The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 01:08:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Man on the Moon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Man on the Moon  (Read 4732 times)
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« on: July 20, 2009, 22:05:32 pm »

I was wondering if maybe some people have stories to tell about this day of July 1969, how did you feel that day, maybe you've seen it on TV. Let the stories commin', I'm sure some have things to tell.
 Wink

Speed-Randy

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 22:43:46 pm »

i wasnt quite 4years old yet, im sure it was a pretty hot day, was probably playing with a firetruck or something. my mom probably took us to the grocery store in her 63 sunroof. thats about it for me

Gary Justus

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 23:07:16 pm »

I was working at Disneyland. There was a huge (or so it seemed at the time) screen set up over by the Monsanto ride. I wasn't on break at the time of the actual "walk", so I couldn't go over and watch. It was really strange, for a short period of time, D-land almost totally shut down. The silence was deafening. Lot's adults were watching, too.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 00:27:13 am »

I remember my Mother telling me to sit in front of the TV and watch Walter Cronkite's coverage of the launch and subsequent landing.
She said I would never forget it and she was right !
In my opinion, the greatest achievment of mankind so far !
R.I.P. Walter Cronkite, the only newsman I ever trusted. 
 Cry
P.S. I just heard from Jim "Sarge" Edmiston the other day that he and his wife Sharon were married the day before the launch in 1969 !
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 02:59:07 am by Richard Roth » Logged
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 00:30:55 am »

Yep! I remember that event very well. I was 7 and my sister was 4. I doubt that she remembers... but I recall watching it on the huge television that we had just bought. We finally broke down and purchased our antique early '60s unit. The screen for that broadcast was split into two. One for the actual flight and one for the "artist's rendition". I had no idea what rendition meant at the time. But by the end of that transmission, I sure did. We all talked about it, the next day, at my private school.

I'm glad and proud to say that I watched it with my family. A great memory that I shall not forget any time soon. At that point, many of us were visualizing that we would soon be piloting spacecraft like George Jetson in the cartoons. Of course, that never came. But I was just as stoked to build a Cal Look VW for my first car, ten years later, anyway. It flew... but in a rather different fashion, such as it were.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 09:34:02 am »

I was woken up at about 3 in the morning by my parents to watch it on TV. Only years later did I realise it was all faked by Hollywood for the cameras...  Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Sarge

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 13:05:28 pm »

Sharon and I were on our way to Running Springs and a log cabin in the woods, having just been married earlier in the day, when the news came over the radio.  I'll never forget it!  Another of those "events" like when JFK was assassinated.... about to fall asleep in Economics class; my junior year in high school.

DKP III
johnl

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 15:56:11 pm »

I remember it well.  Yes, it was the day after the Edmiston's married and I was at my parent's house.  They had a black and white Motorola TV in the living room and as Neil Armstorng placed his foot on the Moon I shot a photo of the TV with my camera.  I still have that somewhere.

The other thing that I remember is DKP member Mike (Lar Lar) Larson informed us that his Mom had given birth to a son on that day.  His name was to be Neil Armstrong Larson.  I saw Mike just a couple of weeks ago at Nick's and asked about his little brother, who is now 40.

Time flyes...................

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 61 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2024

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Lemonade
DKK

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 06:33:17 am »

It was a nice, warm evening, I was riding my bicycle up & down the street. I remember my dad calling me in to watch history in the making. I recall thinking to myself "What's the big deal?". I watched for a bit, then went back to the bike. What a dumbass kid I was! Embarrassed

Lems Grin
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 15:40:58 pm »

What you all on about  Huh It was staged in a hanger in AREA 51 wasn't it  Huh Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
tikimadness

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 16:44:27 pm »

What you all on about  Huh It was staged in a hanger in AREA 51 wasn't it  Huh Wink Smiley

I don't no the real truth but it is kind of strange that they lost 700 hours of videotape of the acctual landing on the moon and there is no original footage left at nasa.

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
Rennsurfer

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 00:59:07 am »

Yeah, but we were young little lads that believed everything that we watched on the telly.

Grin

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 05:39:58 am »

America also faked the Cal Look. It never really happened, and the thousands of people that claim to have been a part of it, are all part of the conspiracy to fool everyone outside of Orange County, California. I'm highly ashamed to have been connected with such a horrible thing. Please forgive me.

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 05:54:21 am »

John speaketh the truth. I, too, am guilty of said hoax.

Embarrassed

~Sarge
richie

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 11:05:32 am »

Never happened.Just politics

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 12:55:08 pm »

cheers richie,uk

Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Lemonade
DKK

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 04:20:51 am »

cheers richie,uk

Are you speaking of the Cal Look? Huh Huh

Lems Grin
GreenTom

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 10:11:17 am »

America also faked the Cal Look. It never really happened, and the thousands of people that claim to have been a part of it, are all part of the conspiracy to fool everyone outside of Orange County, California. I'm highly ashamed to have been connected with such a horrible thing. Please forgive me.

hehe its like Poland and the Knights, castles and dark ages and so on... almost all people that come to Poland (form USA) and visit Krakow or Malbork castle of Cross Knight they ask: "yeah sure, tell us the truth you've build that like we did with Disneyland Cheesy" hey ... I know many guys form USA and they have big history knowledge so where the heck those "different" people become???
Cheesy

By the way feel invited to Poland guys Cheesy

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: