The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 14:00:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350873 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  new stuff to listen to?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: new stuff to listen to?  (Read 3343 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: June 16, 2008, 22:39:16 pm »

can somebody point out some decent stuff to listen to in these genres or by this artists?

genres: calypso, steelpan music, west African highlife music, juju music, and maybe some decent stuff by Waylon Jennings?

I hate to delve into some new stuff only to pick up some duds. I'm kind of sick of my CD collection.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 22:43:41 pm »

Try last.fm Jim. (http://www.last.fm) Good for finding similar artists.

Rick

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
stealth67vw

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 01:57:06 am »

You need some Waylon? I've got a ton. I'm not really into country music but I love Waylon Jennings and Hank Williams III. Hank is kinda rockabilly cow punk with the twang of his Grand Daddy. I'll burn you some stuff.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TpP6hIRYOpk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/TpP6hIRYOpk</a>
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 02:03:30 am by stealth67vw » Logged

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
nicolas

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 07:10:40 am »

i like it!  Grin
Neil Davies

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 12:51:09 pm »

If it's country you want, theres only one - Howling Willie C*nt! Offensive on all levels, but musically brilliant! Wink Sample song titles: "Homosexual Punchbag in a Wheelchair", " Going Home To Satan" and the tender ballad "Say It With Herpes"... Shocked

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 17:37:58 pm »

can somebody point out some decent stuff to listen to in these genres or by this artists?

genres: calypso, steelpan music, west African highlife music, juju music, and maybe some decent stuff by Waylon Jennings?

I hate to delve into some new stuff only to pick up some duds. I'm kind of sick of my CD collection.

Then leave it alone for a while, you guys must have a ton of radiostations to give you an alternative of what you got.
And Honest Jim...You Calypso...Steelpan.. come on. Use the steelpan for the oilchange while you juju the car... Grin
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 20:16:09 pm by FDK/Hurry » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 17:43:23 pm »

Then leave it alone for a while, you guys most have a ton of radiostations to give you an alternative of what you got.
And Honest Jim...You Calypso...Steelpan.. come on. Use the steelpan for the oilchange while you juju the car... Grin

Grin

Hi Harry..... most FM stations out suck ass, same Top 40 "alternative" (to what?) recycled trash, I wonder how 99% of these acts get signed. My wife's H0nda has XM, and there are some ok stations, but again, mostly just the latest rage BS that all sounds the same.
I actually enjoy what I have heard as far as the Afro-Caribbean stuff goes... kind of soothing. Yes really.  Smiley

Now where's that live Dead Cd I had laying here a minute ago...?  Grin
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 20:24:31 pm »

That Dead cd is killing ya, see what i mean....Leave it a while  Grin

But honest, i thought overthere in Cali you guys would have a lot of Radio Pirate-(Real)Alternative etc. stations blowing out good tunes  24 hours a day. Damn. i have to listen to shortwave to find new stuff, and shortwave is not on cable.......I'm frequently turning to jazz...If i start to get bored over my cd's. But your roots are always crawling up to you once a year. Undecided

Done ? Not Yet.
Neil Davies

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 13:01:04 pm »

Jim, seriously this time, Colin Murray has one of the best radio shows in the UK IMHO. Best bit is that it's on Listen Again for 7 days after the programme has been broadcast. Tuesday has the Black Hole Of Radio One, where people email in their internet downloads and they get played on the radio. Japanese language version of Ian Brown (Stone Roses singer)? that's there, along with a marching Brass Band cover of the Offspring! Well worth a listen, as is Wednesday night's Midweek Mobile disco, half an hour or so of records around a theme. Smiley

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/colinmurray/

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: