The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:48:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350761 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Technical stuff
| | |-+  What engine oil ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What engine oil ?  (Read 156 times)
Baz54

« on: May 12, 2024, 14:56:51 pm »

Hi, i have a 1776 engine in my car and over the years every time I change the oil I do a bit of research on the usual sites.
When I  had it over 10 years ago I always used mineral oil but then the opinion was semi synthetic a good few years later people were saying it’s  a mix of both so pointless, a few years later its fully synthetic . Looking around lately I’ve seen a good VW part supply stating  synthetic oil must not be used on air cooled engines! I’m just wondering what’s the most popular type of oil everyone uses?
Thank you , Paul
PPRMicke

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 18:27:09 pm »

Hi, i have a 1776 engine in my car and over the years every time I change the oil I do a bit of research on the usual sites.
When I  had it over 10 years ago I always used mineral oil but then the opinion was semi synthetic a good few years later people were saying it’s  a mix of both so pointless, a few years later its fully synthetic . Looking around lately I’ve seen a good VW part supply stating  synthetic oil must not be used on air cooled engines! I’m just wondering what’s the most popular type of oil everyone uses?
Thank you , Paul

There is always discussion about oil
We only use good quality mineral oil
Then it is made in the US. For the US, the oil has higher levels of what is good for an air-cooled EU has a different environmental requirement, so there are less of the heavy metals that are good for lifters and cams
If you buy US oil, look at the packaging so it is not the volume, the amount in liters. Then it is manufactured in the EU
You have to look at wear and tear in the engine
Above all on the cam and lifter, also how the bearings look
When we open a 1600 challenge engine that has high revs and lots of boost (8500rpm boost 2.8 bar) the bearings look like new after 3 years
/// Micke
Baz54

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 13:31:45 pm »

Hi Micke, Thank you .  For an engine to be worked that hard and have minimal bearing wear is amazing !
I’m going to go back to where I started and not change from mineral.
Cheers,Paul
mikko k

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2024, 18:12:08 pm »

Valvoline Racing VR1 20W/50 is good oil for aircooled vw engine.

Thats what I have been using 40+ years. It’s mineral oil. No problems ever.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: