The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 15:03:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350838 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Then or Now?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Then or Now?  (Read 8167 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2009, 17:16:38 pm »

Pretty sure Ive stated where I stand...

Good thread, Jim Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
low oval
DKK

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2009, 17:44:49 pm »

1975 = 16 years old, I was just happy to have a select-a-drop and 145-xzx's!!!

Cars were plentiful & cheap, (especially in Riverside, working for a shop) but like Deano said $3 hour....
The cool thing was, I ONLY drove VWs.... all day, everyday.

Now - The knowledge base is crazy and being shared!! (internet) but you can't listen to one person, you have to form your own opinions/conclusions.
as far as inferior parts go, Its a challenge to make things work, so mic it, machine it, polish it..... make it work, just like the old days Smiley

in 75 I made 1.50/hr as  16 year old working at the schwinn shop, so I had to pull my torsion bars.  it was hard to buy parts on that pay.  It would take a 2 week paycheck just to buy a ss header.  although I was also able to purchase my oval for 500.00, a 57 for 500 and a bus for 800.  the later 2 were daily drivers. 
I will go with today, I like the electronic ignitions, 4 wheel disc brakes, I think the cars are done up nicer today then in the past, and I don't think they are all done up the same.  I like being able to drive my car without the hassle of being pulled over.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Jim Ratto

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2009, 18:02:15 pm »

I think Sadler is onto something. For me, even though my car runs better now than it ever has, and I seem to work on it less, the level of excitement is now is way below that of when I was 16-20 years old. Some of my most vivid memories are from when I first got behind the wheel of my '67, going to my first VW show @ Baylands. Motor was 1641 stock heads stock cam and 32/36 Weber. I didn't even know there was life beyond that. 2180's were in another galaxy. First stroker I put in my car was another big deal, and first time I put my foot in it was like a major milestone in my VW life.
I've grown up amongst VW parts and prices, and I'd have to say, in the realm of high hp stuff, like 150hp and up, things have become a lot less exotic and easier for any guy to get ahold of and can rely on. In the early 1990's, seeing a set of big welded heads come into the shop up in Hayward was A Big Deal. Same with 48IDAs. There's always going to be guys that refuse to adopt technology and I can respect that and even admire it. Likewise, there's always going to crap parts, no matter which year it is.

I want to be sixteen again with my car as it is now. And I would want to be buried in what would be left of the car after I was a dumbass and stacked it. 
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2009, 18:14:17 pm »

Lets see, in 1975 I was making crap, literally, since I was only 3 years old.  Wink

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2009, 23:01:51 pm »

THEN !
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 23:03:46 pm by Richard Roth » Logged
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 00:43:42 am »

Mr. Sadler, you nailed everything right on. Excellent post, my friend..

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2009, 01:04:37 am »

As for the events, their was nothing like the Original Bug-Ins. With the grandstands completely packed, acres of show cars, and the carnival like atmosphere this has yet to be duplicated.

Bring back the bikini contests!!

I think most of this is attributed to changing of the demographics. When you look at the age group of attendees at the Bug-In, you had the passion of a group that was predominantly in their teens to late twenties. When you go to an event now most are late twenties to their fifties.

Point well taken.

The thrill is still there however, the die hard enthusiasm to spend the night in a field so you can spend the entire next day in the elements for most is gone but not forgotten.

I did that - "Camped in a field" in my 59 Vert Ghia the night before (thats hilarious - forgot all about that) 

Well said Rick!!

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2009, 08:21:57 am »

When you go to an event now most are late twenties to their fifties. The thrill is still there however, the die hard enthusiasm to spend the night in a field so you can spend the entire next day in the elements for most is gone but not forgotten.

Or should we say it's forgotten in the USA? In Europe there are at least two sleep overs during each event.
What better way to get to know each other than to be bench racing around the campfire? It's a killing recepie and it's the cornerstone of the Scandinavian camaraderie
Shiny cars parked up in a parking lot one morning just can't compare...

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 22:15:43 pm »

California then, europe now...

Glitter don't make you faster.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2009, 22:56:12 pm »

California then, europe now...

I can't say I've been in either, but I might have to agree with you!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 23:00:31 pm »

Now, The weeds better!

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2009, 05:48:01 am »

Thennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: