The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 17:17:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  One down, one to go (find)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: One down, one to go (find)  (Read 6392 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« on: October 03, 2008, 16:45:59 pm »

I was digging around through my old VW stuff that I've had since the early '80s. I found THIS and it made my morning!

I just gotta locate the matching other one. Somewhere, I have a huge box full of European headlights, lenses, and manuals that was mailed to me from Germany, back then. I'd like to put these lights on my '67 and remove my universal Hella H4 headlights. Which aren't bad... but I prefer factory units.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 16:52:54 pm »

cool find Mark, it's a lot of fun to dig through your own old spider-infested boxes!

That looks like a '66 or earlier assembly though, not a '67 or later.  Undecided
Are you going to turn your Zenitblau car into a Euro '67?

I have an old moving box that I stashed a bunch of stuff in over the years, there are some cool (to me) parts stuffed in there, not all '67 stuff, but just old odd junk I've been given or found over the years. Some of it can't be bought new anymore, so I'm glad I bought it when I could. One thing that was lost over the years, and it still keeps me awake "wondering" is a very cherry Santana power pulley I bought @ Sears Pt in 1992 for $5.00
Discovered it missing in summer of 1999 (I used to keep it wrapped in a tube sock in my dresser), and never been able to track it down. I did score a even nicer one from Mark Voegtly though later that year. It's my "winter pulley"

What else is in your old boxes Mark?  Cool
Rennsurfer

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 17:09:31 pm »

cool find Mark, it's a lot of fun to dig through your own old spider-infested boxes!

That looks like a '66 or earlier assembly though, not a '67 or later.  Undecided
Are you going to turn your Zenitblau car into a Euro '67?

I have an old moving box that I stashed a bunch of stuff in over the years, there are some cool (to me) parts stuffed in there, not all '67 stuff, but just old odd junk I've been given or found over the years. Some of it can't be bought new anymore, so I'm glad I bought it when I could. One thing that was lost over the years, and it still keeps me awake "wondering" is a very cherry Santana power pulley I bought @ Sears Pt in 1992 for $5.00
Discovered it missing in summer of 1999 (I used to keep it wrapped in a tube sock in my dresser), and never been able to track it down. I did score a even nicer one from Mark Voegtly though later that year. It's my "winter pulley"

What else is in your old boxes Mark?  Cool

Sorry, Jim... but that assembly that I'm holding only fits the late front fenders, and not the early ones. Guess my photography skills are on SUCK mode, this morning. HAHAHA!!! Nope, I'll never make my '67 look like a Euro one. I've always favored the U.S. version more.

Sheesh, I used to sell Santana pulleys for a living. Who knew?

~Sarge
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 03:59:02 am »

Give us the details on the difference between that and your current H4s...?  I'm guessing it has something to do with the screws at 2:00 and 7:00?  Cool setup. 

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 05:10:31 am »

BIG difference with my Hella H4 lights that are currently in my car. They're simple universal lights with the standard U.S. spec headlight trim ring that's separate. The light mounts inside of the U.S. spec bucket.

The Euro spec. unit that I'm holding in the pic is a one piece assembly and the aiming adjustment can be made without removing the trim ring. On the U.S. versions, we always had to remove 'em. I like the one piece look, better. Most people would never notice the difference. When my friend, Jim, was stationed in Germany from 1981-1988, he'd mail me tons of German beer, license plates, German car stuff, and anything he get his hand on. I could never afford to travel there (I'm half German and really want to go there to visit the town with the same name as my last name) so Jim brought Germany to me. HAHA!!

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 05:15:02 am »

I bet all the buildings in the town of Kessenich are orange.

I also park at Nick's.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 05:15:45 am »

lots of empty swimming pools there, Mark?
javabug

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 14:05:52 pm »

Thanks, Mark.  That's a good-looking unit.  I want to put H4s in my car someday, and now the universals I would have bought seem lackluster!   Cool

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 14:18:36 pm »

I bet all the buildings in the town of Kessenich are orange.

HAHA!! Sounds like the lyrics to Planet Clair / B-52s ("No one ever dies there, all the trees are red.) Sounds like Sarge's planet.

lots of empty swimming pools there, Mark?

In Germany? I highly doubt it. But I hear that Europe does have a decent variety of skateparks. That'll werke for me.

Thanks, Mark. That's a good-looking unit. I want to put H4s in my car someday, and now the universals I would have bought seem lackluster!   Cool

You're welcome. I notice that most of the Cal Look cars that I see on The Lounge (from overseas) have the Bosch or Hella type like in my picture. I rarely see people using them in the States. Another reason that I want them. Hopefully, I can find that other box.

Another cool feature on my Bosch unit; it's got a provision to run a small bulb next to the halogen bulb. It's gonna be wired up to my parking lights.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 14:20:18 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
javabug

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 20:07:21 pm »

Another cool feature on my Bosch unit; it's got a provision to run a small bulb next to the halogen bulb. It's gonna be wired up to my parking lights. [/b]

City lights!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 20:11:58 pm »

Another cool feature on my Bosch unit; it's got a provision to run a small bulb next to the halogen bulb. It's gonna be wired up to my parking lights. [/b]

City lights!

You don't have this on US headlights ?

Rennsurfer

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 23:44:20 pm »

Nope, we never had that city light feature on the '67 and later recessed VW headlights for the Type 1 cars. We had stupid sealed beams. USELESS!

~Sarge
Neil Davies

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 09:54:40 am »

Funnily enough I'm not a fan of the headlights that adjust through the rim - I've swapped out the ones on the 70/72 for some late Super Beetle units. I found the earlier ones a pain to adjust, (probably because the wings were shot) and most importantly, the reflectors in the later lights seem to last better - I've got eight or nine early latemodel headlamps and hardly any of them have much silver left. I had an NOS pair of Hella's, but had to cut them up to use them in my Karmann Ghia.
The small bulb in the headlamps is a legal requirement here in the UK, we call it a "sidelight". Has Jim spotted that one in his Haynes manual? Wink

On a side note, theres currently a stupid debate going on in Brussels about forcing all cars in Europe to have their sidelights on all the time to increase visibility. That'll be a GREAT idea in, say, Greece in July! Angry It's legislation to protect stupid people. "Oh look, a storm is coming and it's starting to get a little dark. I wish I had my lights on but I just can't figure out how to make them work..." Morons! And don't get me started on people who insist on driving around wit their fog lights on when it's not foggy! Angry Angry Grin

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant! Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
javabug

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 13:41:23 pm »

Oh yeah, they started that here years ago—"daytime running lights."  They're for people who cannot see a 3000 lb. steel object traveling toward them in broad daylight.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 14:25:59 pm »

On a side note, theres currently a stupid debate going on in Brussels about forcing all cars in Europe to have their sidelights on all the time to increase visibility. That'll be a GREAT idea in, say, Greece in July! Angry It's legislation to protect stupid people. "Oh look, a storm is coming and it's starting to get a little dark. I wish I had my lights on but I just can't figure out how to make them work..." Morons! And don't get me started on people who insist on driving around wit their fog lights on when it's not foggy! Angry Angry Grin

I totally agree ! If they can't see a car the day if it haven't lights on, so they'd better stop driving.

Rennsurfer

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 16:00:39 pm »

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant! Cheesy

No, that's not a rant. The idea of a country doing what you posted is rather silly. I fully agree with you.

~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 21:19:08 pm »

Nope, we never had that city light feature on the '67 and later recessed VW headlights for the Type 1 cars. We had stupid sealed beams. USELESS!

I always like the city lights. My old friend Billy Alexander had a set of H4's in his squareback that had the city light bulb. Very ghostly looking at night.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 01:43:42 am »

I always like the city lights. My old friend Billy Alexander had a set of H4's in his squareback that had the city light bulb. Very ghostly looking at night.

I used to run motorcycle Hella H4 headlights on my orange car for a short while. Same thing... they had the the small running light bulb provision, thus allowing a city light effect. Very cool looking with my factory parking lights when I had that car. Then, I got bored with those and put late '60s 911 Euro lenses and headlights with 6v tungsten bulbs and painted my headlight trim rings. That's how the car was when I sold it. Looked SO nice.

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 03:17:06 am »

Well, where is the other one?

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 13:24:12 pm »

Well, where is the other one?

Eluding me. If I ever find it... I'll post pics of them on my car. I'm starting to give up hope. Although I'm finding a lot of cool other stuff.

~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 17:31:23 pm »

Just run one, Mark.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 00:57:54 am »

Just run one, Mark.

No.

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 03:14:23 am »

If you'll notice, Mark never wears matching shoes. He only has one of each shoe.

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 13:25:01 pm »

If you'll notice, Mark never wears matching shoes. He only has one of each shoe.

Not much, anymore, these days... but in junior and high school, I did that with my Vans deck shoes. Drove the teachers nuts.

~Sarge
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 17:14:42 pm »

There is a pair of used ones on the samba.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Rennsurfer

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 00:46:49 am »

There is a pair of used ones on the samba.

Yep, and there is a pair at Bugs For You in Orange. I have a box of 'em somewhere. Just gotta find that box. Life was good in the '80s for me... had tons of car and non-car stuff sent from Germany on a weekly basis till about 1989.

Thanks, though, Danny.

~Sarge
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: