The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 02:05:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350701 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Help with headlights from UK guys - converting US spec to UK spec lights
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help with headlights from UK guys - converting US spec to UK spec lights  (Read 3446 times)
stait9

« on: June 26, 2014, 19:05:14 pm »

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any advise as my '60 beetle has just failed its MOT because the US spec lights with sealed unit didn't give enough of a pattern.  The lights are in great shape and I have previously bought some NOS RHD lens so that's covered providing I can put something together.

A friend has suggested buying new reflectors (and spending a bit more to get good quality) and converting the lights to UK spec, including Halogen bulbs.

I've looked at the VW Heritage website and seen these:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Headlamp-reflector-Hella-T1-Beetle-T2-Splitscreen-111941151C_act_shop.product_pID_59621.htm?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1

And as far as I am aware it will fit.

All I need is a bulb holder and bulb.  This is where I get confused/lost.  The only bulb holder available doesn't accept H4 halogen bulbs apparently  Non-H4 bulbs are available but they seem to be 2 prong by the looks of things, where as the connection in the car is 3 prong - I'd rather not muck around with wiring as its really well done:

Bulb holder example- http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Bulb-holder-8-61-12-73-not-H4-131941159A_act_shop.product_pID_70237.htm?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1 ....... but it's 62-73, I can find one appropriate for a 1960

Bulb example- http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=3191&xSec=266

Does anyone know if you can customise a H4 bulb to fit the early holder or is there another way around this?

Any help would be gratefully accepted as I have 8 days left until the re-test deadline.

Cheers

Stuart
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 19:32:42 pm by stait9 » Logged
von-dart

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 19:30:44 pm »

Hi Stuart,

The bulb example you found should fit the holder, and as far as I know it's a 3 prong, so will connect to your wiring. I've used these in the past. Check with Machine 7 if in doubt.
The RHD lenses you have may solve your problem though, if it was a beam pattern issue.

Good luck!

Gary.
stait9

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 22:16:17 pm »

Thanks Gary, will speak to then tomorrow.
Sepi

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 21:15:36 pm »

If you have those US lights, to get H4 you have to buy semi sealed 7" round H4 beams with a side light bulb - like these:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Beam-unit-for-headlamp-semi-sealed-H4-type-RHD-each-142941039US_act_shop.product_pID_83446.htm

I did similar US + H4 lights with an indicator bulb as well - It seems to be more difficult to get Hella 7" RHD beams

stait9

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 22:05:33 pm »

Thank for the pos Sepi

Bought them on Friday and have just had those delivered today; although I thought the ones that were coming didn't have the side light as I'm running with indicators on tpp of the wings and now have 2 sets of side lights Smiley

Will build them tomorrow and see how the patterns comes out.  Hopefully these will give enough of a pattern for the MOT.

Cheers

Stuart
Martin S.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 23:36:09 pm »

Speaking of headlights, has anyone experience with GE Nighthawk LED 7" round headlights? Seems I'm over driving my headlights currently and wondering if these would help... http://www.amazon.com/GE-69821-Nighthawk-Round-Headlamp/dp/B00BQX2BT8#productDetails

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
RichardinNZ

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 22:05:26 pm »

Similar question from me...my '58 has similar 'UK' spec style lights.  I have added the additional running light bulb from US Spec lights as an indicator/blinker to supplement the semaphores.  The reflectors are in bad condition.  I was wondering whether I could use US Spec lights and add my fluted lenses to these?  However, are there any clear lens (no pattern) light units that I can use behind these?  Also are RHD and LHD lights different for early cars with fluted lenses?

Many thanks
Richard

Richard, Auckland, New Zealand

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
Martin S.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 03:47:07 am »

I have my answer about the LED units. It would be fun to drop those in for the test and watch the guy's eyes pop out! http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=527546

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
stait9

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 17:12:35 pm »

MOT passed with the semi sealed units and H4 halogen bulbs.  It was simply a case on replace the fully sealed units.  It does mean I could have 2 side lights if I wanted as the semi sealed unit comes with a bulb fitted in the reflector part.

The MOT man showed mean the pattern in the testing unit and there was a definite shape and kick up towards the left as required.  He was pleasantly surprised.

To RichardNZ - I had considered the double up of the seal unit and the fluted lens but was advised this will blur things even more.  Apologies if I'm wrong but you drive on the left hand side too, in which case the set-up of the semi sealed unit with the bulb holder (see link above) is a good solution.  If you have US spec lights, you can buy clear lenses and set the US spec side light to act as the indicator as you have a second bulb in the semi sealed unit.  I didn't need it as I'm running with the wing mounted indicators.  The one mentioned above allows you to use the common H4 Halogen bulb so that's cheaper and easier to find as well.

Cheers for everyone's help.  Now to fix the leaking Jaycee Push Rod tubes Wink

Cheers

Stuart
RichardinNZ

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 03:15:17 am »

Hi Stuart
Yes, we are also drive on the right (one of the reasons my wife was happy to move here in 2007 from England!).  I'm attached to my fluted lenses but see big benefits in what you say.
Thanks
Richard

Richard, Auckland, New Zealand

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: