The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 18:18:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  what's your opinion on spacers? please help.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: what's your opinion on spacers? please help.  (Read 5494 times)
wolfswest

« on: January 28, 2009, 12:29:53 pm »

Okay guys,

I’ve got a narrowed beam but I’m tired of the look and I want to put my wheels back were they used to be.  It is not that narrow so I would use spacers.  I’m thinking of using spacers of app. 0.75 inch.  I’ve read many topics, not only vw only topics but also topics on random carsites.  I always read the same bullshit:  some guys tell you they don’t have a problem with it, others tell you it’s not safe and that you are a complete idiot if you are installing spacers.

What is your opinion?  I’m not pro or con I just want to know the facts and your opinion based on real stories and not some drunk talk after midnight in the bar.

If you are against it, have you ever seen crash a car with spacers or do you know another horror story?  I hope you get my point, just don’t yell NO or YES, please tell me also why.

My own experience:
I’ve ran spacers on my rabbit for 2 years and I never had a problem with it, off course I installed them with longer wheelbolts.   But, they were installed in the back and a rabbit is a FWD car and it had no power, it was a 75hp rabbit.

Dem

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 13:14:18 pm »

I've heard stories of not tightening the nuts of the spacers, hence losing the complete wheel + spacer. But onestly that fits right inder the not tightening wheel bolts, so that is not really a spacers issue.

I also heard of issues with the off-set of wheels, but don't completely get that. I guess it has to do with the added leverage you put on all the joints by increasing (decreasing?) the off-set by adding the spacer.

==                                        ==
   I<----       is different from      I++<----
   I<----                                    I++<----
==                                        ==

where the == is the tire, I is the wheel, ---- is the axle,  < is the joint and ++ would be the spacer.

Damn, I'm a good designer  Grin
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 13:19:50 pm by Dr. Jeckill » Logged

Wünderwaffe are Go!
wolfswest

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 13:19:10 pm »

LOL  Grin

Yeah, I understand that the bearings will suffer more, but hey, it's not a daily car, iI guess I put 1500 miles on it every year so...

alex d

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 13:43:17 pm »

isn't putting back a stock width beam an option?
wolfswest

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 14:00:19 pm »

isn't putting back a stock width beam an option?

maybe, but then I have to search another beam again, install it, etc...  extra costs and I have a set of spacers here so I would like to give the spacer-idea  a try..

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 14:02:10 pm »

if you run skinny fuchs you might as well go with a stock width beam and dropped spindles. this combination looks pretty nice.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 14:51:47 pm »

Wolfswest, unless you're planning on Autocrossing your car, I wouldn't worry too much about using spacers up front on a Type 1. There's obviously not too much weight, on the front wheels, to be concerned with premature wheel bearing wear. I can see why you'd want to opt for spacers over replacing your front beam with a stock width one... cost and convenience. That and the fact that you don't put a lot of miles on the car.

What's the worse case scenario? A set of wheel bearings and your time (or paying a shop) to replace the worn ones verses the costs of putting in a stock width beam. I think you'll be okay.

Just my 2¢. Good luck with whatever you end up choosing. Personally, I think it's going to handle and look much better going back to a wider track width up front.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Ohio Tom (DdK)

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 15:00:04 pm »

If you havne't already, you can switch to disk brakes up front. Nice upgrade and will add 1" to track width.
Use some spacers to get the rest. No problem.

Ohio Tom
08'.. 3 R/U...3 Win...
wolfswest

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 15:25:09 pm »

tom, marc,

I allready have discs...  Yep, the beam is practicly new, so I wouldn't want to change it for an old original beam.  and what's up with the need for spacers with centerrings in it?  Correct me if I'm wrong but if you install fuchs on a beetle there also isn't a centerring in the wheel that centers the wheel to the disc or drum...  Huh  So I guess there is no need to use spacers like this?  The spacers I like to use are completely flat on both sides...

Dem

flatcat60

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 07:08:16 am »

i had some on the rear to clear springplates for fat street tires.broke the tires loose many times nothing ever went wrong.if they are going up front i would not worry about it.
Bruce

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 07:30:58 am »

If anyone is afraid to use a wheel spacer, then they must be afraid of using wheels with very small offsets.  After all, if you welded the spacer to the wheel, you are just changing the offset.
I've seen VWs with wheels having offsets of 20mm, and others with 50mm offset.  Never heard of any problems.

On the other hand, there is a benefit to putting a stock beam back in.  If you do, the left tie rod gets a bit longer.  This has a big effect at reducing bump steer.  Another benefit is reduced toe changes when you add weight up front.
wolfswest

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 09:26:46 am »

ok, good info here + explinations.  I think it will handle better with the spacers (wider track) , what do you guys think?  It definitly wIll change but will it change a lot?

LGK

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 23:43:28 pm »

ok, good info here + explinations.  I think it will handle better with the spacers (wider track) , what do you guys think?  It definitly wIll change but will it change a lot?

Dem,

What Bruce said about the off-set is correct.Just put the spacers on and feel the difference.
Car will handle better.

Still waiting on your parts,i'll let you know.

Steve

low oval
DKK

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 00:11:29 am »

I ran spacers on my alloys for many years with no problems what so ever.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 08:39:12 am »

I've also used spacers to get the exact offset I wanted on some of my cal look cars.  Especially with a narrowed beam and discs.  They are fine and don't cause any issues if you get the right torque on your lug nuts and check them periodically before trips and just as a maintenance issue as you should.  I've never had wheels or lug nuts come loose on alloys if proper lug nuts and torque was used.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
wolfswest

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 09:46:20 am »

@ Rick: okay, thx for the info.  I will search longer nuts and install them.

@ Steve: okay!  mail me when the parts arrive, thx man.

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 09:57:38 am »

I did use spacers on my old 65 and had no problems at all. Race, burnouts, street... you mention it;  http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,64.0.html

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
wolfswest

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 10:35:15 am »

I did use spacers on my old 65 and had no problems at all. Race, burnouts, street... you mention it;  http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,64.0.html

thx for the link.  I made my mind up, I'm going to install them.  Cheesy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: