The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 12:31:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Crusin' with Sarge
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Crusin' with Sarge  (Read 7648 times)
Sarge

« on: November 13, 2008, 01:32:56 am »

Ah, a week of vacation... what to do??  Time to head north to the Central Coast for a little wine and good food, not to mention some excellent back-road driving and sight seeing.  Headed out Monday morning for the Santa Ynez Valley under sunny clear skies and arrived just before noon at The Los Olivos Grocery Store for a Turkey and Bacon sandwich which we took over to Beckmen Vineyards.  After tasting through some nice Rhone style reds, we hit one of the picnik tables out in the vineyard and enjoyed our lunch.  This area has an honest 80-90 wineries to visit, so there's never a shortage of places to visit.  Our next stop was at Melville Vineyards a few miles away for some really tasty Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.  Melville's tasting room and grounds are beautiful this time of year with all the vines and trees turning colors.  The Italian motif looked sharp against the blue sky.  Next door is Foley Estate with more Burgundian style wines... this place has 500+ acres under vine and a beautiful new facility.  After drinking all that juice, time for a trip over to The Hitchin' Post for a grilled artichoke.  These come with an ancho chili mayo dipping sauce and are out of this world.  Dinner at Mattie's Tavern was Horseradish Crusted Salmon and more Pinot Noir.   http://www.matteistavern.com/   The food at this place is not to be missed!

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 01:34:29 am »

more... Wink

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 01:36:06 am »

more... Shocked

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 01:36:15 am »

dude, take it easy....   Shocked
Sarge

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 01:38:01 am »

dude, take it easy....   Shocked

Relax dude, I'm home already Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 01:49:43 am »

Day two, we decided to take a "Ratto Cruise" from Lompoc up to Cambria on Hwy 1, then over to Paso Robles on Hwy 46, then south on Hwy 101 to Santa Maria before heading east on Foxen Canyon Road back to Solvang.  The day started a little foggy Roll Eyes but turned nice after we got out of Lompoc and onto Hwy 1.  It's always fun to cruise the road less traveled... Lompoc is a place that looks like a small mid-west town from the the 50's.  They have a mural program there and many of the downtown buildings have nicely painted scenes on there sides.  I can't recall too many old style theaters around these days and was amazed to see not only the Lompoc walk-in, but further up the road, the spacey looking Valley Drive-In.  The next town along the way was Guadalupe... that pink building look way out of place downtown.....

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 01:59:40 am »

Next up was the town of Oceano... cards anybody?  Oceano is the way onto the sand dunes at Pismo Beach where you can actually still drive motor vehicles on the sand.  Sharon and I brought our first sand rail here in 1977 for Fourth of July... a trip we'll never forget.  My pictures show nobody around today, but back then, it was all you could do to get onto the beach... the crowd was huge.  You need to wait for low tide to drive out onto the sand... failure to do so could get you stuck in a jiffy and broke after paying big$$$ to get yanked out.

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 02:10:11 am »

Next up, San Luis Obispo and a quick stop out front of the Museum.  Heading north on Hwy 1, you pass Moro Rock before arriving at Cayucos, a cool beach town with a pier to walk out on and no fast food joints to be seen anywhere.  We always stop at the Sea Shanty Inn for fish and chips but one of their huge cinnamon rolls got our attention this time as it was a little early for lunch.  Off to Paso Robles and a stop at Linne Calodo Winery for some killer juice and another quick stop at a new place called Red Soles.

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 02:14:44 am »

After leaving Paso, we headed down to Santa Maria for a hamburger before heading out to Foxen Canyon.  This is a beautiful drive in the country and a place that keeps us coming back for more.  Dinner at Grappolo's in Santa Ynez was a fitting capper to two days of bliss.

DKP III
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 02:16:16 am »

Awesome pictures Sarge..............   Shocked 

you polaroid pictures look digital..................!!!  Roll Eyes

Thanks for sharing...................... car looks good by the way!!!  Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 08:14:37 am »

Yeah, how is that Honda of yours? Looks kinda OK in white.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Luftkraft

You know Gil Gonzales?

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 09:37:09 am »

Great trip. Reminds me of "Sideways"  Smiley

LUFTKRAFT Hopped-Up Vee Dubs since 1998
LOWTECH Traditional Hot Rods and Customs Online

...because stock sucks.
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 12:33:10 pm »

Cool pics Sarge, keep rubbing it in  Cheesy Overhere the weather just plain sucks.

Done ? Not Yet.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 13:38:12 pm »

Looks like you had a great time. Cool pics!

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Sarge

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 14:25:24 pm »

Awesome pictures Sarge..............   Shocked 

you polaroid pictures look digital..................!!!  Roll Eyes

Thanks for sharing...................... car looks good by the way!!!  Grin

I got your digital right here! Grin

Yeah, how is that Honda of yours? Looks kinda OK in white.

Why I oughta..... Wink

Great trip. Reminds me of "Sideways"  Smiley

It WAS a Sideways trip!  Wish you could have heard this old duffer at the Hitchin' Post bar making a pass (make that MANY passes) at two large English gals that dropped in for a wine tasting...Hahahahahaaaaaa! SICK!!

Cool pics Sarge, keep rubbing it in  Cheesy Overhere the weather just plain sucks.

Sorry dude... lemme buy you a glass of Pinot Grin

Looks like you had a great time. Cool pics!

--louis

Thanks for the props, Louis... that trip is ALWAYS fun! Grin

DKP III
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 14:38:02 pm »

Nice pics, looks like an enjoyable trip.

Its fun to try and guess how much wine you've tasted by how much the pictures are tilted.   Grin Shocked Grin

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 16:24:11 pm »

Nice pics, looks like an enjoyable trip.

Its fun to try and guess how much wine you've tasted by how much the pictures are tilted.   Grin Shocked Grin

hahahahah Grin

Cheesy Cheesy
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 17:46:45 pm »

Nice trip.

Jim Ratto

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 18:00:04 pm »

Does look like a fun and well deserved trip, Sarge. That whole central coast area is rich in cool scenery and typically awesome weather year round. Mary Ann and I have a soft spot for Pismo, S.L.O, Paso Robles, and Santa Barbara. Before I made the move to So Cal in fall of 2005, we'd meet on the weekends in one of these sleepy towns and take many road trips up to Cambria, Big Sur, James Dean memorial on Hwy 46, and the metropolitan area of Parkfield.
hey look, it's the 13th.... it was 4 years ago today Mary Ann and I met for the first time in Santa Barbara.  Cool
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 18:40:24 pm »

Does look like a fun and well deserved trip, Sarge. That whole central coast area is rich in cool scenery and typically awesome weather year round. Mary Ann and I have a soft spot for Pismo, S.L.O, Paso Robles, and Santa Barbara. Before I made the move to So Cal in fall of 2005, we'd meet on the weekends in one of these sleepy towns and take many road trips up to Cambria, Big Sur, James Dean memorial on Hwy 46, and the metropolitan area of Parkfield.
hey look, it's the 13th.... it was 4 years ago today Mary Ann and I met for the first time in Santa Barbara.  Cool

Stop typing dude.........go get a gift before you get in trouble and no car fun for us on Saturday!!!  Grin

Congrats buddy!!!  Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers
Sarge

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 18:45:20 pm »

Stop typing dude.........go get a gift before you get in trouble and no car fun for us on Saturday!!!  Grin

Congrats buddy!!!  Grin

Yeah, get busy  Roll Eyes Grin Grin Grin

DKP III
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 19:43:59 pm »

Congrats buddy!!!  Grin

Yeah, get busy  Roll Eyes Grin Grin Grin

Yeah, listen to what Corp says! Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
vwcab

peter

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 00:03:29 am »

Nice trip you had & beautiful pic's.
BTW Sarge,nice white "late-looker".  Grin  Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Sarge

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 01:12:06 am »

Nice trip you had & beautiful pic's.
BTW Sarge,nice white "late-looker".  Grin  Wink

Thanks, man!  Much as I love my '67, the "other" car has really spoiled me... go figure. Smiley

DKP III
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 03:34:49 am »

Yay! My stupid modem is finally running fast, tonight... so I can see these pics load.

Good job, Sarge.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 09:12:41 am »

Nice trip Sarge. I've always wanted to do that. So when's the DKP ( Der Killer Pinot) wine mixed with a litlle moonshine coming out? Grin Shocked

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 23:05:55 pm »

nice road trip bro  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
vwcab

peter

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 23:25:34 pm »

Hi Speedwell,you're back  Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
alfie the monster

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 01:29:03 am »

How did I guess it would involve vino Sarge  Wink

New ride looks cool too, when we get a nice day I'll sort out some pics of my new Alfa, it's the tits  Grin

JG54 Grunherz
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: