The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 20:22:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350866 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  wheel/tire combo...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: wheel/tire combo...  (Read 34425 times)
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2009, 04:56:46 am »

HEY MARK, how about some true spokes painted silver? It would be different!

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2009, 05:11:44 am »

Maybe with either short axles or 4.5 wheels on the rear and chrome hucaps (Porsche emblems would be better) and change the blue parts back to chrome......

Yuck! Everyone does the Porsche crests. And last I checked... it's MY name on the registration.

Grin

But thanks for playing... please drive through. Jim, tell him what he's won.

Next?

HEY MARK, how about some true spokes painted silver? It would be different!

So would a louvered driver's side door.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2009, 05:23:43 am »

So would a louvered driver's side door.

HA HA Mark you kill me bud TGFYM.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Bryan67

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2009, 05:41:15 am »

4 and 5" Centerlines, short axles, T III drums, 2" beam cb Brakes w/drop spindles and 145 Nankangs and 205/70 Coopers.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
2manytoys

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2009, 06:34:34 am »

Thanks, DEEKS.

To answer your question, Randy, I'm going to get 145 SR15 tires for the fronts of the BRM wheels. Before that, I'll be doing more sand blasting to them. I've done 'em twice but I'm still not happy with how they look on the natural portions. This last time, for the Classic, I was stoked how the black inset portions turned out. Finally achieved the flat black sheen I was looking for. That, and I'm just simply burnt out on seeing 'em on my car. I've wanted a '67 with BRMs since high school... but it's time to move on and start a quiver of wheels for my car. I'll be on the hunt for other budget wheels for the future. Anything that's different, of course.

Grin

almost gives it that salt flat racer look, looks good, not overbearing, "look at me" stuff, i think they call it, "subtle yet understated" Smiley

Bingo! You nailed it right on, Randy. Funny that you mentioned that... Ben Salazar and I were talking, last night at Nick's, about overly polished/chromed wheels on Cal Lookers. He told me a great story about one of his friends. The guy put fully polished (or chromed) EMPI five spokes on his Looker in the old days. His Grandmother came out to see it. She said, "Don't like it. Looks like it's going to the prom." Later, the guy scored a set of BRMs. Next time she went out to see the car, "Much better. I like this... it looks mean, now."

One of the best car stories I've heard in years!

HUGE thanks out to Brent Kooiman and Dave Rosique for providing me with a set of exact wheels that I wanted. You guys both rock and I'm proud to call you cats my close friends for almost three decades.

Nice.

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2009, 06:52:15 am »

Hey Mark,
  Loving the wheels and hate to use this word "but".....
 Gotta say looking at the above color front shot I gotta say the car is screamin for the T-bars in the same treatment as the wheels... the simplicity of the wheels is clashing with the chrome of the bumpers, don't get me wrong the car is looking Boss the way it is.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2009, 06:58:58 am »

Hold the phone... just looked back a bit and saw the shots with the T-bars and no caps!!! Awesome.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2009, 08:04:55 am »

Hold the phone... just looked back a bit and saw the shots with the T-bars and no caps!!! Awesome.

So far, that's how I like it best.

~Dave
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2009, 17:38:33 pm »

~Dave

Add me to the "T-Bars & no caps" list  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Jim Ratto

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2009, 18:17:47 pm »

~Dave

me too but that will probably make Mark paint his car blood orange red and put Volvo bumpers on it, along with slot mags from a '74 Mustang II
Bryan67

« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2009, 18:21:17 pm »

Or you could just paint the bumpers......... How about some other combos on some other cars?

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2009, 18:28:13 pm »

~Dave

me too but that will probably make Mark paint his car blood orange red and put Volvo bumpers on it, along with slot mags from a '74 Mustang II

Touche' Jim and plus one for the win...as it were.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2009, 22:57:31 pm »

Mark in my opinion the frosted 911 alloys, 4-1/2" width in front and 7" rear but you would have to change to '66 length axle. I can see you as an Alloy guy, maybe with CN36's on the rear?

Rennsurfer

« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2009, 00:05:01 am »

Or you could just paint the bumpers......... How about some other combos on some other cars?

You paint your early bumpers first, then we'll go from there. Dig?

Mark in my opinion the frosted 911 alloys, 4-1/2" width in front and 7" rear but you would have to change to '66 length axle. I can see you as an Alloy guy, maybe with CN36's on the rear?

That would look pretty cool, Jim. But I'm over the 4½" alloys. If I'm ever lucky enough to come across a set of those wheels, I'd like to have some 5½" up front and either late sixes or do like you suggested and go with 7" on the back with the early axles. But I highly doubt the latter would happen. In addition, I'd have to step up my engine, big time, if I ran such a wide wheel. Wouldn't make sense, otherwise. Since my budget won't allow me to enjoy alloys, I'm not too worried about it.

At any rate, I'm very happy with the car as it sits. It's obviously affecting the targeted people, so mission accomplished.

Grin

Next?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 00:25:23 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2009, 00:20:18 am »

Roll Eyes
Rennsurfer

« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2009, 00:23:40 am »

B-GAWK! Yep... that's me. Are you gonna put wheels on that thing and Cal Look it? Or eat it?

~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2009, 00:26:18 am »

that's kinda personal.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2009, 02:04:01 am »

that's kinda personal.

Word up, Home Skillet. Don't choke it.

Grin

If I had a late Standard, I'd put these wheels on it. Paint 'em silver and forget about 'em. 4½" VW ones on the fronts and the 5½" Porsche ones on the backs. Simple and easy to maintain.

And I'd use the VW center caps just to piss people off. HAHAHA!!!

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2009, 03:12:35 am »

If I had a late Standard, I'd put these wheels on it. Paint 'em silver and forget about 'em. 4½" VW ones on the fronts and the 5½" Porsche ones on the backs. Simple and easy to maintain.

And I'd use the VW center caps just to piss people off. HAHAHA!!![/b]
[/quote]

EXACTLY the combo I had on my red '70 back in 1980... right down to the VW centers.

~DR.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2009, 03:16:10 am »

EXACTLY the combo I had on my red '70 back in 1980... right down to the VW centers.

You, my friend, have good taste. (read: simple/functional = less is more)

~Sarge
Speed-Randy

« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2009, 03:16:59 am »

hey mark, if yer lookin to piss people off, put some mini truck menudo bowls on it and roll into nicks, take the front parking spot. then simply bask in the glow, or duck the beer bottles Grin Grin Grin

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2009, 03:21:00 am »

hey mark, if yer lookin to piss people off, put some mini truck menudo bowls on it and roll into nicks, take the front parking spot. then simply bask in the glow, or duck the beer bottles Grin Grin Grin

Menudo bowls??  Grin Grin

~DR.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2009, 03:22:37 am »

Wow. Where to begin... Randy, I honestly have nary a clue as to what you posted. Not trying to be a smart ass... just always thought that walking or public transportation was/is a much better idea than mini-trucks. The only menudo I know of is the one wretched Mexican food I can't stand.

(edit) Wait... will the bier bottles be full? I just might be into this.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 03:29:11 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2009, 04:05:45 am »

Thanks, DEEKS.

To answer your question, Randy, I'm going to get 145 SR15 tires for the fronts of the BRM wheels. Before that, I'll be doing more sand blasting to them. I've done 'em twice but I'm still not happy with how they look on the natural portions. This last time, for the Classic, I was stoked how the black inset portions turned out. Finally achieved the flat black sheen I was looking for. That, and I'm just simply burnt out on seeing 'em on my car. I've wanted a '67 with BRMs since high school... but it's time to move on and start a quiver of wheels for my car. I'll be on the hunt for other budget wheels for the future. Anything that's different, of course.

REALLY?

almost gives it that salt flat racer look, looks good, not overbearing, "look at me" stuff, i think they call it, "subtle yet understated" Smiley

Bingo! You nailed it right on, Randy. Funny that you mentioned that... Ben Salazar and I were talking, last night at Nick's, about overly polished/chromed wheels on Cal Lookers. He told me a great story about one of his friends. The guy put fully polished (or chromed) EMPI five spokes on his Looker in the old days. His Grandmother came out to see it. She said, "Don't like it. Looks like it's going to the prom." Later, the guy scored a set of BRMs. Next time she went out to see the car, "Much better. I like this... it looks mean, now."

One of the best car stories I've heard in years!

HUGE thanks out to Brent Kooiman and Dave Rosique for providing me with a set of exact wheels that I wanted. You guys both rock and I'm proud to call you cats my close friends for almost three decades.

Nice.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Speed-Randy

« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2009, 05:23:14 am »

i'm refering to the lowered minitrucks with 10-12 wheels, all offset is to the outside, wrapped in rubberbands

Rennsurfer

« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2009, 06:08:13 am »

i'm refering to the lowered minitrucks with 10-12 wheels, all offset is to the outside, wrapped in rubberbands

HAHA!! I remember when every Japanese car was into that throughout the '90s and well past 2000. Poor wheel bearings. Just never heard of the menudo bowl reference. Good stuff.

Surprised that not many people have opted for body color coded 356 wheels on their Cal Lookers.

Porsche owners have been doing it for decades. I'd go for it if my car were darker. Doesn't work well with lighter colors.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 05:05:58 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Neil Davies

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2009, 08:25:00 am »

Surprised that not many people have opted for body color coded 356 wheels on their Cal Lookers.
Porsche owners have been doing it for decades. I'd go for it if my car were darker. Doesn't work well with lighter colors.

It's not painting the wheel car colour, it's painting the car wheel colour... Wink

I like the no-caps, no bumper look (almost pre-Cal Look but brought up to date with the colour coding, which I love), but the silver caps might look good against a darker wheel. Smiley

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
bilboa2

« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2009, 19:48:15 pm »

since EVERYONE get's an opinion on somebody elses car... I agree with shubee, no hubcaps, stock bumpers, single exhaust, kinda all the same period look...car color works well with the silver rims..bill
Jim Ratto

« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2009, 20:05:52 pm »

since EVERYONE get's an opinion on somebody elses car... I agree with shubee, no hubcaps, stock bumpers, single exhaust, kinda all the same period look...car color works well with the silver rims..bill

Bill I like the combo on your car ALOT... the grey offset on the B.R.M. spokes and the 155s up front look great.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: