The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 16:50:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Engine
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Engine  (Read 8298 times)
bilboa2

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2008, 22:44:51 pm »

great h.p.,Wondering why max hp at 6k for for 110 lobe center.. Shouldn't that move peak hp higher? My fk 46 w/108 lobe center motor just air jet change went 170 at 6500.W/belt and muff at 4200 ft...Going to try bigger exh this weekend and 42 vents. Thinking that would move it up in rpm range..(not wanting that)Huh 9.6 comp.??I want it all over at 6500..Going to find out?? 
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 22:59:43 pm »

A lot of interesting posts here about what to run for cranks and not run.  For those with less time on VW engines and parts,  we ran OKRASA cranks in the early 70's (plain bearing)that were non-type 4 center mains and smaller counter-weights than newer BERG Cranks and SCAT cranks. They survived great...but then again all GERMAN Metalurgy was superior to anything else at the time, including Welded VW cranks done correctly.

I personaly saw Mitch Evensen's tattle-tale tac hit 10,300 rpms on a BUGPACK crank in the 90's that held up even after he lightened the crank by taking off 2-3 pounds of weight.  The CB cranks are fine for any street engine with Bracket Racing use.  I know plenty of people running them and beating them hard.  We've personally run chevy journal cranks since PAUTER started making their REV-TRUE cranks in the early 70's on a VW welded, offset ground crank. 

There is a lot of opinion on these forums that can sometimes be somewhat unfounded.  I have also seen the most expensive cranks made have issues.  Most of the time ie was oiling issues or other related failures. I personally would not be afraid to run any of the new CHINESE forgings providing I checked all the critical clearances, machine work and final finish issues that all matter.  Proper assembly goes a long way too...to ensure the motor will last.

Compression, desired horsepower and operating RPMs, everything matters.  The comments offered by OHIO TOM are dead on too. Nitriding is a surface issue that helps with journal longevity...providing all other things are done correctly too.  Nothing is 100% bullet-proof no matter who made the parts.  So Louis...built it and RUN IT!  You will be fine if you do your due diligence on the assembly, oiling, clearances, etc.

Have a Happy New Year and burn rubber in the process!

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Jim Ratto

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008, 23:28:39 pm »

I put an FK-45 in my buddie's 2110 a few years ago. 82 X 90.5.
K-roc prepped Oval port CB heads, K-roc recomended using really high compression (so I thought) . 10.5/1 (maybe it was 10.2/1. Anyways, it made 168hp to the rear wheels on a chassis dyno. Ran 12.80's in a mostly full weight 70 beetle.
There was no hole in the powerband anywhere. Stab it a 2K and she would just steady increase Tq. all the way up to 7,000rpm.
I think the compression ratio really made the cam work well for this motor.
It never ran hot at all. He took it on many long hour highway trips in the middle of summer (90+F) I would never have belived it unless I built it myself and watched it run.
As a matter of fact; it ran significantly cooler than the same motor with an Webcam 86-C.

High compression combos don't have to run hotter, but they do like the high octane....

The FK-4X series cams are faster ramp cams (espeically with the FK-45). AKA: "rampy" cam. To make it all work, you must have the valve spings "up to the task". 

I think you will be real happy with either the FK-45 or FK-46 with your combo. They are great cams, build and tune it right, and you'll impress more than a few people with it....

Hi Tom,
I still plan on dialing the lift per degree per dgree rate of the FK45 and compare it to K8, 86B, 86C, etc.. to see how rampy it was. I ran it in my 2165 for about 9K miles and upon teardown, checked radial clearance on the lifters/bores... was like new case still.
Not sure what was up with FK45 in my car. Originally it was destined to go in a 94 x 74 motor, not the 78mm. It was a strange cam. Off idle, loads of response, but stomp it in the mid range and NOTHING would happen for a moment, then ka-boom, it would run up to 6K. Carb tuning wasn't the issue, it was a powerband thing. Most of the time I ran 37mm vents with that motor, but also toyed with 40mm and 42mm.
As a side note, I advanced the lobe peak (intake) to 104ATDC (from the usual 108), anothr way of saying "I advanced the cam", but I degreed it in to do this. Most guys "in the know" I've talked to say street motors like 4 deg advance, and some studying I've done said the same. But I wonder if that had something to do with the pause in power with FK45. Never had a VW motor do that before... I've had them be soft all over down low, then come up on cam (FK87, Clay Smith 320) or just yank your head off your neck (K8, VZ15, 86C) the second you stomp it.
The Pauter cam I have now could actually probably stand another 10 deg at .020", but like I said in street gears post, it probably suits the way i drive my car pretty well. I wanted that 911 powerband, and I think I got it.

Take care and happy new year
Jim
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 01:03:13 am »

great h.p.,Wondering why max hp at 6k for for 110 lobe center.. Shouldn't that move peak hp higher? My fk 46 w/108 lobe center motor just air jet change went 170 at 6500.W/belt and muff at 4200 ft...Going to try bigger exh this weekend and 42 vents. Thinking that would move it up in rpm range..(not wanting that)Huh 9.6 comp.??I want it all over at 6500..Going to find out?? 
6000 was Not Peak Horse power thats as far as I wanted them to Take it, I was Very Happy with the 237 H.P. @ 6000  I would Rather break it in the Car Then on the Dyno LOL Grin Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
cpalma

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2009, 04:12:04 am »

sorry for the threadjack but what Jim just described re. the lifter bores like new caught my attention....

Hi Jim, this case was a mag one without sleeves on the bores which ran 9k miles on an fk-45 right? Reason i ask is 'cause i always hear it said that for this cam type sleeving is mandatory else you oval those bores. i recently built an engine with a new mag case and had the fk45 but decided against it and installed an fk10 instead. Nothing bad about it, did a 13.2 on radials with the set-up, but wud also like to see for myself what the fk45 has to offer.

Happy new year to all....
Jim Ratto

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2009, 17:51:55 pm »

yep, it was FK45 with Bugpack "lightweight" Tayco lifters, new stock VW case, unsleeved. Dual VW-diameter (bugpack 4046) springs set up .100" before bind and Valvoline Premium Blue (old SL type) with Red STP added.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: