The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 01:18:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  wiring in the tunnel
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: wiring in the tunnel  (Read 2567 times)
CHR!S/DVK

« on: December 05, 2008, 04:23:23 am »

now i'm fixing my shifting problem i've removed my shifting rod and got some nice space and sight in the tunnel.
thought it would be a nice moment to start getting the wiring for my gauges in there.

where should i enter the tunnel and where to exit?
do i need to pack the wiring in some protecting coat? what would be best?

thanks

Member of DVK - Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Russell

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 14:11:00 pm »

Chris
If its gauges in the dash i woulkd recommend going inside the roof  gutter where the wire for the interior light runs, you can get them all the way to the engine bay from there, this keeps them clean and safe and dry.

Inside the tunnel is a lot of hassle for little gain...... Wink

Best Regards

Russell
Neil Davies

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 14:26:02 pm »

What Russell said, but if you are determined to run them in the tunnel, then fit a PLASTIC tube inside the tunnel and run them through that. Don't use metal, shorts are no fun - when one short happens and melts the insulation off the wire it allows more shorts which means more melting, which leads to smoke from every where and can even see your cylinder head temp sender glowing so hot it starts to melt though the rubber fuel line... ask me how I know! Shocked

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Sarge

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 14:30:08 pm »

What Russell said, but if you are determined to run them in the tunnel, then fit a PLASTIC tube inside the tunnel and run them through that. Don't use metal, shorts are no fun - when one short happens and melts the insulation off the wire it allows more shorts which means more melting, which leads to smoke from every where and can even see your cylinder head temp sender glowing so hot it starts to melt though the rubber fuel line... ask me how I know! Shocked

HOLY SHIT!!!!

DKP III
Neil Davies

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 14:33:15 pm »

It was the scrutineer who pointed out the smoke too... Stood having a chat, waiting for him to start checking the car and he just casually asked if the smoke was supposed to be coming from the engine bay and wheelarch! Shocked

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Speed-Randy

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 15:34:44 pm »

as an electrician, I run wire in metal conduit all day long(480v), no shorts, metal conduit is not the problem, you just have to have someone feed the wire as you pull so as not to scrape the insulation off the wire, they also make plastic bushings for the ends of the conduit so the wire doesn't rub there. But I agree with russel and run  it thru the head liner

CHR!S/DVK

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 23:04:12 pm »

Chris
If its gauges in the dash i woulkd recommend going inside the roof  gutter where the wire for the interior light runs, you can get them all the way to the engine bay from there, this keeps them clean and safe and dry.

Inside the tunnel is a lot of hassle for little gain...... Wink

thanks for the advice russell! the roof gutter is indeed a very good place to run the wires.

what a story of that melting fuel line! what are those shorts that you talk about?

Member of DVK - Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: