The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 15:33:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Hi Brandon Sinclair
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hi Brandon Sinclair  (Read 3183 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: February 27, 2009, 20:47:58 pm »

Hey Welcome to the Lounge. It's alot like the old CLF, when Herbert was around... in the old days, pre Y2K

gone by the "new" Buggy House lately? It's more like when I was there now... from what I hear

meaning fun.

Have a good time here. Less knuckleheads and more fun.

later,
Jim
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 00:17:14 am »

This is what I needed to get my blood going so I can jump into my 1776 build/mock up this weekend!!  Just like the CLF I stumbled upon this site while screwing around at work reading posts on VW's-this time main bearings.

Then I saw your name and posts about strange engine combos and little engines making 139 hp at the wheels on the dyno in Pinole.  NICE!!!!  That is just what I was looking for since I love the technical posts.

I still have not figured out wheter or not this a forum based out of Europe or is it related to the other forum or what and how long have I been missing out?  I guess I have some fun reading to do!!!!  Stumbled upon Volkszone last week and now this one-nice.

This is what I heard about the BH.  There are two new guys that bought the place and they have been butting heads recently.  I heard that they have a good inventory of NOS old 36 hp and 40 hp engine parts and hard to find early parts in back.  I have not been in but I asked my friend about performance parts and he said they were working on it.  I asked about the elusive Brad Penn oil in the Bay Area (you know the old green Kendall you used to sell back in your old BH days) and said that I know a lot of guys in the area would probably stop by the shop to get that so it would be a good idea for foot traffic.  I heard last night they did get a contract with Brad Penn so I guess they will be carrying it soon-they need to get the word out.  Hopefully the guys who own the place can work things out-maybe it is just new business stress.  I hope they can get that shop going like it should be-maybe I am asking for the unachievable a great aircooled VW store in the Bay Area that can keep its doors open.

Anyways I still owe you beers from long, long ago!!!  Are you still down south-I recognize some posts by your buddies.

Talk to you later.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 00:55:14 am »

The new owner is a good friend of mine since 1990. His dad was the late great Mike Collins, RIP,  the brains and talent behind a lot of cool shit that a lot of people knew nothing about. He did all of our high end transaxles, he did our beams, he did custom fab stuff, I bought my 48's from him in 1991 (story about that here somewhere), he did b.j. spindles that used Super Bug backing plates and drums and shoes, he fabbed up custom chromoly Super beetle tubular track arms, helped with 944 brake conversions, put 911 motors in buses, and basically could do anything other guys said couldn't be done. But beyond that Mike was a great guy and had a heart of gold and took care of all us snot nosed punk kids @ BH... Lil' Frank, me, Javier, and all our friends, Bates, SODA, Derek, Big Frank, Flying Finn, and then all the sandrail rats, all the midget guys, all the Baja guys, even the Tryke guys. Mike was cool with all of us.
Anyway, his son James is in charge. His partner is Kevin, another good guy. I used to live next door to him when I was renting a house in Livermore, back in j.c. days he had a killer dark blue bus done up @ LaVere's in concord. We used to hang out, mostly go to Dead shows and the related stuff that goes with that. Nice guy. I wish the new regime all the luck, I think they have their hearts in it and I'm glad to see the place is still going. And yeah they still have Uncle Jerry back there as a spiritual leader.
Cool that you came here. I've been here since 2006, lots of cool stuff to read or just make you laugh.
I'm in Ventura County, yes, South Calif.
Enjoy,
Jim
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 02:08:27 am »

Welcome to The Lounge, Brandon. Any friend of Ratto's is going to cause prob... I mean, if you're a friend of Jim's, COOL.

Grin

Oh... hiya, Jim.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Tony Wilkie

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 05:23:31 am »

Hey Brandon! Welcome to the lounge!
I'll be back in the bay area next week if you need any help.

tw

Operations Trask Manufacturing
Design, Prototype, & Dyno Tune Custom Motorcycle Exhaust
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 08:24:00 am »

Jim, yeah I remember you mentioning Mike Collins years ago when I inquired about tranny guys in the area.  I even remember reading when he passed a while back and that reminded me that you had told me about him and how good he was with the VW trannies.  Good to know VWs are still in the family blood and I hope they can get that place going again.

Thanks for the welcome Fred and hello Tony-I always wondered what new venture you were up to in AZ.  Looks like I have years of reading to catch up on-haha.  That is a good thing. 

I thought to myself only a few months ago with the lack of posts on the regular VW sites I visit what happened to everyone.  Well luckily I can here and I see familiar names like Ohio Tom, Sarge, Frenchy, Alan U, Bruce, TW, and Ratto, just to name a few.  It is good to know it is still strong and running.  I am just bummed it took me so many years to find this place!!!!
Sarge

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 13:58:39 pm »

What Fred said Wink  Welcome Brandon!  Since Ratto owes me so many beers, you can just pass the ones you were going to give him directly to me..... Roll Eyes Grin  Enjoy this place; it's the best. Cool

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 22:53:54 pm »

Hey Brandon! Welcome to the lounge!
I'll be back in the bay area next week if you need any help.

tw

Hey Tony, long time no bs....  how are you? Are you moving back to Bay Area or visiting?
Tony Wilkie

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 04:25:42 am »

Hey Tony, long time no bs....  how are you? Are you moving back to Bay Area or visiting?
[/quote]

Hey Jim,
Going to work for Lucasey manufacture...there relocating us back to the bay area (danville)
Been super busy trying to get some projects done in Az. & not enough hours in the day to pack all my stuff  Roll Eyes
PM your number. I lost your cell#

tw

sheep

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 17:52:28 pm »

Hey Tony
Lucasy mfg in Oakland?Huh??
Im real good freinds with the big wig there ,Ed Oneil.
He comes into my shop every Friday. wow what a small world.

Sheepster

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
Tony Wilkie

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 01:57:21 am »

Hey Tony

Sheepster

Wow, small world!!!
I'm going to be working with Ed. The guy is a engineering genius! (known him for 20+ years)

tw

sheep

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 02:51:55 am »

Hey Tony

Sheepster

Wow, small world!!!
I'm going to be working with Ed. The guy is a engineering genius! (known him for 20+ years)

tw

[/quote

Too Cool Grin

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: