The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 12:10:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  How do I change 4 lug type3 to big 5 lug?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How do I change 4 lug type3 to big 5 lug?  (Read 2948 times)
8 spoke

« on: October 20, 2008, 11:38:14 am »

any Info please.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 11:44:28 am »

Try asking Danny Gabbard he should know! (he is a member here to)

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
nicolas

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:07:47 pm »

you have to swap the spindles up front alltogether and the drums off course. at the back you can install the drums from the backing plate. the arms are correct and all. at the back it is easy, the front can be a bit more tricky as you'll need the spindles as well and maybe the steering arms are different as well... but i think those can be swapped.
the real problem is the different size in bearings from early to late type3's (depending what year you have.) hope this helps.

Neil Davies

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:14:38 pm »

It's going to be quite easy on the front - CSP disc kit. Not cheap, but I've heard nothing but good. On the back - you may be able to just swap the drums for earlier ones, but you may need to get some small spacers machined up to fit between the drum and the bearing carrier if you want to use the later shoes and backing plates.

Edit - Nicolas beat me to it!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Bryan67

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 15:02:41 pm »

Its easy. For the rear just swap the drums. Everything is the same. You might need to drill some holes in the backing plates to adjust the brakes. Early brakes have them but later ones do not. For the front you either use early drums and spindles (Not the best way), Use something like the CSP disc brake kit (The best way), or just use an adapter (The worst way).

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
nicolas

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 21:17:04 pm »

just may i ask why you want to swap from 4 to 5 lugs on a later model type3. i have had this dillema for years and if it is not a racecar it is probally not worth it... in my honest opinion off course. the money involved to make the swap or get the CSP brakes will be sufficient to have all the 4 lug wheels you can think off probally and the clearance problem off a type3 (small offset) wont be fixed...
the only car i have seen that looked OK with a wide5 conversion, was actually a wide5 fastback from 66 that was made in South Africa, where they used the parts that were available. so it came from the factory with a wide5 and other parts that are not common on our 'western' type3's. there is also a big difference in interiuer between early and later (66 and on) models. maybe it will look a bit like a 65 model as it still has a wide5, but interieurwise it is a 66. sorry to ramble on, but can you post some pics, i would like to see what you are doing anyway.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: