The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 03:17:31 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Powder coating at home
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Powder coating at home  (Read 3701 times)
j-f

Jean-François

« on: July 15, 2008, 08:29:17 am »

I'm wondering if it is possible to use powder coating at home and which kind of tools and materials I need?

Do you use this at home?

I don't know if there is a shop that do this in Belgium.  Huh
JS

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 09:09:03 am »

I know Summit sells a cheapo version.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D01%2D06100&N=700+%2D192039+115&autoview=sku

Signature.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 15:54:34 pm »

You can do it at home, you just need an oven that will heat to 400 deg f. Never cook food in it after you have used it for powder coating. Eastwood sells a starter kit as well. No guarantees on how it will come out though.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 15:59:09 pm »

if you really wanted dude you could send the parts over to me in the UK and I could get them done for you - Just a thought dude  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 14:39:19 pm »

if you really wanted dude you could send the parts over to me in the UK and I could get them done for you - Just a thought dude  Smiley

Why not Lee. That's very kind of you.  Smiley

I'm looking to powder coat some Fusch wheels, cooling tin etc, to have good finishes on my car.
Lee.C

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 14:43:41 pm »

Why not Lee. That's very kind of you.  Smiley

I'm looking to powder coat some Fusch wheels, cooling tin etc, to have good finishes on my car.

Tinware's not a problem BUT those fuchs really should be ANODIZED  Wink Smiley

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 14:48:19 pm »

Yes I know that Fuch are anodized, but it seems simple to powder coat them than anodized?
There is so much kind of color and texture with powder coating that I don't think there will be a major difference between the 2 treatments. Maybe I'm wrong also?

I just browse Ebay and find this

http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280242485374&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018#ebayphotohosting

Looks complete?
Lee.C

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 15:27:27 pm »

I am ALWAYS worried about these so-called "Home Kits" they can NEVER be as good as paying a profesional to do what they do best Smiley

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 15:46:04 pm »

I am ALWAYS worried about these so-called "Home Kits" they can NEVER be as good as paying a profesional to do what they do best Smiley

I don't know. I have seen some pretty crappy jobs done by so called "professionals".

--louis

Louis Brooks

Lee.C

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 16:06:44 pm »

I don't know. I have seen some pretty crappy jobs done by so called "professionals".

--louis

True True, I know a very good place near me that I have used for years and they have NEVER let me down...... So Far.......... Undecided Smiley

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 16:07:18 pm »

--louis

True True, I know a very good place near me that I have used for years and they have NEVER let me down...... So Far.......... Undecided Smiley

Cool, I will ship all my stuff to you too.  Grin

--louis

Louis Brooks

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 17:10:39 pm »

Yes I know that Fuch are anodized, but it seems simple to powder coat them than anodized?
There is so much kind of color and texture with powder coating that I don't think there will be a major difference between the 2 treatments. Maybe I'm wrong also?

I just browse Ebay and find this

http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280242485374&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018#ebayphotohosting

Looks complete?
Dont know if I would Powdercoat the Wheels for the sand blast the wheels first plus powdercoating chips easy and cant be touched up it is to thick IMO for wheels the tire shop would eitghter scratch or chip them putting the tires on as far as colors they do make a satin silver that looks like  the anodizeing  just my 2 Cents....

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 17:41:35 pm »

j-f there's belgium coating in the industrial zoning in grace hollogne  http://www.belgium-coatings.be/
no sa far from my house  Wink
rgd
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 17:49:50 pm »

j-f there's belgium coating in the industrial zoning in grace hollogne  http://www.belgium-coatings.be/
no sa far from my house  Wink
rgd
fabs

Just what I need.  Cheesy

Thanks guy.
nicolas

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 18:05:40 pm »

there is one that is not too expensive and good were i go with the floorpan and engine tin near my house as well. don't really know prices but you get it fairly quick. 2 weeks max. and it is welldone except for their silvergrey like original rims are. they are white with some metalflakes in them. not really what you want. i would anodize the fuchs that would look great and it is the way Porsche did them. powdercoating is hightemp... maybe not good for the rims. and i would not send my rims to any powdercoater as they sandblast them with very hard material and would probally fµc* them up. if you want i give me the parts on sunday.

Lee.C

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 18:17:02 pm »

Very Good Point - I don't even trust "Tire Guys" with my Cal Parts  Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: