The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 19:52:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350757 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Race engine cooling
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Race engine cooling  (Read 3530 times)
Baked Beetle

« on: January 11, 2011, 03:06:46 am »

Hey everyone,

i'm getting into racing this year and have a few questions,

on my motor I'm running jaycee external bypass system with pressure feed line on the main bearing galley.

My main question is does everyone who's not using a stock shroud/alt setup run an oil cooler and fan or just block off plate on stock cooler location?

I have no idea how hot oil gets after a run or 2 with having an external cylinder cooling setup going during a run and return drive.

I'm thinking of a Y pipe from a fan, mounted inside going to modified cylinder head tin

Thanks for advice all, any help is very appreciated.

Here is motor 84x92 11:1 fk8 mag plus 044 42/37.5 44 webers with funny stacks for show Wink Built 2 days ago.

Said car

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:09:23 am by Baked Beetle » Logged
Baked Beetle

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:49:03 am »

Okay so i'm running a oil cooler and fan now.  Embarrassed Embarrassed

I thought it sounded dumb in my head but... Tongue
Fiatdude

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 05:08:22 am »

If u keep racing in the snow cooling shouldn't be a problem

A lot of guys run no cooling and just put a fan on it between rounds -- that is for race only -- of course if you get into a hot lap situation then it could get hairy -- You have to run your car and see what happens -- How hot does it get and how long does it take to cool down -- Of course, it also depends on how fast your car is going to be too -- I say just leave the tin and alternator on it and run it.

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Mike Lawless

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 15:53:48 pm »

We've never ran any oil cooler at all since we decided to remove the cooling tin. Overall on a normal day, (when we were still running gasoline) cooling has not been an issue with no tin, even on the hottest of days. I would check the crank temp (hand held pyrometer with a probe) after a run, and it rarely got above 175°F. I would either leave it with the decklid open till the temp came back down, or run a blower fan on it. It would actually cool faster than it did when it had full cooling tin on.

We did have one event in 2009 where had I not been running methanol, it would have burnt the motor up. Four rounds of racing back to back, less than 15 minutes between rounds.

For the most part these days since the switch to methanol, it's been more of a problem getting heat INTO the motor

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Baked Beetle

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 16:03:23 pm »

thanks for the insight fiatdude, it doesn't snow all the time here, i plan on racing in the spring/summer Wink

Mike, good info also. On a normal Tnt night I might get 3 runs in within 1.5 hrs usually a good break in between. I have a decklid with vents in it that will be mocked up to stand-off, as well as the blower fan I dea I like.

I'm really trying to make this engine 'look' oldschool as opposed to putting on my gb linkage and 36hp fanshroud.

BUT.. at the same time it makes the most sense.

Mike, do you think the shroud & cylinder tins with alt and fan could be sufficient with no oil cooler?

Then cooling and charging is all bundled into one and no real fuss.

thx a lot!  Smiley

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 17:42:15 pm by Baked Beetle » Logged
Mike Lawless

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 05:10:25 am »

On a race only deal, the thing I don't like about the full tin is that it holds the heat in and you can't cool it between rounds as effectively. A lot of guys run that way though

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
kingsburgphil

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 06:11:33 am »

On a race only deal, the thing I don't like about the full tin is that it holds the heat in and you can't cool it between rounds as effectively. A lot of guys run that way though
Back in my VW dealer days, we cooled hot engines with a 110v ducted fan(s) that mated with the sled tins.  15 mins. and you could adjust the valves, enough time to change the points and plugs.  Wink
Fiatdude

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 07:22:01 am »

Back in my VW dealer days, we cooled hot engines with a 110v ducted fan(s) that mated with the sled tins.  15 mins. and you could adjust the valves, enough time to change the points and plugs.  Wink

They had electricity back then?Huh??

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: