The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 06:22:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  oil pressure?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: oil pressure?  (Read 6863 times)
peach_

« on: June 18, 2008, 15:41:25 pm »

hey havnt really done alot of posting on here but a few of u out there know me.

right down to the problem in hand, my rocker covers leak oil, yes i know its normal but not quite like this lol
its fine sdnading still and reving it jst the odd drip like normal, but if i go out give it the gun i come back and my single quiet pack is covered in oil as if there's to much pressure when its under load, so me and jamie (kaferboy) came up with the idea of a breather would this been the reason and solution?

cheers  Grin

p.s it a hot 1641  Wink
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 15:45:57 pm by peach_ » Logged

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 15:48:01 pm »

sounds like too much oil pressure, have you taken the valve covers off ? Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
peach_

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 16:33:49 pm »

no i havnt, do u mean rocker covers?  Huh

sorry lol Cheesy

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

#CALLOOKDRAGS
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 16:40:44 pm »

pop a rocker/valve cover off and see if there is excessive oil in there, could be overfilled Grin

any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

YMCA
peach_

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 16:54:19 pm »

lol  Grin dipstick seems ok lol, how much oil should there be in there? bit of a novice when it comes to beetle engines, Cheesy

cheers

#CALLOOKDRAGS
peach_

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 17:32:08 pm »

do u think a breather would cure it thou? Huh

#CALLOOKDRAGS
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 17:34:43 pm »

A breather setup would help, vent the valve covers and the oil filler. what oil are you using? Grin

YMCA
peach_

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 17:44:48 pm »

nothing special jst morris supereem 30 classic stuff?

#CALLOOKDRAGS
ian c

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 17:48:40 pm »

a breather will help the cover up the symptoms , not cure the problem

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
peach_

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 17:52:36 pm »

what exactly is the problem then? i thought this was a normal thing if u got to much pressure jst use a breather box Huh

#CALLOOKDRAGS
ian c

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 18:00:08 pm »

i dont know exactly what the problem is .

could be blow-by on the rings .

thats what did it on my 94's  Roll Eyes

what oil filler system do you have on ? is it original and is it vented to carb ?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 18:04:45 pm by ian c » Logged

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
peach_

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 18:06:59 pm »

i dont know exactly what the problem is .

could be blow-by on the rings .

thats what did it on my 94's  Roll Eyes

what oil filler system do you have on ? is it original and is it vented to carb ?

oow thats not good its only jst started doing it thinking about it, colud be rocker cover seals? Huh

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Jim Ratto

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 18:07:43 pm »

maybe your valve cover gaskets are just leaking.

are you using stock VW valve covers? Or some aftermarket ones? Are you using stock VW valve cover clips? How are you attaching gasket to valve cover? I wouldn't get too worked up about a breather until you know you have a good foundation.
Too much oil pressure isn't going to do it.

peach_

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 18:12:55 pm »

maybe your valve cover gaskets are just leaking.

are you using stock VW valve covers? Or some aftermarket ones? Are you using stock VW valve cover clips? How are you attaching gasket to valve cover? I wouldn't get too worked up about a breather until you know you have a good foundation.
Too much oil pressure isn't going to do it.

standard covers and standard clips, jst by that wire thing that clips over the top, gonna take them off after iv had some food and inspect, hopeing its jst the gaskets, there jst cork ones arnt they?

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Jim Ratto

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 18:18:02 pm »

The clips should take some real effort to swing over the valve covers. If they seem easy to pry over covers you need new ones. CB performance has OE VW clips and covers cheap. Make sure you use new, clean and dry gaskets, apply Loctite 574 or a good HD adhesive to valve cover, then lay gasket in, make sure it's in flat and even then install covers to motor. Might be a good idea to let engine sit a few hours to let glue dry before you run it (keep hot oil from messing with adhesive)
peach_

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 18:33:11 pm »

The clips should take some real effort to swing over the valve covers. If they seem easy to pry over covers you need new ones. CB performance has OE VW clips and covers cheap. Make sure you use new, clean and dry gaskets, apply Loctite 574 or a good HD adhesive to valve cover, then lay gasket in, make sure it's in flat and even then install covers to motor. Might be a good idea to let engine sit a few hours to let glue dry before you run it (keep hot oil from messing with adhesive)

ok will get them off later and will let you know what it looks like

cheers for the advice much appriciated  Grin

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 18:47:39 pm »

If its getting all over your QP it could be a Few Things the Baffel under the Generator stand could be installed incorrectly causing it to throw oil up to the oil filler and run out the down pipe at a higher RPM, also it could have a Broken Ring causing excessive Blowby (do a compression check),take the oil cap off start it up and put your hand over the oil filler and check to see how much pressure it has also rev the motor a few time and see if it blows oil out of the filler.

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
peach_

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 19:41:00 pm »

If its getting all over your QP it could be a Few Things the Baffel under the Generator stand could be installed incorrectly causing it to throw oil up to the oil filler and run out the down pipe at a higher RPM, also it could have a Broken Ring causing excessive Blowby (do a compression check),take the oil cap off start it up and put your hand over the oil filler and check to see how much pressure it has also rev the motor a few time and see if it blows oil out of the filler.

dnt think its coming up throu the filler but ill try ur pressure testing methord  Grin

thanks Smiley

#CALLOOKDRAGS
peach_

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 19:58:26 pm »

no im not using the oil bath filer thing jst a air paper filter

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 20:17:12 pm »

dnt think its coming up throu the filler but ill try ur pressure testing methord  Grin

thanks Smiley
I am talking about the tube that runs down off the bottom of the stock oil filler it goes down to the bottom of the case on the outside Originally had a rubber flapper valve on the end it ends about even with the top of your muffler

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
peach_

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 20:38:31 pm »

thanks Smiley
I am talking about the tube that runs down off the bottom of the stock oil filler it goes down to the bottom of the case on the outside Originally had a rubber flapper valve on the end it ends about even with the top of your muffler

Ok sorry, understand now, if there was a ring gone would it cuz both sides to blow out the rocker cover or jst the one side, as the drivers side is only leaking Huh
cheers  Grin

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 02:47:47 am »

IF A RING IS BROKE IT JUST MAKES MORE BACK PRESSURE IT WILL BLOW OUT ANYWHERE IT CAN ON A 1641 IT SHOULD NOT HAVE MUCH BACK PRESSURE IN LESS THERES A PROBLEM WITH THE ENGINE INSIDE

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
peach_

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 12:08:51 pm »

IF A RING IS BROKE IT JUST MAKES MORE BACK PRESSURE IT WILL BLOW OUT ANYWHERE IT CAN ON A 1641 IT SHOULD NOT HAVE MUCH BACK PRESSURE IN LESS THERES A PROBLEM WITH THE ENGINE INSIDE

thanks for the caps easeir to understand lol Tongue thanks very much for all your help, hopefully ill know in a bit  Cheesy

#CALLOOKDRAGS
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 12:27:32 pm »

I always use a light coating of wheel bearing grease on the gaskets then, once they're clipped on, give them a tap with a hammer from the bottom to make them seat correctly(if you look you can see the cover go into position)haven't had any leaks using this method Grin

YMCA
Jim Ratto

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 17:22:36 pm »

broken ring would probably puke oil out of crank pulley too.
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 08:47:33 am »

Hows it goin Peach? I'll nip up over the weekend if you like and we'll see if we can sort it. Oh, and you got pm...

peach_

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 17:13:17 pm »

rite thanks guys for all ur help,.................................think it wsa jst over filled  Roll Eyes Cheesy but i took the rocker cover off cleaned it up, turned the cork gasket over and then gave it a rev was, ok till i noticed the oil out of the exhaust  Shocked lol............ oh well probs blown a seal or something?? anywho gonna have a go at building a big one cheers again  Grin Cool

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: