The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:35:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350832 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  1970 Project
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1970 Project  (Read 4518 times)
bugnut68

« on: October 30, 2008, 19:50:34 pm »

Here is my ultra low budget Cal-Look project.  so far new pans, new package tray, mild 1776 (Engle 100, semi hemi heads, 1.25 rockers, Kadrons, single QP, full flow filter, etc.).  Stock steel rims on the car now, as the 2.0 liter alloys had clearance issues with the ball joints.  At the time, the only advice I was given was "grind down the ball joint," which I refused to do.  Eventually chromies will probably find their way on the car.  It's not much to look at now, but hopefuly someday!
ESH

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 08:50:29 am »

It would be cool if you could work out a way of keeping those wheels, I think they're a good choice for a late car, not sure what adjustments you'd have to make though. Sascha Grolimund's (Luftkraft) car has them and looks pretty good...

Smiley

bugnut68

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 19:05:41 pm »

It would be cool if you could work out a way of keeping those wheels, I think they're a good choice for a late car, not sure what adjustments you'd have to make though. Sascha Grolimund's (Luftkraft) car has them and looks pretty good...

Smiley

The wheels are long gone, sold them to somebody in Colorado.  The sad thing was I picked them up for 50 bucks, but the good news is I sold them for nine times that.  I sure wish I still had them, knowing what I know now about making them work with my drop spindles.  Cry
bugnut68

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 19:58:51 pm »

My goal is to do the removeable apron thing for the rear apron, to aid in engine removal. 

Does anybody have a list compiled of which rims work well with CB's 2-inch drop spindles and disc brakes, in terms of offset?  I'd like to try and find something other than chromies.  Just curious!
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 20:40:58 pm »

Something narrow with a lot of backspace if it's a stock width beam, and you'll need 145's. My 4 1/2" Sprints (4 1/2" backspace) with 145's don't rub, but that was only after I installed a 3/4" sway bar... which I hate Undecided I dont know if a Mahle/Fuch/Pedrini wheel would work (if you clearanced the wheel slightly for the ball joint, of course) with a 175/65... it is slightly shorter than a 145 and might give you the room you need- but I kinda doubt it.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
bugnut68

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 21:09:05 pm »

Something narrow with a lot of backspace if it's a stock width beam, and you'll need 145's. My 4 1/2" Sprints (4 1/2" backspace) with 145's don't rub, but that was only after I installed a 3/4" sway bar... which I hate Undecided I dont know if a Mahle/Fuch/Pedrini wheel would work (if you clearanced the wheel slightly for the ball joint, of course) with a 175/65... it is slightly shorter than a 145 and might give you the room you need- but I kinda doubt it.

I guess I'm a ways from having to worry about it. Plenty of time to do some research, wish I could have run the 2.0 liters Fuchs, knowing  now how to make them work!  We'll see what the future holds.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 21:35:41 pm »

I guess I'm a ways from having to worry about it. Plenty of time to do some research, wish I could have run the 2.0 liters Fuchs, knowing  now how to make them work!  We'll see what the future holds.

I'm betting you would need a 2" beam if you wanted to run anything more than a 145 tire, like I said the 175/65 gets my vote. It would fit nice on a 5.5" rim.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
bugnut68

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 19:15:20 pm »

I'm betting you would need a 2" beam if you wanted to run anything more than a 145 tire, like I said the 175/65 gets my vote. It would fit nice on a 5.5" rim.

I'm cool with 145's... I guess I'm just a little more educated now on the whole wheel fitment thing. Grin  Chromies will look good on the car initially, or I could go '80s all the way and do Centerlines.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: