The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 20:49:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350757 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Spooling large turbos?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Spooling large turbos?  (Read 7531 times)
Andy Sykes

« on: May 23, 2012, 21:34:56 pm »

What is quicker to spool a turbo on the start line

2 step

Or

NOS

Just somthing I'm trying to understand ?

Cheers andy

I love the haters they make me famous.

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Your only here once turn it up to 11
Fiatdude

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 22:59:00 pm »

There is the way of wacking the throttle numerous times to get it spinning --

I've seen several cars that are unable to spool up on a 2 step -- NOS always works, but there are the times where it works too well, as in THE BIG BANG

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
mymedusa

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 23:23:03 pm »

what about anti lag on the starting line?
Tekken

www.proturbovw.com

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 08:55:50 am »

If you run efi,use anti-lag.Do you use draw through,dump the ignition to spool the turbo.

Ragtop

8.93 at SCC 2012

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 11:47:51 am »

I run a 2 step, has worked fine so far but will rebuild eventually to what Tekken writes

Turbo Town "Home of the overboost addicts"
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 13:24:54 pm »

had russ fellows car on a msd last year we used the 2 step and 17 deg retard. we data logged it and it made 36 psi within 0.35 of a second
its using a quite a large turbo.

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Andy Sykes

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 21:21:33 pm »

Thanks for the info the reason I ask is I have and ecu and nos and a big turbo, the engine is built yet I don't even have half of it yet lol. So I'm thinking do I sell the nos kit at a loss as is never been used all singing and dancing WON kit or do I use it to spool the turbo ?

Cheers andy

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Ragtop

8.93 at SCC 2012

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 21:46:17 pm »

I'd say you don't need Nos at the start. I had a Garett GT45 truck turbo and it spooled up really quick. I had 0.5 bars at the start and have run a 1.29 60 so far.

Turbo Town "Home of the overboost addicts"
Andy Sykes

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 22:26:20 pm »

I'd say you don't need Nos at the start. I had a Garett GT45 truck turbo and it spooled up really quick. I had 0.5 bars at the start and have run a 1.29 60 so far.

1.29 60 that's ace  Grin your GT 45 is bigger than my turbo, I'm thinking I have no need for the NOS but have all the gear so do I make use of it or sell it ?

Cheers andy

Neil Davies

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 21:15:52 pm »

How about keep it, try the car without it and add it later if you need it. Don't fit it from the off, but build the car to cope with it if needed If you don't need it, then you can sell it unused. If you do need it later then you;ve not got to go out and buy it again!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 07:10:30 am »

Still plan on using the DTA S60? If so, you have ALS easily available and there is a section in the manual telling you how to use it and the risks of using it.

With regards to the nitrous, if you have all the stuff and it does not represent a extra cost so why not use it. The latest software upgrade, V63, allows you to use the analogue outputs in a much more flexible way, for example a combination of throttle and rpms. You need to decide if you wish to use it as a power adder or as a cooling aid. Both will of course give you extra HP.

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Andy Sykes

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 18:27:22 pm »

Cheers guys that's if I'm fitting it and going to use it , I still going to use the s60 it's going to be very complex getting all my electronics working together but worth it I hope

Thank Andy  Grin

thejohn66

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 13:02:16 pm »

Simple solution Andy, pop the NOS kit on your mobile apartment/tow vehicle Shocked

Bitburg motor boating club member.
Andy Sykes

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 20:55:25 pm »

Simple solution Andy, pop the NOS kit on your mobile apartment/tow vehicle Shocked

The fuel for N/A is 7 mpg so with nos maybe 4 lol

dragvw2180

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 20:48:11 pm »

Vic Dawson ( kieths Auto Parts ) used to use Nitrogen to spool up his turbo dragster on the line, the waste gate used to pop off while staged. Mike McCarthy
Airspeed

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 17:11:13 pm »

Still plan on using the DTA S60? If so, you have ALS easily available and there is a section in the manual telling you how to use it and the risks of using it.

I think I never had a bigger laugh when browsing through any software program as with the ALS settings in DTA: When you want to 'enable' ALS in the software, the ecu asks firstly: "Are you sure?"
When you click on 'yes', it poses a second question: "Do you really have the budget to run ALS?"
 Cheesy (not kidding)

This story just as a reminder what it can do to your engine's longlivety...

I think maybe 'launch control' is meant instead of ALS by Tekken in his post? LC works like a 2-step imo and just retards the ignition to keep it at a certain rpm while you have the pedal to the floor standing still and thus building boost.
I never had the nerve to fully depress the pedal, but it does work indeed.

The question also is (imho) if using a 2-step or LC or whatever with a large turbo is the way to go: It usually means leaving the line with a high-ish RPM which is a killer for clutches.
Maybe (I dunno as I have no experience with NOS), the NOS-way to spool the turbo gives low-rpm torque and if you can leave with a lower rpm, that must be a lot better for clutch survival?

Anyone with experience with both care to comment?

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: