The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 17:29:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350827 Posts in 28601 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  The Keeping Your Motor Cool Thread. Suggestions Here Please
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The Keeping Your Motor Cool Thread. Suggestions Here Please  (Read 12216 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 10:32:27 am »

Agreed dude - Nice Touch  Smiley

Also I must mention those Plug lead gromits - After reading this thread I realised I DID NOT have them fitted to my "Taylor 8mm" leads  Shocked and after fitting them and can deffinetly say they DO make a big diffenece - I ripped it down the M1 yesterday back from my mate Rob's (Bronze manx) and I did 90mph pretty much ALL the way and she was nice and cool when i pulled into the services - the heads seemed ALOT cooler and the filter felt like it does when I've been doin 70mph, Normally she doesn't like doing over 80mph for long periods but yesterday she was perfect Smiley and before everyone says it I KNOW I NEED SOME GUAGES Roll Eyes Wink Smiley

Thanks for the tip dude  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 19:49:21 pm »

mate I just got a new breast plate - the old one had a massive hole around the union - then I carefully ground it back slowly and offered it back up, did that about 50 times until I had the hole just big enough to clear the union with no gaps.  If I had Acetylene it would have been better like yours.  Very nice touch.

Hey Phil, if you fancy a oxy bashed one give me a shout. Will do it for free as long as the tinware is OG Wink

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Fasterbrit

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 19:52:09 pm »

Agreed dude - Nice Touch  Smiley

Also I must mention those Plug lead gromits - After reading this thread I realised I DID NOT have them fitted to my "Taylor 8mm" leads  Shocked and after fitting them and can deffinetly say they DO make a big diffenece - I ripped it down the M1 yesterday back from my mate Rob's (Bronze manx) and I did 90mph pretty much ALL the way and she was nice and cool when i pulled into the services - the heads seemed ALOT cooler and the filter felt like it does when I've been doin 70mph, Normally she doesn't like doing over 80mph for long periods but yesterday she was perfect Smiley and before everyone says it I KNOW I NEED SOME GUAGES Roll Eyes Wink Smiley

Thanks for the tip dude  Smiley

Hi Monkiboy. I was surprised at the amount of difference the grommets made too! It just shows that VW certainly new their onions Cool
I might have another couple of mods to post shortly as I am nearly finished with the motor.

www.air-kraft.com
Fasterbrit

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 20:01:25 pm »

Here's an interesting scenario for any of you running a Type 3 with any carb setup other than stock. I have recently fitted a set of DCNFs to a a 1641cc Type 3. Little bit of headwork, stock valves and a 110 cam. Pretty basic, but the motor ran hot and the fuel started to boil in the carbs. After ten minutes the car was undrivable. It took a while to work out just what was going on, but I got there in the end. You see the problem is that there is a lot of radiating heat in a Type 3 engine bay with a header type exhaust. VW new about the radiating heat with the stock exhaust so they pulled the air for the carbs from outside the engine bay.
Now when you fit aftermarket carbs the motor sucks in hot radiating air. The air goes in and out through the exhaust and kind of recycles. You start to get a compounding heat problem and before you know it the carbs can get so hot (as was my case) and the fuel actually boils! Angry
We combatted this problem by mounting a heater fan from a Bay Window Bus with a Type 4 motor. You know the fan - it sits right there in the engine bay. It has a really good cfm.
Anyway, we mounted this fan to the left of the gearbox and then routed two ducts from the fan to the rear tinware. We cut two holes and fed the ducts straight to the carbs. One either side.
It worked an absolute treat - the carbs are now stone cold after a good thrash and the engine runs as cool as stock. Again folks, VW knew what they were doing. If you ever have any doubts, check out what the factory did and copy it as close as possible.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 20:03:14 pm by All Torque » Logged

www.air-kraft.com
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2008, 17:57:18 pm »

With my Fastback project I recently aborted, I was planning on adding another factory air inlet to the left side of the engine compartment, and feeding each DCNF independently with them. Maybe another time Roll Eyes

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
nicolas

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2008, 20:14:51 pm »

With my Fastback project I recently aborted, I was planning on adding another factory air inlet to the left side of the engine compartment, and feeding each DCNF independently with them. Maybe another time Roll Eyes

been thinking something similar... but i wanted to have an inlet just next to the carbs directly into the airboxes at the sides where the air enters. but your idea looks a lot more factory.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: