Louis Brooks

Mike Maize

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 21:32:33 pm »

Absolutely can sand and buff!
Matt H

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 21:52:46 pm »

I like single stage urethanes for non metallic colors. When I did my car I used PPG Concept. It still looked great the day I shipped it off to Norway. If I was spraying a metallic I would go base clear. So you know Omni is entry level PPG. You can buff SS no problems. The way to think about SS is the clear is in there. You can also add some clear to your last coat if you realy feel you need to. You only need epoxy primer if you are going back to bare metal. Check the websites for tech information. Good luck Rick
rick m

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 09:59:28 am »

Matt,

Thanks for your input. I have been playing around with multiple coats of Acrylic Enamel with Hardner, color sanding and buffing. Amazing what you can get it to look like.  I am only playing with small pieces right now, testing out my new gravity feed gun. I will probably not strip the chop top clear back to bare metal and use a primer sealer on it, depending on how well the current paint is adhering.  I have some body mods I will be doing, welding up the chrome holes, building and eyebrow 67 decklid and some other mods (welding in the over rider holes and exhaust cut outs) before I strip the car.

I am also building a new pan for the car as well. Have some drive train updates I want to do and it is easier to build and prepare a new rolling pan for the car.  I will post progress shots later in the year as I progress the project.

RM

Rick Mortensen
Tony Wilkie

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 19:33:38 pm »

Hey Rick,
I use PPG base coat clear coat.
Deltron base & concepts clear. Pretty easy to use and has one of the best gloss retention.
If you need any help let me know. I'm not to far from you. (peoria)

tw

Operations Trask Manufacturing
Design, Prototype, & Dyno Tune Custom Motorcycle Exhaust
rick m

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 00:05:05 am »

Hey Tony,

I don't think we've ever met but I was sad to hear you closed the shop down. Where are you working now? Would like to meet up with you some time. Sorry we never hooked up before. I will definitely be interested in any input you have. I like to do all my own work...motors, etc. Paint is a new venture for me so I always seek a lot of information and feedback before trying anything.

Email me and let me know how to get ahold of you and hook up.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Dick Mitchell

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 00:26:07 am »

I'd have to agree with the majority and recommend PPG Base/clear.  I've been using it for the past 4 years in school and have noticed a huge difference between it and the DuPont Chroma-base paint I used before.  The difference IMO is in the ease of applying both the base and the clear. 
Tony Wilkie

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 05:54:18 am »

Hey Rick,
I'm doing work for Chris @ wedge vee dub. He has tons of work and takes good care of me  Smiley
Give me a call anytime. My cell 623-980-9905

By the way I heard my buddy Trevor got a good scare in Don's car when he was hanging with you guys  Cheesy

tw

deano

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 06:12:53 am »

Buddy Hale used Pro Spray urethane on my '67. He likes it better than Spies Hecker. We ended up doing a three stage paint job to get the right shade of orange. He first applied a solid bright orange toner to my car, then sprayed the correct shade of orange on top of that, then clear. This gave the paint job a lot more depth, and covered better, since my orange contained so much transpartent yellow in the mixture.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 14:20:53 pm by deano » Logged

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Tony Wilkie

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 06:38:29 am »

Spies is hard to spray unless you have used it before & VERY expensive because you need to use all of there products together. $$$ But they warranty all there paint if you should have a problem.

It does gloss out nice though!

tw

Donny B.

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 14:49:27 pm »

By the way I heard my buddy Trevor got a good scare in Don's car when he was hanging with you guys

Now Tony how could anybody get scared in my car?  He should ride in a really fast car sometime....

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
2manytoys

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 07:01:09 am »

I appreciated every one's input so far. I will be practicing and studying the painting process and redoing the color on my Chop Top this fall.  Right now I am studying and investigating and appreciate the input of forum members so far. I have done everything else to my cars including engine, drive train and metal work and felt it is now time to go full circle and paint one.

It will be a full strip down process. I am building a new floor pan and chassis for my Chop Top I acquired.  I need to have my own hand in the whole car and will do a complete rebuild in the traditional Cal Look. All the chrome will come off, an EMPI eyebrow decklid I will create and other body mods before repainting it.

I will keep forum members posed on my progress.  Here is how the car looks now. It will get a color change, interior change, wheel change and drivetrain change.  Anyone interested in a complete interior out of the car, let me know. I will be selling the front and rear seats and matching door panels as a complete set.  I am replacing them with something different for my new look.

Rick Mortensen

Rick,
I see you bought a car that was local to me here a few months ago. I was looking at it and gave it a thought. My plan would have been to strip it, paint it, sell the interior and build it new again. Good luck with the "re-birth" I have always loved chop tops, every since the days of my first chop, the Green M&M,..man that was a long time ago, about 18 years.

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: