The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 04:57:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Drop spindles w/o narrowed beam?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Drop spindles w/o narrowed beam?  (Read 20720 times)
Sarge

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2008, 16:16:14 pm »

i thought you had a narrowed beam jeroen?

chirco sells welded spindles...

i'm going for gasburners, it was merely an example Wink

serge, i don't think a stock beam with avis adjusters will give you the comfort you have right now. i now started using my 67 about 3 days a week to get to work as i moved to another town.

i could of course buy myself a pair of spindles whenever and mock them up and narrow if needed...

p.s. for some reason i don't feel i can corner hard, it's like the front end won't turn when going through 90 degree corners at say 25 instead 20. it's not like understeer though but it will have the same consequence Wink

My car won't "turn" either Angry.  I had 195/60's all the way around with the 5.5" Porsche chromies, a stock beam with a few torsions pulled, 3/4" Sway-A-Way front stabilizer, and worn out factory shocks years ago..., it handled like a champ  Smiley.  The 145's are no help, but vanity must prevail, right? Wink

I like your car, Jeroen! Cool Cool Cool  Welcome to The Lounge, too Wink

DKP III
christophe

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2008, 19:24:58 pm »

these were for a link pin car i presume -> donder59
but i'm interested as much as you are...
I would be interested in a set for ball joint. I send a mail.....I'll tell you
Jeroen

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 19:34:02 pm »

thanks Sarge Smiley. I am proud owner off it. best ride so far

bierderick: you also have to check your caster, camber of your car. it also will help. most guys never check that.
Wunder Wim

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2008, 20:08:25 pm »

For all of you interested:

the latest production batches of dropped spindles from CB performance are zero offset.
In the past when you bought a set of non-welded dropped spindles, they came from CB and increased the track about 1cm each side. When running aftermarked wheels, this could cause some tire to fender clearance issues.
CB was aware of this problem and started production of zero offset dropped spindles, these zero offset don't increase the track so everything is as VW intended (except for the ride height of course). So gone are the tire to fender clearance issues.
These zero offset dropped spindles are available for link pin and balljoint.

Hope this helps out your questions.

As for welded dropped spindles: the only dropped spindles available for the baywindow bus are welded (Im' not talking about the ones that are swapped from side to side, that's another issue), a lot of the fat chicks are using them at the moment and I haven't heard any complaint about breakage or cracks appearing. If welded spindles can carry the weight of a heavy bus, why wouldn't they be able to handle the weight of a bug assuming everything is done properly... Just to give you my opinion on welded dropped spindles so that's why I am in the progress of making my own welded dropped bay window spindles as over here in europe, they are so expensive...
christophe

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2008, 20:43:36 pm »

Thank you for you answer here and on my mail Smiley
Bad bug

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2008, 00:59:05 am »

the latest production batches of dropped spindles from CB performance are zero offset.
In the past when you bought a set of non-welded dropped spindles, they came from CB and increased the track about 1cm each side. When running aftermarked wheels, this could cause some tire to fender clearance issues.
CB was aware of this problem and started production of zero offset dropped spindles, these zero offset don't increase the track so everything is as VW intended (except for the ride height of course). So gone are the tire to fender clearance issues.

As for welded dropped spindles: the only dropped spindles available for the baywindow bus are welded (Im' not talking about the ones that are swapped from side to side, that's another issue), a lot of the fat chicks are using them at the moment and I haven't heard any complaint about breakage or cracks appearing. If welded spindles can carry the weight of a heavy bus, why wouldn't they be able to handle the weight of a bug assuming everything is done properly... Just to give you my opinion on welded dropped spindles so that's why I am in the progress of making my own welded dropped bay window spindles as over here in europe, they are so expensive...

Do you have a part number from cb for these zero offset balljoint drop spindle.
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2008, 05:29:53 am »

Cool hope this info. is correct. Thats great news if so.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 19:34:47 pm by Jason Foster » Logged

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2008, 19:44:27 pm »

bierderick: you also have to check your caster, camber of your car. it also will help. most guys never check that.

yeah, but i run caster shims and you don't...
guess we need to have a look when i'm in your garage again!! Wink

p.s. i'll look into the CB spindles, wim. thanks for the info!!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2008, 21:58:24 pm »

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=478

these still have an offset of 1/4"...

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Wunder Wim

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2008, 08:04:17 am »

Diederiek

Donder and I compared the spindles and we haven't noticed any offset, maybe the product info on the CB site isn't updated yet.

Greetz

Wim
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2008, 11:04:33 am »

so, these are the ones you're talking about?
my brother ordered these (4 lug drums) through vwparts in january and when he had mocked them up (i wasn't around) he said his 145s rubbed the fenders and he ended up narrowing his beam... did CB change them after that?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
67worshipper

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2008, 12:40:29 pm »

are the cb king and linkpin zero offset as well.ive just fitted a set and it seems good as far as offset is concerned

vw hot rod heaven
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2008, 12:49:30 pm »

wim is talking about a linkpin, as donder has a 59

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Wunder Wim

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2008, 17:25:38 pm »

According to my information, both link-pin and balljoint dropped spindles are zero offset.

Diederiek, maybe your brother bought a set they still had in stock from the old batch. Just my opinion.

Greetz

Wim
GreenTom

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2008, 18:39:12 pm »

I'm waiting for a shipent form CB and there will be a pair od BJ dropped spindles for discks I'll chceck them but I'm almost sure that they have still te 1/4" offset as the others we have in stock. I have mine for 2 years and yes they have offset. I runn repo MWS Gee bees and they push the whole wheel much outside much more than STD wheels but I was still able to put the wheel under the fender Smiley with the dropped CB spindles with discks and CB 2" narrowed beam

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 18:42:04 pm by GreenTom » Logged

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
bugnut68

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2008, 00:25:45 am »

All I know is I was uber pissed when I had to ditch my Fuch 914 2.0 liter alloys I got for 50 bucks because they wouldn't clear the bottom ball joint.  I did sell them for a considerably prettier penny, but they were the rims I really wanted for my '70, now I'm stuck with stock steelies.  Roll Eyes
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2008, 00:58:52 am »

All I know is I was uber pissed when I had to ditch my Fuch 914 2.0 liter alloys I got for 50 bucks because they wouldn't clear the bottom ball joint.  I did sell them for a considerably prettier penny, but they were the rims I really wanted for my '70, now I'm stuck with stock steelies.  Roll Eyes

That is due to the 4 3/4" backspace that a 914 wheel has. With slightly less backspace, the ball joint stays just out of the wheel. You could have had a tiny bit machined off of the inside of the wheel though, it wouldn't take much at all to make things clear.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
GreenTom

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2008, 07:21:35 am »

That is due to the 4 3/4" backspace that a 914 wheel has. With slightly less backspace, the ball joint stays just out of the wheel. You could have had a tiny bit machined off of the inside of the wheel though, it wouldn't take much at all to make things clear.
yest that is waht you could do.

almost thesame is with my repo Gee bees, the wheel fits with the ball joint but if YOu wanna counter weight it with sticker lead things it will ther them off. I had to put typical for steal rims lead weights.

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
67worshipper

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2008, 11:34:28 am »

wim is talking about a linkpin, as donder has a 59
thanks chap Wink i think i also could have got away with a standard width beam.running genuine 4.5 genuine fuchs which have great offset contribute to this plus the zero offset cb spindles.although the ride quality is still good.

vw hot rod heaven
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2008, 12:15:12 pm »

welcome Wink

That is due to the 4 3/4" backspace that a 914 wheel has. With slightly less backspace, the ball joint stays just out of the wheel.

zach, how much backspace is safe then?

does anyone know what the offset is for a 4.5" fooks?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
67worshipper

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2008, 20:49:04 pm »

welcome Wink

That is due to the 4 3/4" backspace that a 914 wheel has. With slightly less backspace, the ball joint stays just out of the wheel.

zach, how much backspace is safe then?

does anyone know what the offset is for a 4.5" fooks?
its the same as a standard steel vw wheel.its either 43 or 45 et

vw hot rod heaven
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: