The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 05:11:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350860 Posts in 28605 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  My '72 racecar
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: My '72 racecar  (Read 42277 times)
Happychappy

« on: May 03, 2009, 20:30:51 pm »

First a bit of history. I bought my first bug in october 1998 and this is how she looked ..............

I drove her around as she was for a bit and welded her up each year to get through the m.o.t. Finally in 2002 I fell through the floor, literally!! It was this point I decided to go at it full on and the restoration started. At first I began collecting parts and decided that a street/racecar was the way forward. 
I chopped the front end off and took the body off the pan before sending it for blasting. (I have lots of pics of this at home) On her return it needed the usual bottom 4 inches replacing and I continued to strip the roof paint as this couldn't be blasted off. I then mounted the body back onto the brand new pan (bought as the old one wasn't exactly straight due to 2 crashes that I knew about).
I then mounted the front end and she looked like this.

After a house move and a few other air cooled vw's along the way, I decided that although I was happy to have a go at finishing her off I just didn't have the level of skill I was happy with to build her to the standard I was looking for. (I will have a go on other cars in the future though!)

So, after lots more parts buying I gave Jim at Cotsweld a call. I had met him at Avon park a few years before and his race car and the quality of the build were awesome so decided I wanted him to build my racecar.

At Cotsweld Jim started turning her into my racecar. Welding in new heater channels, bottom of the 'A' posts, both rear quarters, front bulk head and rear bumper hangers. Removing the dash and welding in sheet metal. Removing the inner vents in the engine bay under the rear window and repairing a few other small rust areas.
He also began building my 6 point roll cage and aluminium interior panels. 

Jim also fabricated a new bracket for the flip front. (Cheers PAS for the new front!) He has also made some really trick parts such as the seat mounts and decklid catch that are very cool.

My plans for this car are to one day run sub 13 second quarters and Ian from Wolfsburg performance services is currently putting an engine together for me.  At the moment I am on the hunt for a set of good second hand 48 IDA's, anyone got any......... Grin

Most of the fabrication, repairs and bodywork are complete and I have to say Jims work is amazing.  To say he is a perfectionist is a bit of an understatement!!!  Grin

Next comes the really exciting part of paint and build up.........................

vwcab

peter

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 21:36:14 pm »

Another racecarproject in the UK.Does everybody start racing overthere?  Grin   Grin
Anyway,good work so far and have fun with the build-up.What's the enginesize gonne be?
And what wheel is that on the right in the last pic?

Peter   Wink       (keep posting the pics)

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Happychappy

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 22:21:28 pm »

Thanks Peter, the engine is going to be a 1914cc for now and will be increased in the future (funds permitting).  The wheel on the right is a Pro-et Fueller.  I wanted something different inspired by the hot rod and custom car world.  They will look stunning when on the car.

Cheers

Paul.
Pas

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 22:30:54 pm »

Hey Paul

Good to see you again today.

Looking good fella,best of luck with the build up and keep on posting updates buddy Smiley
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 22:35:11 pm by Pas » Logged

You stay classy, Cal-look Lounge.
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 09:43:30 am »

Wow, awesome work that is gonna look really cool!

67worshipper

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 19:37:09 pm »

hello paul.this is coming along great.i like your choice of wheels Wink i.e. hot rod themed.keep the updates coming.cheers barry

vw hot rod heaven
Happychappy

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 20:41:14 pm »

Hi all, well after a few months research and talking to quite a few people I decided to go for a new set of IDA carbs (cost of possible re-building Italian second hand etc etc)

Got them at a ridiculous price with manifolds and linkage so were too good to pass up!

They really are a thing of beauty!  Grin

Have just had a few bits come back after being triple chromed and they look stunning! Trying to decide what front tyres to run with also?

Will update more soon.............

Cheers Paul
Happychappy

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 19:13:38 pm »

Ok a long delayed update!!

Floorpan is back from paint and it looks stunning!!!

Decided that I wanted something a bit different to black to go with the custom theme. Looks alot lighter in the pics but its a battleship grey I guess? The finish is like glass on the central tunnel which is awesome.

The body is nearly ready to go at the end of the week, just the roof and a few other bits.  Sorry about your hands Jim!

Then it is build up time!!! The ali interior is also in for some painting action and the overall look won't be too different to Pat McDermotts '67 Fiat Spider in the states (colour combo anyway)

Just need a new either Beetle wiring loom to modify or universal loom? Not long now though .............. Grin
Happychappy

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 19:00:02 pm »

The shell came back from paint last week ......

to say I am happy is an understatement.  The pics aren't the best quality as they are from a mobile phone but I think it still looks stunning and hasn't even been polished yet.  More soon.  Grin
leec

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 21:06:57 pm »

Car looks fantastic. You are right about Jims work, it's
top notch! I'm so pleased with my roll cage!

Lee
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 15:17:21 pm »

Very nice work!

jick

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 22:39:53 pm »

I very much like your style dude!

I'm looking forward to seeing some more updates, keep  em coming!

Happychappy

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 00:19:53 am »

Thanks for the nice comments guys.  Can't believe its all coming together!
Went to see the bodyshell today and was blown away.  The pictures do not do it justice at all.  Jim has been busy and the body is now back on the pan,  I had to post these pics as I can't stop looking at it.  Again Jims work is awesome...........

next step is a bit more paint, some powder coating, chrome and then put it back together!!  More soon  Wink
JSL

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 10:47:38 am »

Beautiful!!!   Shocked   Grin

allmenplayon10

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 16:03:00 pm »

Very cool

All men play on 10
Never gonna turn down again

1961 Type1 Cal
Rule09

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 18:45:44 pm »

Nice!

2.4 type4 162hp @ 5600rpm and 227nm @ 3000rpm
Undercunstruction 2.7type4 (udo becker) +-240hp
autohausdolby

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 09:58:58 am »

Cool  Smiley
Happychappy

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 19:21:43 pm »

A bit of an update....

Past couple of weeks things have really started moving. I tried my hand at helping put the car back together (read got under Jims feet and kept losing bits or finding 3 of the same part!!)  Cheesy.   Last week saw a majority of parts come back from the powder coaters and the finish and match to the floorpan are excellent.  Then it was build up time .......

Front frame work and fluid resevoirs with front beam.  It takes so much longer to put everything together when you don't want to scratch it!!!!  All fun though.....

The Neal pedal assembly and CSP shifter look fantastic!!  Don't ask about the aftermarket handbrake........ never ever again.  Need a good second hand original one to replace it!!!

We (Jim  Wink) also had to see what the monster tach would look like?

The next stage is more paint on the interior panels and doors and a few other bits.......

This is just a selection of the inside panels prepped and ready for paint.  They look so good and again Jims work is second to none! 

More to come soon.........
AntLockyer

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 20:20:02 pm »

Looks very nice indeed.

12.618 @ 104.87mph
JSL

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 20:52:55 pm »

Loving it!!!!

GREAT colour combo!!! Beautiful! Wink

J

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 11:01:14 am »

FANTASTIC!

herbieharv

13.5@99.5mph virgin

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 18:42:47 pm »

your doing some good work there dude Wink

I keep meeting cloned mates in other country's .....I'm getting worried there might be another one of me

15.00 secs in a jumbo ... Mile high club member
Happychappy

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 20:26:22 pm »

More progress today.  After I nearly ruined the new windows  Roll Eyes and then Jim fixed them, we fitted them up.........

Once the windows were in we had to see what the side trim would look like .......

Battery in and MSD mounting plate.

Once the aluminium panels come back the inside will look awesome.  More soon........
Dereck

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 22:19:02 pm »

Such a lovely Bug and fantastic work. Thanks for sharing, a real inspiration.

Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/vondirk
Follow the progress of my Project '66: http://wackyracers.posterous.com/
red baron

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 10:05:36 am »

Inspiration si the right word, really stunning color combo and really good and well detailed work. I really like the mounting for the front end. this will be a really sweet ride!

Happychappy

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 21:19:14 pm »

Thanks for all the great comments guys  Grin.

Today I went to see Jim as the aluminium panels were back from the painters and I was told they looked rather good........

I was blown away!!!!

The panels still looked wet, i'm so happy with them

We then spent the day fitting the passenger door.  Having never re-built a car to this level before I underestimated how long putting something you really really really don't want to scratch back together took.  However after struggling with the door felt and one piece rubbers (proper mission  Roll Eyes) It was on and had the beginnings of looking like a car again.

Once the door was on we obviously had to try a wheel  Cheesy

More soon..........
Dereck

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 22:46:51 pm »

With each post it's looking even better. Looking forward to seeing for real.

Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/vondirk
Follow the progress of my Project '66: http://wackyracers.posterous.com/
Neil Davies

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 17:24:23 pm »

With each post it's looking even better. Looking forward to seeing for real.

Absolutely - it looks beautiful.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Happychappy

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 21:34:52 pm »

Things are really rolling towards the deadline now. After 4 steering columns the front end is finally just about together with a few more bits needing painting.  Jim has also mounted the washer bottle and fuel pump on the front which looks really trick, will get a photo of that tomorrow, the tank has now been finished and looks great!!  At the end of January it goes to Ian at Wolfsburg Performance services for its motor!

The drivers door is now on just got to finish putting the window in tomorrow.  We also had a trial fit of the flip front before that gets prepped for paint.  The wheels sit so nicely, we could have looked at it all day!!  Cheesy

I know it not a VW but I had to take a picture of the full tube chassis Ford pop that Jim has nearly finished for another customer.  It is fully pro-street and it is a work of art!!  It is going to be an awesome race car when it is fully finished. I know I keep saying it but Jims work is simply mind blowing.

More soon....

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 23:19:26 pm »

Lovin the updates, keep them coming!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: