The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 19:44:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351095 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Fram filter oil leak
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Fram filter oil leak  (Read 9356 times)
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 16:28:25 pm »

Just had a thought(just the 1) have you bled the oil system? i.e. fill the sump, coil lead off,return oil line into a container and cranked over, more oil crank over, more oil until you start getting oil through the return hose, bit like bleeding a water system on a regular car

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Sarge

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 16:41:22 pm »

So, Ron....when did your oil leak start?  Has your motor been together long?  Has it always had a leak?  The only time I ever blew up an oil filter or two was on my old sandrail.  The oil pressure relief by the oil pump was stuck.  The case I had at the time had all the oil galley plugs drilled and tapped for pipe plugs.  The one by the pressure relief valve got tapped a little deep and the plug came in contact with the relief plunger.  By backing the plug out just a touch, the plunger fell right out in the sand.  It's extremely unusual to have a problem with an HP-1... there's got to be a reason someplace.  I'd look at the plungers and springs and use stock OEM stuff.

DKP III
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2008, 17:28:13 pm »

Just had a thought(just the 1) have you bled the oil system? i.e. fill the sump, coil lead off,return oil line into a container and cranked over, more oil crank over, more oil until you start getting oil through the return hose, bit like bleeding a water system on a regular car

I havent bled the system but I did fill the oil fillter and crank it over untill i got the green oil pressure light, I'll bleed it through when I get home, Like you, I did think air lock but thought that with the oil beig under that sort of pressure it wouldnt be that!   

So, Ron....when did your oil leak start?  Has your motor been together long?  Has it always had a leak?  The only time I ever blew up an oil filter or two was on my old sandrail.  The oil pressure relief by the oil pump was stuck.  The case I had at the time had all the oil galley plugs drilled and tapped for pipe plugs.  The one by the pressure relief valve got tapped a little deep and the plug came in contact with the relief plunger.  By backing the plug out just a touch, the plunger fell right out in the sand.  It's extremely unusual to have a problem with an HP-1... there's got to be a reason someplace.  I'd look at the plungers and springs and use stock OEM stuff.

This all seems to have started with an oil change which I did at the same time as it started to get colder here.

I'ts a all new engine thats done about 3000 trouble free miles that I have been really pleased with. There has always been a small leak oil around the inlet hose to the filter mount that is now cured , that was nothing big just a pain getting oil on the muffler.

I know its something that I 've done but cant figure out what, as it was fine before.

It only blows the fillter when its been cold outside 5 c or lower. If it does start without blowing the fillter or gasket its fine on tickover but the pressure seems to blow the oil through the gasket on the filter on a run regardless. Pressure wise it shows 25 psi on tickover when cold and 12.5-15psi on tickover when hot. On a run its about 30psi cruzing and 40-45 psi when gunning it.  I did see it spike on the pressure gauge once back in the summer upto 70 psi but I've never seen it do that again.

I'll try bleeding it through as Ben says and see if that cures it check the hoses for kinks etc if all fails then it sound like it time to drop the oil and get the plungers out   Cry

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2008, 17:31:32 pm »

run it with just the filter, no cooler, just try to eliminate the problem a step at a time

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Rocket Ron

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 17:36:30 pm »

run it with just the filter, no cooler, just try to eliminate the problem a step at a time

maybe a good idea, who needs cooling at this time of year in the uk  Grin

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Rocket Ron

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2008, 18:30:00 pm »

for anyone who has had this problem

I amanged to solve it today buy bleening the oil from pump through all the lines back to the case

refitted the csp oil fillter and it seems to have solved it

Thank you to all who have taken the time to help me out with tips etc.

Big thanks to
Gunter
Ben
Lee
Zach
Frenchy
Jim
Bruce
Race Head and  Sarge
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 18:33:01 pm by rocket ron » Logged

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2008, 18:59:48 pm »

Ron, i still would check the plungers. Just in case... (Just think of it, you have better tolerances now on the filter
and filtermount, but ..)

Just my 2 cts.

Done ? Not Yet.
Sarge

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2008, 03:01:23 am »

Ron, i still would check the plungers. Just in case... (Just think of it, you have better tolerances now on the filter
and filtermount, but ..)

Just my 2 cts.

Me, too.  No grooved oil plungers, either...just the plain ones with stock springs and plugs.

DKP III
Rocket Ron

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2008, 09:38:43 am »

and filtermount, but ..)

Just my 2 cts.

Me, too.  No grooved oil plungers, either...just the plain ones with stock springs and plugs.

I'll have a look at the weekend

Regards Ron

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

richie

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2008, 01:21:34 am »

it sounds to me like the back pressure is in the lines to the case,this is why you arent seeing excessive pressure on the guage,its possible you have some debris in the cooler or line that is restricting it causing the problem before the plungers can bleed offf the excess pressure,hopefully you already solved it but if not you need to lose the cooler and see what happens then Smiley

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Rocket Ron

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2008, 13:37:25 pm »

it sounds to me like the back pressure is in the lines to the case,this is why you arent seeing excessive pressure on the guage,its possible you have some debris in the cooler or line that is restricting it causing the problem before the plungers can bleed offf the excess pressure,hopefully you already solved it but if not you need to lose the cooler and see what happens then Smiley

cheers richie

Bled the lines and all ok now.

Yesterday morning was real cold but she started with no problems. Now got a routine of cranking the engine over a good few times to get the oil going round the lines before giving it a single pump on the accelerator to start.

now out enjoying the car again Smiley

« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 13:40:43 pm by rocket ron » Logged

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: