The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 02:51:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Dropped spindles and 14" wheels
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dropped spindles and 14" wheels  (Read 4975 times)
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« on: September 08, 2008, 23:36:29 pm »

I have started a topic on dropped spindles etc... And I'm thinking of perhaps installing them this winter.
Now, I'm wondering whether they can be combined with 14" wheels or will there be interference with the ball joints?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 00:24:07 am »

Won't work, sorry!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 00:42:40 am »

Won't work, sorry!

Why? Please explain. Will the smaller wheels rub on the ball joints or some other structure?

Huh

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 00:55:11 am »

The wheels will rub on the ball joints. Check out how close a dropped splindle ball joint is to the inside of a 15" wheel and you'll see what I mean.

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 00:58:24 am »

When you change the center point of the spindle it is now offset and no longer in the center on a 14 inch wheel the lower ball joint will rub on the inside of the wheel it will clear on a 15 but not a 14

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Sam K

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 02:56:45 am »

Heck, depending on the wheels, even some 15" wheels won't clear. My fuchs are so close to the lower ball joints that I can't use wheels weights. It has a bit of a shimmy around 65 to 70 mph.
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 07:32:03 am »

Heck, depending on the wheels, even some 15" wheels won't clear. My fuchs are so close to the lower ball joints that I can't use wheels weights. It has a bit of a shimmy around 65 to 70 mph.

I have the same problem.
The worst was when I try to use a Puma front beam. The ball joint ripped in the wheels.
GreenTom

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 08:18:37 am »

I have the same problem.
The worst was when I try to use a Puma front beam. The ball joint ripped in the wheels.
had the same  problem but I used the typical weights for steal rims (the ones you push into the wheel side not the one you stinc to the wheel) its is Ok no damadge to the wheel at all.

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 09:21:32 am »

such a shame Sad

but thanks for clarifying!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Anders-DK

Less is more

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 09:43:00 am »

Some years ago, I have had a set of 5½x14 Fuchs wheels together with CB dropped spindles and vent. disc (the vent disc might give a little more offset, so that’s maybe why it gave enough clearance)
It was meant to be used on my '58 ragtop, and there was no problem, but the 14" was really close to hit the spindles.

I know it can't be done with normal disc and ball joint, but maybe the thick vent. disc could give some offset to give the same clearance as I got on the link pin spindles, just a thought.

Anders
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 09:44:43 am by Anders-DK » Logged

Best Regards
Anders
The Priest Racing
PR-Chief Team Angora Racing
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 10:53:09 am »

i found a '62 that runs dropped spindles and 14" fuchs. so it's gotta be due to the balljoint.
if that were true then spacers would work as well?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Sam K

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 14:25:57 pm »

If you were to use a set oif the old "Jatech" style dropped spiindles which were basically two stock spindles that were cut up and welded together, it would probably work. The only drawback is that it increases your track buy 1/2 to 3/4 inches on each side so you would have to narrow the beam. I had a set on my '67 a long time ago with a stock width beam and the tires would rub the fenders every time I hit the brakes. I only had the on for couple days.
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 22:11:03 pm »

The wheels will rub on the ball joints. Check out how close a dropped splindle ball joint is to the inside of a 15" wheel and you'll see what I mean.

got me thinking... can these be offset by using spacers? how thick should they be?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Project_X

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 05:15:46 am »

might be stupid to ask but what if you use the balljoints for lowering?

By the way I was gonna ask the same about 13" wheels an drop spindles..HAH!

Thinking outside the box? hmm...I dont wanna play in the box no more, so Im stepping out for a while..
Aircooled for a reason, waters for boats!
Sam K

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 06:42:41 am »

The balljoints for lowered cars have a longer travel but are externally the same dimensions as a stock balljoint. I have heard of people grinding on the bottom of the control arm to get a little more clearance, but there isn't a whole lot of material there to remove.
Bendik

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 19:43:27 pm »

Will 14" wheels work with a link pin beam?
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 20:52:19 pm »

got me thinking... can these be offset by using spacers? how thick should they be?

Probably... but you would certainly have to narrow the beam.

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 21:13:19 pm »

problem is the minimum is 2" otherwise you can't fit a a sway bar. and 2" might be a bit too much...

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 22:09:49 pm »

I don't know how much you want to lower the front of your car, but if you want a cal-look "traditionnal" lowering you don't necessary need some dropped spindles. For my experience in vw's, I think an adjustable beam with shocks that fit your lowering are ok. That's what I run on my beetle. + if you put 14" wheels it will lower the car compared to 15".
Just for example I drive every day a golf mk1, lowered with 4 Weitec shocks that cost me $$$. This kind of suspension (McPherson) is supposed to be more modern that a ball joint beam, but I can tell you that the beetle is 1000 times more pleasing, soft and comfortable to drive than the golf, and it has nicer reactions on the road. The golf is a real truck, you need big arms to turn the wheels, suspension is hard as hell, and it ruins your back Cheesy. With the beetle it's like if you drive on cotton and silk Cheesy Grin.

Grin Grin

1957lowlight

Philip Steenackers

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 19:31:04 pm »

Hello,

I had indeed the same problem with dropped spindles and my 4,5 inch Fuchs 15 inch wheels, but for everything there is a sollution.  I had the spindles machined in a workshop so the balljoint comes 4mm higher.  All I needed to do was to use some washers on top of the spindle before bolding the balljoint.  I'm not sure if it will work with 14 inch wheels too...
Project_X

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 15:29:58 pm »

since drop spindles dont clear his or my wheels  Grin
Could just and adjustable beam be used, then lowered 3"?
Would there be any issues besides rougher ride or whatever, and is it safe, since I was told its unsafe?

Thinking outside the box? hmm...I dont wanna play in the box no more, so Im stepping out for a while..
Aircooled for a reason, waters for boats!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: