The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 04:44:31 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Poohma
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Poohma  (Read 3293 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« on: September 20, 2008, 04:38:06 am »

I remember seeing a couple of Pumas that were imported from Brazil, many years ago. Has anyone ever built a big 48IDA engine, added some alloys, and had fun with one? I've always thought that would make a great project car.

Here is some history leading up to the Brazilian production.

Prior to producing the VW powered Pumas, the original Puma company built cars based on DKW components. When Volkswagen of Brazil took over the Brazilian DKW operation, which was known as Vemag, VW basically inherited the relationship between the two companies. Volkswagen could have abandoned Puma, but instead decided to continue to supply components to the small company. Two evolutionary models were built with DKW components. The original GT Malzoni was produced in small numbers as a sports racer. A few street cars were also built. Only about 35 Malzonis were made before it was replaced by a restyled version that was renamed the Puma GT. Both models were front wheel drive powered by DKW three cylinder two stroke engines.

This was the predecessor to the D.K.W. Puma GT.

The two persons most closely associated with the early days of Puma are Genaro ("Rino") Malzoni and Jorge Lettry. Rino Malzoni was an Italian immigrant who became successful as a lawyer and a sugar cane and cattle farmer. Malzoni liked racing and fast cars, and he set out to build his own racer with the help of Jorge Lettry, who headed the Vemag racing department. It was Lettry who tweaked the small DKW engines to produce upwards of 100 horsepower from 1000 cc's in the racing Malzonis. By all accounts, these cars did quite well against their larger displacement rivals. Although Vemag disappeared from the scene, Malzoni and Lettry continued their association, with Lettry suggesting the Puma name and becoming Puma's production chief. The success of the early DKW powered models paved the way for the VW based Pumas.

Two Malzonis at the Monterey Historic Races. Is that an Audi emblem on the yellow car?

1967 D.K.W. Puma GT coupe

The Puma is a Volkswagen based specialty sports car built in Brazil. Strict Brazilian regulations which restricted imports to encourage domestic automobile production led to the development of the Puma and other specialty vehicles. Production began in 1964 using DKW components, with a switch to VW components in 1967. This necessitated a change from front engine, front wheel drive to rear engine, rear wheel drive. The first Pumas were built strictly for racing, but it was not long before they were being built for street use. Pumas were sporadically imported to the U.S. during the 1970's and 1980's. Although the Puma was not designed as a kit car, the cars were imported in kit form. The "kit" was actually a complete car less the front suspension, transaxle, engine, wheels, and tires. The missing components were available from the distributor, or the buyer could supply the needed parts. Less restrictive regulations permitted the importation and marketing of complete cars in Canada. Pumas were also popular in South Africa, and an assembly plant was established there. Exports to Europe were limited to small numbers through a distributor in Switzerland. Puma built some front engine rear wheel drive models based on Brazilian Chevrolet components, but these were not exported. Once the Brazilian market was opened to imports, the domestic market for the Puma declined significantly. The original Puma company went into receivership in the mid-1980's, and production ended for a time. Production of both the VW and Chevrolet based models resumed when the Araucaria company bought the machinery and tooling. After a short period, production was taken over by Alfa Metais. A few rear engine Pumas with water cooled VW engines were made during the final years of production, but sales of these were low. Over 22,000 Puma automobiles were produced over the life of the marque.

I dig this one... looks like BRM wheels or something like that would bolt right on.

So, these cars are more "rare" than a '67 Bug. HAHA!! Sorry, but I crack up when I hear how "rare" my blue car is. I just laugh and tell 'em that 995,000 1967 Bugs were made. Show me how they're "rare."

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 06:25:51 am »

What he said!

I also park at Nick's.
ian c

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 09:40:25 am »

you can pick one up for around $4000.

you could allways use the 67 as a parts car for one Cheesy

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Sam K

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 16:47:19 pm »

Thanks for the Puma history lesson. I seem to remember one in the eighties that was a drag car. I think it was red and white and was campaigned by acompany called "car custom" or something. I see a couple of them in Denver from time to time. I wouldn't mind owning one.
ian c

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 17:08:47 pm »

theyre cool
remind me of a lil old lotus .

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: