The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 15:04:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350838 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Lug nut torque ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Lug nut torque ?  (Read 5371 times)
kingsburgphil

« on: February 23, 2010, 04:59:08 am »

This is kinda embarrassing, but what is the correct lug nut torque for ERCO's with clean & dry 14 mm studs, 19 mm steel nuts and radiused alloy "washers".

While torquing the nuts the washers don't "like" anything over 70 ft. lbs. (Snap On & Proto torque wrench's). I've been away from VW's for far too long (blame GM) so I could use a bit of professional advice.

ft. lbs, or Nm, are ok.

P. S.   Anyone have any input on using 911 alloy lug nuts?  How about trimming the ends open per NHRA specs?   

Neil Davies

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 10:12:20 am »

This is kinda embarrassing, but what is the correct lug nut torque for ERCO's with clean & dry 14 mm studs, 19 mm steel nuts and radiused alloy "washers".

While torquing the nuts the washers don't "like" anything over 70 ft. lbs. (Snap On & Proto torque wrench's). I've been away from VW's for far too long (blame GM) so I could use a bit of professional advice.

ft. lbs, or Nm, are ok.

P. S.   Anyone have any input on using 911 alloy lug nuts?  How about trimming the ends open per NHRA specs?   

I never used a torque wrench for mine, I just did them up until the felt tight, if that makes any sense. I used the regular closed end nuts they were supplied with, and had to remove one every now and again to prove to the scrutineer that the stud extended far enough into the closed nut.
As far as the 911 alloy nuts, I seem to remember reading that it's a bad idea to open the ends up because of it compromising their strength due to the material, but I might be wrong! Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
bang

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 10:37:56 am »

did mine 85nm if you torq more the alu washer will crack.
richie

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 11:09:20 am »

Phil,
Using the porsche nuts with Erco washers on ercos I torque to 90ft/lbs,never had an issue with washers cracking.I use the nuts with the ends enclosed still,not had a problem at tech with it like this Smiley

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
kingsburgphil

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 06:35:55 am »

Thanks guys,  I'll try again to torque the steel nuts to something approaching 90 ft/lbs. The last time, the nuts felt like they were "going thru" the
washers, and common sense said "stop".

Regarding the Porsche lug nuts, I seen quite a few "twisted" nuts without them being modified. If tech will accept a closed end nut.....more power to us.

Thanks again for your input  Wink

Neil Davies

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 09:49:32 am »

Thanks guys,  I'll try again to torque the steel nuts to something approaching 90 ft/lbs. The last time, the nuts felt like they were "going thru" the
washers, and common sense said "stop".

Regarding the Porsche lug nuts, I seen quite a few "twisted" nuts without them being modified. If tech will accept a closed end nut.....more power to us.

Thanks again for your input  Wink

Phil, I think the rule for the closed nuts is that the stud must protrude into the nut AT LEAST one diameter of the stud. So a 12mm dia. stud needs to have at least 12mm of thread in the nut. Common sense says that you don't want so much sticking out that the nut bottoms out either though.
I'll check the rule book later if I can - it'll be something similar for UK and US I would think.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
beetlemic

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 20:27:25 pm »

Just bought this Erco wheels, the race version.
Do someone know were i can find bolts and washers?

-michael

If It Sounds Good,It Is Good!!;)
Eric Ellis (57HotrodVW)

Just wait, you'll see...

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 00:03:01 am »

ft. lbs, or Nm, are ok.

Torque specs for various fasteners varies depending on material, but you can find a reference table for steel bolt torque specifications at http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque.htm (standard) and http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque1.htm (metric).

Not sure about the Porsche alloy nuts specifically, but I do know that the open ended aluminum lug nuts that Mark Williams makes are NHRA legal. I have a set, and believe that the wall thickness is much greater than the alloy Porsche nuts that I've seen.

Just bought this Erco wheels, the race version.
Do someone know were i can find bolts and washers?

I purchased a nice set from David Cornatzer - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=536285

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 00:06:26 am by Eric Ellis (57HotrodVW) » Logged

kingsburgphil

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 04:07:44 am »

I needed to to test drive the cantankerous beast last week, so first I set "ol" reliable Snap On torque wrench to 90 lbs. All twenty lug nuts "clicked", If
they're happy, I'm happy.

BTW, the barely drivable beast is now just a big pussycat, changing the clutch disc,throttle linkage adding syncro's and losing the spool has made the car quite drivable.

Who say's an Fk 89, 51.5's and ported Comp E's won't work on the street ?......it's just my cup o' tea, but not necessarily anyone else's  Grin
Next up is putting the "baby on the bottle".

Thanks again for the quality input
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 07:25:17 am by kingsburgphil » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: