The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:40:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350761 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Pictures Needed: Pre-Cal 40hp "Hotrod" motors from the early days :)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pictures Needed: Pre-Cal 40hp "Hotrod" motors from the early days :)  (Read 9262 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« on: March 26, 2013, 22:46:44 pm »

Well guys as always...... As the title says  Wink

I am looking for some pictures of ENGINES from the early days of "Cal Look" or so called "Per Cal" era.....

You know the sort of thing..... Pre-Cal 40hp "Hotrod" motors...... Bosch Blue Coils, Trumpets on stock carbs, 010 distributors etc etc etc

Lets see what you got  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
johnl

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 23:25:28 pm »

It has been posted prior but here is Jim (Sarge) and myself in spring of 1969 I think.  Photo was taken in my parents driveway, Anaheim, and we proudly show off our KILLER 40hp Motors.  Jim has a Zenith and I'm still on the Solex, both have 010 dizzies and Blue Coils.  Headers are on both cars but we managed to cover most of them up.  Photo taken by Christie (Johnson) Lazenby.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Lee.C

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 23:41:24 pm »

COOL thanks John  Smiley

I just finished porting the original heads from my 65 bug, and I built up an equal length header with my own custom made "fresh air" heater pipes, I also have an original GERMAN Bosch Blue coil (6v!) and I have ordered an 010 from Glenn and I MIGHT send a few little pieces to the Chrome shop soon  Wink Smiley

I am also modifying the original manifold to take a VW/Solex 34pict-3 (with 6v parts!)

Just out of interest what trumpet did you use on your Solex  Huh

johnl

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 00:52:50 am »

Just out of interest what trumpet did you use on your Solex 

The brand name escapes me at the moment but it was store bought.  Possibly from the VW dealer in their display case or maybe from the Custom House in La Habra that I've written about before.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 01:16:34 am »

Something built lately .My monster 40 HP motor ! LOL.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
RichardinNZ

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 08:53:47 am »

Try Aircooled Research for the 'trumpet' if you can't find an original.

Richard, Auckland, New Zealand

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
Lee.C

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 20:16:29 pm »

Cool I have been looking at a single IDA trumpet - I think that might work  Smiley

Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 21:50:07 pm »

Cool I have been looking at a single IDA trumpet - I think that might work  Smiley

It does.
Lee.C

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 22:02:25 pm »

I just LOOOOOOOOOOOVE those fuel lines.... Thats how things SHOULD be done  Smiley

andy198712

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 09:54:05 am »

I just LOOOOOOOOOOOVE those fuel lines.... Thats how things SHOULD be done  Smiley

+1

beautiful work! and DIY linkage?

do the later 1200 heads fit on the earlier (still detachable gen stand) motors? i'd like to make a warm 1200 like you guys have/had here and got a no letter prefix engine and some later heads ect, i just noticed the pushrod ends were different...

what kinda spec were you running? i guess with a 1200 making all of 34bhp every little counts! maybe straight cut gears, balanced internals, maybe a W100 cam, bump the compression as much as you dare....

Grin
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:57:51 am by andy198712 » Logged
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 15:23:30 pm »

Here is my hot rod motor with HOLLEY bugspray and dual port heads.  Rapid cool filter and cooler mounted on back of fan shroud.  I also had an 010 dizzy and extractor muffler. Also had a power pulley on the motor.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
johnl

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 15:39:19 pm »

Last night while researching a couple of my virgin Auto Haus Catalogues looking for Talbot Mirror data I discovered a page on PAR-A-BOLIC Velocity Stacks.  Thought you guys would enjoy seeing this and especially the April 01, 1972 date.  In today's world I'm sure you would have to add at least one ZERO to the left side of the decimal point....  Wink

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 16:08:01 pm »

FYI the velocity stacks available for Kadron carburetors fit perfectly on a Zenith. IMO, the Zenith is the best single carb you can put on a VW.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
johnl

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 18:17:37 pm »

"IMO, the Zenith is the best single carb you can put on a VW".

That was certainly true back in the day and I suspect it still stands..

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 21:48:22 pm »

I just LOOOOOOOOOOOVE those fuel lines.... Thats how things SHOULD be done  Smiley
Hi Andy, Other than raise'n compression from 6.9 to 7.9 and balancei'n internal parts , And make'n manifolds and linkage for the dual 28 PCI-1 carbs, Its stock.
+1

beautiful work! and DIY linkage?

do the later 1200 heads fit on the earlier (still detachable gen stand) motors? i'd like to make a warm 1200 like you guys have/had here and got a no letter prefix engine and some later heads ect, i just noticed the pushrod ends were different...

what kinda spec were you running? i guess with a 1200 making all of 34bhp every little counts! maybe straight cut gears, balanced internals, maybe a W100 cam, bump the compression as much as you dare....

Grin

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Lee.C

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 22:58:17 pm »

Last night while researching a couple of my virgin Auto Haus Catalogues looking for Talbot Mirror data I discovered a page on PAR-A-BOLIC Velocity Stacks.  Thought you guys would enjoy seeing this and especially the April 01, 1972 date.  In today's world I'm sure you would have to add at least one ZERO to the left side of the decimal point....  Wink

COOL Thanks John  Smiley

modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 03:37:25 am »

Very cool thread, these are the engine set-ups I remember my uncles running!

Grin
Lee.C

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 00:14:36 am »

Well I painted my Rocker cover RED today  Wink Smiley

Sarge

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 19:27:46 pm »

Here's the real deal... 40hp, Zenith 32NDIX carb on warped isolated intake manifold, blue coil, 010 distributor, Semi-Chrome polished generator pulley & voltage regulator.  I can't remember where
the velocity stack came from but suspect it was the Custom House in Whittier.  Pretty sure it had a set screw to hold it in place.  I remember buying the carb and manifold from Uve's Bug Shop in
Fullerton for about $75.  Knowing little about mechanics, I was soon over my head... I saw the intake manifold gasket rings and pried them out, looked at them, then threw them in the trash
failing to actually buy AND install new ones. Roll Eyes  I could go on..... Grin

Over the years, the Zenith morphed onto a 1500, 1600, 1700 and finally an 1800cc engine before being bumped off for a 300cfm Holley Bug-Spray.  I felt the Holley performed better after a few modifications to the accelerator pump... the Zenith looked sweet though.

DKP III
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 01:09:08 am »

What did the warning sticker read, Sarge? Good looking engine that is.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
JS

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 05:18:12 am »

"WARNING Do not remove radiator cap".

Very funny.  Grin

Signature.
Lee.C

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 11:26:16 am »

Well its not engine related but I painted my Drums "High Performance" YELLOW yesterday  Wink Smiley

I also finished off my "home-brewed" intake manifold - I modified the original 40hp/1200 item with a larger top mounting plate to take a Solex 34pict-3 and "ported" the inside of the maifold to have a nice "Taper" under the carb - with the small amount of head work I've done and the equal length header this should be a nice little motor  Smiley

Anyone know where I can get a "Lions Drag strip" sticker Huh

johnl

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 18:02:28 pm »

Anyone know where I can get a "Lions Drag strip" sticker

http://compare.ebay.com/like/160375840453?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Lee.C

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 18:25:43 pm »

Cool thanks John  Smiley Does anyone have a good picture of the Lions "Permit" stickers that were placed on the car/engine when racing  Huh

Mangokid

"Inhale the world", (in memory of MH)

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 11:13:05 am »

COOL thanks John  Smiley

I just finished porting the original heads from my 65 bug, and I built up an equal length header with my own custom made "fresh air" heater pipes, I also have an original GERMAN Bosch Blue coil (6v!) and I have ordered an 010 from Glenn and I MIGHT send a few little pieces to the Chrome shop soon  Wink Smiley

I am also modifying the original manifold to take a VW/Solex 34pict-3 (with 6v parts!)

Just out of interest what trumpet did you use on your Solex  Huh

Off topic, but dude, is this right outside Mortens tattoo shop!?!?

To really know the edge and what lies beyond, one must have passed it.
Lee.C

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 19:44:19 pm »

well near there  Wink

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: