The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 19:50:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350866 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Autometer gauge size
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Autometer gauge size  (Read 4739 times)
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« on: February 10, 2009, 20:50:07 pm »

Even though my car is far from ready, I still have some welding to do and then the tedious job of sanding and filling and sanding will start, I'd like to start thinking about my dash. Even though it is not strictly cal look, I'd be looking into buying autometers, they are easily obtainable and available in all the flavours I want and more.

The model of choice would be the sport comp, I'll polish the bezels and most of all, pay through the nose.

What I'm looking for now is the outer diameter of the gauges front (edge of the bezel to other edge to the bezel) so I can mock up the dash, anybody out there willing to get out the measuring tape  Grin I need the size of the monstertach, the shiftlite with pill (same size as the shiftlite of the monstertach), the 3 3/8" speedo, the 2 5/8" oil temp and oil pressure gauges and the 2 1/16" CHT and fuel gauge. I can guess the warning lights  Roll Eyes

Below is what I came up with considering the guessing I had to do concerning size. From left to right: oil temp and pressure, with in between oil light and gen light. Then shift light with pill and under that blinker lights and high beam. To finish the gauge lid a speedo. Instead of a radio fuel and CHT next to a monstertach with recall. All dressed off with a Porsche steering wheel.

Don't mind the basket, it is not mine  Tongue
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 19:08:28 pm by Dr. Jeckill » Logged

Wünderwaffe are Go!
NoNameYet

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 22:18:12 pm »

First off I would check the manufacturer's site or catalog for specifications regarding this issue. If no info is supplied, I'd suggest you buy them before you start drilling and cutting. That way you could measure and test fit cutters/holes. I'm sure you would not want to cut up or weld again especially if you had to buy them after the paint job is done. I would personally also not rely on some info supplied via email or on the phone from some customer care representative. How could you tell how accurately they or who supplied them with the info to pass on to you has measured across the diameter? Keep in mind that if they are just a little off from the diameter when measuring you would end up with a smaller hole. If they roughly calculate what the bezel covers, you could also end up with a hole that the gauges will go right through. Having them in your hand you could easily take a caliper and measure all of them very accurately in a matter of a couple of minutes and be sure about the size when you start cutting. A little stuck for cash like me at the moment? Just start working on something else until you save the dough to buy them. Just my opinion.
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 07:52:20 am »

True,you couldn't be more right. And I'll buy them before I cut. But it might be that I buy them in batches, start with speedo and tach (and warning lights of course). And for that I would like to lay out the dash to make sure I buy the right ones and they all fit in the end. For example, the 5" monster tach will not fit in the gauge panel (where the old speedo would sit), it will just touch the sides or be over it. So either I fit it in the middle or I should go for one of the smaller sized ones.

There was an article here: http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,7765.0.html, near the bottom of page one, scanned by Fabs, where they suggested you cut out the gauges outer diameter in cardboard to mock up, well that's exactly what I want to do. So if the size is slightly of (say 0.1mm  Wink) it is not a problem.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 07:56:25 am by Dr. Jeckill » Logged

Wünderwaffe are Go!
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 18:20:16 pm »

As there is no-one playing game, I'll have to start this fight by myself  Angry Grin

I dug up a Mosnter tach that was hiding out in my garage somewhere underneath a set of Simca seats. I measured and lo and behold: edge to edge the diameter is 12,4 cm

And now back to the studio !

Wünderwaffe are Go!
NoNameYet

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 10:39:18 am »

Well, actually I must also add that I'm strongly against cutting up the dash. I was dying to convert one of my cars to LHD, to be more in tune with the Cal style, but opted out of it not to ruin a good dash. But it's your car in the end, so you do what you like...but again, I would not.
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 14:07:05 pm »

Wow! Mr. Jeckyll, I´m no fan of autometer gauges BUT that dash layout looks great! DO IT!

Tobi
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 18:32:12 pm »

Thanks Mr. Tobi! Coming from the guy that has built one of the nicest cars I know (and with one of the nicest dashes), I can only take that as a compliment.

Below is a screenshot of the install manual of a speedometer. As you can see there is a size given for the bezel, both for the small one as for the  5 inch Monster size. But I personally measured a 5" Monster Tach and it is less than 5", barely, but still. That's why I'm begging you guys to actually measure. Wouldn't want to have destroyed my perfectly straight dash for nothing.

And NoNameYet, I'm really sorry, but you're advice is 1 month late  Tongue Wink The dash is already cut. Lips Sealed
See http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,6858.0.html
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 18:33:47 pm by Dr. Jeckill » Logged

Wünderwaffe are Go!
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 18:50:32 pm »

I measured the oil temp and oil pressure gauges today in Jelle's HotVW. 2 5/8" has a bezel diameter of 73 mm, another step closer to mocking up the dash  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 20:44:38 pm by Dr. Jeckill » Logged

Wünderwaffe are Go!
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 06:48:08 am »

Check out the new addition of the PHANTOM Autometer gauges I put in my 57 Oval Ragtop.  I needed something I could see better at night...I painted the bezels silver to have a contrast against the gloss black dash.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
vwcab

peter

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 14:24:27 pm »

Lookin' good!!!

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
67worshipper

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 15:16:20 pm »

plenty of switches in there rick Smiley its a  Cool dash for sure.

vw hot rod heaven
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 22:01:26 pm »

Very nice Rick M, did you measure the bezels?  Angry Angry Angry
 Grin

Wünderwaffe are Go!
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 23:30:06 pm »

I did not measure the bezels like the first post.  I simply laid them out according to the old gauge holes...plus I have three LED lights, red, amber and green, going in the dash for the ignition on, fuel pump on and cooling fan on positions.  I am ordering those this week from watson's streetworks wiring supplies.

Should have the dash finished an wired up within a week.  Then on to the motor and drive train work...updating the interior carpets and then a test drive.

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: