The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 16:09:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  off the wall old race eninges
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: off the wall old race eninges  (Read 16411 times)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 20:28:17 pm »

this time not a race motor, by any means, but still an odd one.... and a huge one.
Bugatti Type 41 "Royale" straight eight engine.
Bore x stroke: 125mm x 130mm = 12.7 liters
cylinder head and block were machined from one billet, making valve grinds a real chore. 3 valves per cyl.
I think this gentle giant was really underworked, as it made a little under 300hp.
I think a cousin of this Bugatti engine was used in locomotives.... no kidding.

Stephan S

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 21:44:52 pm »

The Schlumpf Museum offers the largest selection of Bugattis in the world, including a couple of 12720cc Royales. They were supposed to reach 200km/h (125mph) - quite an accomplishment.
The museum is quite amazing... Check out this picture.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 21:54:31 pm »

is that a mirror in the bakground? I remember Car and Driver did a piece on that museum in 1984 I think....  got me going on Bugattis.... well the real ones. Not those rebodied VW's.
Stephan S

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 22:18:46 pm »

No mirror. One room, dozens of killer vintage racecars...
And that's not even showing the Bugattis!

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 22:36:51 pm »

There are 437 cars in the Schlumpf collection !
123 of them are Bugatti's !
 Shocked
Stephan S

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2008, 01:16:29 am »

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 21:53:58 pm »

How about the Mercedes Benz W196 straight 8 with desmodromic valve gear? (no valve springs)
2500cc
Hirth roller bearing crank, one-piece rods, power-take-off from center gear on crank, mechanical injection, dry sump, I think it made 280hp+ at 9000 rpm, ran on mix of alcohol and benzine. In the mid 50's
Jim Ratto

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 22:17:47 pm »

The 300SLR famed race car (from 1955 Le Mans tragedy) used larger cc version of same engine....  more info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_300_SLR

streetvw

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2008, 21:18:03 pm »

The Schlumpf Museum offers the largest selection of Bugattis in the world, including a couple of 12720cc Royales. They were supposed to reach 200km/h (125mph) - quite an accomplishment.
The museum is quite amazing... Check out this picture.

I went on trip to that museum with my dad and Uncle when I was 16 it was the most amazing place I have ever been line after line of bugatti's, Ferrari, Rolls-Royce, Maserati, Maybach, Mercedes and the 2 royales they had on rotating platforms were just incredible.  Cool
I found it amazing that the brothers who collected these cars managed to keep it such a secret, it was discovered when the disgruntled workers stormed the factory that the brothers were running (which had gone bump) no body knew they would have the cars brought in, in covered wagons in the dead of night Shocked

check out the website http://www.collection-schlumpf.com/en/schlumpf/
streetvw

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2008, 21:27:49 pm »

anyway back to the thread hows this for a rare motor a Magee quad cam top fuel motor
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 20:18:10 pm by streetvw » Logged
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2008, 17:18:04 pm »

Radials? Pah! You need a rotary – and I don't mean a Wankel engine...

To quote:
"Balance. Note that the crankcase and cylinders  revolve in one circle, while the pistons revolve in another, offset circle.  Relative to the engine mounting point, there are no reciprocating parts. This means there's no need for a heavy counterbalance.

Air Cooling. Keeping an engine cool was an ongoing challenge for early engine designers.  Many resorted to heavy water cooling systems.  Air cooling was quite adequate on rotary engines, since the cylinders are always in motion.

No flywheel. The crankcase and cylinders provided more than adequate momentum to smooth out the power pulses, eliminating the need for a heavy flywheel.

All these factors gave rotary engines the best power-to-weight ratio of any configuration at the time, making them ideal for use in fighter planes.  Of course, there were disadvantages as well:   

Gyroscopic effect. A heavy spinning object resists efforts to disturb its orientation (A toy gyroscope demonstrates the effect nicely).  This made the aircraft difficult to maneuver.

Total Loss Oil system.  Centrifugal force throws lubricating oil out after its first trip through the engine.  It was usually castor oil that could be readily combined with the fuel. (The romantic-looking scarf the pilot wore was actually a towel used to wipe the slimy stuff off his goggles!) 

The aircraft's range was thus limited by the amount of oil it could carry as well as fuel.  Most conventional engines continuously re-circulate a relatively small supply of oil."

Photos of a working SCALE MODEL rotary engine!

Click here for film of engine running!!!!!
http://modelrotaryflyer.tripod.com/lerhonevideo.wmv
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 17:22:54 pm by Fastbrit » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Jim Ratto

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2008, 23:07:57 pm »

I know Honda fiddled with a race motor, but not sure if it was GP car or motorcycle, but it was designed with oval bores!

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2008, 00:22:37 am »

At one time they mounted four V-twin motorcycle engines side to side to create an 8 cylinder GP car !
I have an old magazine article about it somewhere.
 Shocked
Neil Davies

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2008, 11:47:49 am »

I know Honda fiddled with a race motor, but not sure if it was GP car or motorcycle, but it was designed with oval bores!

I remember that - wasn't it a 3-litre V8 to go into a motorbike or something daft like that? Huh

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2008, 12:04:05 pm »

It was a 750cc V4, worth a fortune nowadays, more here:

http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2006/08/honda-nr750-your-games-oval.html

Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: