The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 08:06:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Skittish front end
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Skittish front end  (Read 3658 times)
nigelg65

« on: February 08, 2009, 21:25:54 pm »

I have an Oval with a narrowed beam running 4.5in Fuchs and 135s. The problem is it feels really skittish, understeers a lot and is generally not very confidence inspiring. I'm changing to 5.5in wheels with 155s but wondered what else I might do to improve the driving experience. My car has no front anti-roll bar
67worshipper

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 22:07:35 pm »

lovely car you got there.how many caster shims are fitted? has it got dropped spindles? the front looks a little too low.have the shockers got any travel left? sorry for all the questions but trying to build a picture Roll Eyes

vw hot rod heaven
nigelg65

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 22:51:00 pm »

I've raised front end somewhat from what you see in pics, shocks have travel, no drop spindles, not sure about the shims.
Sarge

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 22:58:43 pm »

I have an Oval with a narrowed beam running 4.5in Fuchs and 135s. The problem is it feels really skittish, understeers a lot and is generally not very confidence inspiring. I'm changing to 5.5in wheels with 155s but wondered what else I might do to improve the driving experience. My car has no front anti-roll bar

Nice car!! Cool Cool  Don't feel alone... I don't care for the way mine handles, either.  My car does go straight, handles bumps OK, but feels "skittish" as you pointed out.  This was never the case with the stock beam, so I think that it has to do with the shorter (think tighter) torsion bars.  Adding a sway bar (even MORE stiffness) would seem to make it worse.  Skinny tires add to the "thrill."  My $.02.

DKP III
Mike Maize

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 23:11:29 pm »

Running it that low without dropped spindles has to have the tie rods at an awkward angle. There is no doubt that will add to the squirrely  feeling.  Other thing to consider is how would it NOT understeer with all of the rubber and  weight in the back and neither in the front.
nigelg65

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 23:23:13 pm »

True, true. I accept it is going to understeer, I just want to improve matters as much as I can.
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 23:34:59 pm »

most importantly here I think you need to check behind the bottom tube of the front end between the beam and pan head and see if there are any castor shims in place you should have at least one on each side.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 20:55:13 pm »

you may have to fit an anti bumpsteer kit which will allow you to fit the outer track rod ends upside down to bring the track rods level again. check for shims first Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Jim M

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 02:06:21 am »

I recently installed a CB narrowed beam and all new componets with it. I also had OLDSPEED make one of these for a 2 inch narrowed beam. So far it feels great. Mt friend Tony is running one, and reports back that the skirttish front end is no more.http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=711188

Porters Precision
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 02:22:58 am »

Did you get anywhere with this yet?

Castor shims are a must. Drop spindles will improve the ride and the ability for the tires to hold uneven pavement (if you raise the adjusters back up to compensate), taking the tension out of the torsion leaves. Flipping the tie rod ends will help bump steer. A sway bar will further stiffen the front end, most likely aggravating the problem (it did in my case).

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Sarge

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 04:48:36 am »

I also had OLDSPEED make one of these for a 2 inch narrowed beam. So far it feels great. Mt friend Tony is running one, and reports back that the skirttish front end is no more.

I can hear tires scraping on my rig when I turn sharp going slow yet the car pushes easy going straight... plus there's no such thing as a tight turn into a parking spot.  The other day, I noticed that the tire tread was worn (evenly) almost twice as much on the right as the left.  I think your on to something.  Thanks for the tip! Cool
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 04:55:02 am by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 07:01:35 am »

I hate to point out the obvious here... but can I ask why you chose to narrow your front beam, Type-Magazine? Was it due to front discs? Also, if you're not running drop spindles, that could put a major tweak upon the front geometry (tie rods, etc.) with being so low.

I guess I'm a dinosaur... because I prefer my front beam at stock width so I can take turns as fast as I can with no worries about rubbing or weird steering. Seems like everyone that I've talked to with narrowed front beams has some handling or ride issue. The only way I can ever see narrowing a front beam would be to compensate for the difference of disc brakes, and return the front track width back to stock.

I hope that you're able to work that problem out. That would be a shame to not fully enjoy your car and drive it to it's fullest extent. Are you still running a sway bar?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 13:19:30 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 07:08:07 am »

Maybe your beam is jam? Do you grease it regularly?

jimi323

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 09:53:50 am »

my friend with a 2 inchs narrowed beam had monted a normal width front anti-roll bar...
i think is better to use it..
TiDi

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 09:59:38 am »

Hi

I have an adjustable front beam standard lenght, standard spindles and no front anti-roll bar.
I resolved my problem swapping to 145 from 135 ( 4" Sprintstars )
Previously the car around 100 Km/h was very skittish, especially in a quick progression.
Now after a proprer front suspension adjustment and 2 145 the car is lot more stable...

Also I had a bad balanced wheel on the front...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 10:03:10 am by TiDi » Logged

4 Wheel Ripperz - http://cal-look.tumblr.com/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: