The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 01:58:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350860 Posts in 28605 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Wife's -66.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wife's -66.  (Read 11565 times)
Hebster52

« on: April 02, 2010, 18:32:53 pm »

Bought this -66 back in May 2009. Had been stored in a dry warm garage since -79...

Unfortunately the previous owner thought the paint looked too "scratched" so he did a repaint (himself)... Painted way too thin so the finish looked more like basecoat as it became totally without shine... Undecided

We still decided to take it and I spent every evening for 2 weeks in sanding the paint down and then rubb it and polish it back. The finsh was ok for last years use..  Smiley

Before:

After:

Unfortunately the engine had seen better days. Maybe because of not been used for 30+ years it smoked severely blue smoke all summer...

The PO had also replaced the front brakehoses but not done anything in the rear so it was no surprise that the rear brakehoses started leaking in August...

The car got sitting from that on until I got the other project out of the garage.
Pulled it out of the pile of snow in January... Smiley

Hebster52

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 18:52:25 pm »

Started making wider rear wheels for it.

Pulled the engine and measured the axialplay... 1,6mm. Decided not to do much on that engine for now and chose to use my replacement engine instead. It is based on a dualport Type-3.

Had no idea on what setup to put on it though... Engine is a stock 1600 with 88mm slipins.

After talking back and forth with a collegue of mine who had similar ideas and good info I ended up with a pair of 411 Solex PDSIT's... And I allready had a pair of Type-3 dualport manifolds.

Engine starting to take shape.

Hebster52

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 19:02:41 pm »

Also checked the body for the first time while I replaced the rear brakelines... Had not felt the need to do a more deep check until now... Smiley

Fenders were "glued" with vaseline...  Cheesy
Hebster52

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 19:06:33 pm »

Drivers door hinge needed a new hingepin so I made a suitable tool for replacing it.

Left front fender also had a fenderbend from the turnsignal down to the fender arch. Needed to hammer that out.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1e1Al_GcoE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/U1e1Al_GcoE</a>

We also had decided to repaint it so the fender needed to be straightened out.

Tested out the new colour. We wanted to paint it in Seesand.. Smiley

Bugsy

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 20:51:40 pm »

Well thats about time you showed up here Hebster.   Cheesy

Looking forward to see some paint soon. Will be a nice car when finished, and the wyfe will be the happy owner off a good looking car.   Grin
LuftsickTero

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 08:21:22 am »

Well, this was the only Hebster-free VW-forum  Cheesy

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
fredy66

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 15:10:21 pm »

looks good man.
cool engine

arabia slugs
Hebster52

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 21:01:33 pm »

Well, this was the only Hebster-free VW-forum  Cheesy

Well, not really...  Been lurking around here for quite awhile allready. Not just had something to post here yet.

Dont know if this project fits that good over here either with all these Hi-Perf lookers... Embarrassed
Hebster52

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 21:54:02 pm »

Recieved these on friday.

Hebster52

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 19:18:57 pm »

Getting there.
This morning:

In the afternoon:

Should look Seesandish anyways...  Grin
Hebster52

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 22:26:51 pm »

Now basically waiting for the engine to go into the back, mounting the final rear quarter windows and dropping the front.

And off course mounting the homemade aluminium T-bars.... Wink

Hebster52

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 21:41:52 pm »

Went to Bugrun in Sweden last weekend in it.

Had the whole family with me. Grin

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 01:50:00 am »

That has a nice pre-cal look to it. Very clean.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 16:06:35 pm »

Great looking car. Did the color end up being close to Sea Sand? Sure looks like in the pictures. Also... very cool looking engine.

Will you be able to fit the factory air cleaners in the engine bay along with the factory tar board on the sides?

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Hebster52

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 20:49:13 pm »

Thanks for the kind words!  Smiley The colour did turn out very close to Seesand if not even perfect. (from my and the wife's eyes anyways).. In any case I like it and even got some very positive feedback from total strangers saying the colour looks stunning.  Wink

Yes, the aircleaners fit with all factory tarboard, thanks to the 20mm bakelite spacers between the type-3 manifolds and carbs and the 45mm spacers between the carbs and aircleaners.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 20:51:03 pm by Hebster52 » Logged
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 13:49:50 pm »

Really like the look of the factory air cleaners... thanks for the reply and picture with the tar board.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
autohausdolby

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 10:17:58 am »

That looks really nice Smiley I love how the engine looks with the air cleaners. Nice fuel line work as well!
Hebster52

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 21:39:58 pm »

Had to mount the bumpers on it until I got the annual inspections done. Needed to replace two balljoints in the front before that.

Today I mounted the T-bars back again. Cheesy Now lightly polished.

fredy66

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 12:28:30 pm »

nice work man

arabia slugs
Hebster52

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 10:28:15 am »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iPCBPbytbdI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/iPCBPbytbdI</a>

Grin Grin
Hebster52

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 18:38:42 pm »

The snow in front of the summerhouse garage is soon gone... Wink

Got this FO-case bored for 94mm in the garage. Trying to figure out some ideas on what direction to go with that and not sure what parts to throw into it.. Smiley
Also have a set of 1500 singleport heads that might be one interesting option to remachine for the 94mm...?

TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 20:28:37 pm »

Nice work & way to make it/get it DONE!
Really dig the dual carb conversion, what is the fuel economy like using it?

Also, would really like to hear & see more about the hingepin removal tool you made ... appears most ingenious!
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
fredy66

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2011, 22:25:29 pm »

get a 78 crank  Grin

arabia slugs
Hebster52

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2011, 11:14:28 am »

Thanks. The tools is basically a copy of the Matra (Original workshop) tool. Search for it in the Samba galleries. There are more photos of the original tool.

Have been thinkning about 76mm crank...  Smiley
Hebster52

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 20:17:57 pm »

Just an update for this summer. Here's how she's going to look this summer.

Still trying to figure out a clean location for the front licenceplate as it is just a moment of time before I get pulled over and get a ticket for not having one...  Grin
GreenTom

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 08:20:05 am »

Just an update for this summer. Here's how she's going to look this summer.

Still trying to figure out a clean location for the front licenceplate as it is just a moment of time before I get pulled over and get a ticket for not having one...  Grin

Very, very nice car and sweet engine (the one on solex carbs). Looking forward to see it with thse 94's.
I don't have front licene plate either. I was stoped few times but most of the time the talk started at the "front" and ended at the back with opened deck lid and typical conversation: Policeman: "bla bla bla ... a Porche engine? bla bla bla beetle engine?!?! bla bla bla how fast?!?! no shit?! bla bla bla lets race"
But it's Poland... most of the time I can do what I won't but when I'll meet a "pig" (we say dog) no a normal policeman I can have my registration documents taken from me.

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: