The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 10:29:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Pauter Rockers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pauter Rockers  (Read 7816 times)
Andy Sykes

« on: October 15, 2013, 13:17:25 pm »

Hi Guys

does anybody else run these rockers I've been informed by two others that they have had issues on start up with them breaking is this is not a common issue Pauter tell me its not and issue a far as they know, they have made 1000s of them over the years, they have changed design recently to remove the needle bearings and go to a bush.

these are the reasons I've been given that they may snap and that makes sense

A - exceeding valve spring capability and rating causing valve float from over RPM
B-  combination of improper cam profile and rocker ratio choice to application
C - spring coil bind , retainer to guide interference
D- improper valve lash and index point
F - under-rated pushrods
E - RPM rev. limiters ( especially on turbo systems , pop and banging in the exhaust cause bunch of havoc on exhaust rockers , valve , keeper , etc. )
G - fatigue from cycle time

anybody else got any input?

cheers Andy

I love the haters they make me famous.

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Your only here once turn it up to 11
Udo

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 18:28:16 pm »

I would say these are the best you can get . You have the strongest version for the pauter heads with3 bolts for each cylinder . i do not know how old are the oldest i have  Smiley

Udo
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 21:59:13 pm by Udo » Logged

Shane Noone

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 18:36:38 pm »

Andy - I have heard similar stories and was suprised as was always told they were the best, period. I have had two sets of 1.4's and a set of 1.5's with no issues. Admittedly these are on limited power normally aspirated motors making power around 6500 - 7300 range and around 200 bhp. Your new motor is in a different league...  Shocked

Shane.
JS

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 18:53:57 pm »

The ones I´ve heard bad things about are the 2-bolt 3-piece shaft versions. They stopped doing them, if I´m not mistaken.

Signature.
Andy Sykes

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 19:05:23 pm »

Thanks guys from what I get it is easy to blame a component when all the above mistakes or issues can course it to break, I guess I could break one on the dyno as that's were issues will first show their head. I will give I ago and see how I get on. I guess if you torched a head the head wouldn't be blamed it would be down to mapping mostly

Cheers Andy

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Fiatdude

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 20:40:58 pm »

Hey Andy -- --

I've ran 1.5 with bearings and the 1.4 bushed -- both with the 3 piece shafts, 2 studs -- I've broken a few studs (all on the same engine), mostly with the 1.4's, go figure, all on my 2919/2963 ARP engine -- no problems with the rockers themselves -- I've now got a set of the new one piece shafts with 1.4 rocker -- will be getting the engine fired up here in the next month.

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Udo

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 22:02:06 pm »

The ones I´ve heard bad things about are the 2-bolt 3-piece shaft versions. They stopped doing them, if I´m not mistaken.
I think they are still avaliable

Udo

Elnef

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 05:38:30 am »

I bought my pauter heads in 2008 they got the bearing ones 1,4 and later I bought a 1,6 set new model never had a problem with any of them
My engine run a bit over 8000rpm and made 300+ hp N/A

Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 12:03:03 pm »

Pauter Rockers are the best weve used.

don't forget there are two type, street and super pro's. the ones on yours Andy are super pros.

doesn't matter how many holes the rocker shafts have, they all run on the same diameter shaft.

Don sent me a set of development rockers years ago (bush less), and even after all the dyno time, and springs ranging from 500lb to 980lb they still look like new. testament to there quality.

Russ used to run the Street pauter rocker on my old 910 heads, and he was also running silly spring pressures, he would only experience failure when the springs started to go off, and loose valve control. this gives the rockers all kinds of pain.

and to be honest I'd rather a rocker break, than a lifter / pushrod / cam etc.

You just cant right them off as shit, from a few failures. there are loads of other factors to include in why a rocker fails.

these are the bush less super pro rockers

Martin

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Andy Sykes

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 18:22:51 pm »

Hi I wasn't saying they were rubbish at all they look bomb proof to me, I was just exploring the fact that I've been told that they break very easy so asked the question as it seam odd to me. And it proved its self that they are good and fit for purpose

Cheers Andy

spanners

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 19:59:49 pm »

Big difference with turbo to N/A, its backfires that wreck things in turbo town, turbo backfire can blow valves into pistons, into coil bind or retainers crashing into the guides whichever the engine clearances allow, it will break any rocker depending were in the cycle the event occurs, i stopped using rev limiters with turbos, breaking a rocker or two happened , then i lost a motor when a valve blew open, my motors were soft at 18/20 psi boost. most big boost rallycross motors run blow off valves for some added protection.

Best regards, spanners.
Andy Sykes

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 21:18:05 pm »

I like the idea of a blow off / safety vale could be done with a electronic BOV controlled via the ecu or a Hobbs switch would be easier

Cheers Andy

steve_pugh

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 23:09:10 pm »

If it makes you feel any better.  I saw a broken one of these blue rockers on a bench at Phill Norman's workshop just yesterday. 

JLH

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 15:43:59 pm »

What do you/we think about running super pros in a street car?  Huh

T1 1965 Cal Look 2110 Turbo
T1 1954 Oval
russ fellows

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 16:01:04 pm »

Perfectly fine. They will work just the same only stronger. May take some fitting depending on the heads
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 17:36:11 pm »

Russ fellows uses a computer shocker!!!!!!

Super Pros on the street.... how the hell you going to break them!

Martin

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
JLH

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 13:53:58 pm »

I know they are strong, but a little bird told me that they wouldent take the wear of a street/strip car as good as more regular type rockers like cb 1:1.4 rockers? Just asking. I have 1:1.5 super pros and cb competition eliminators heads. And it's going to be used some strip and more street. So thought maybe i should use other rockers?  Smiley

T1 1954 Oval
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 13:56:31 pm »

had the little bird ran them on the street?

Martin

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
ED2.4

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 17:26:21 pm »

Hi,
i ran the old ones with the needle bearings  ( 1.4 ) on a 2332cc ,205hp,and with a Webcam 86C (not a very soft cam) ,  during 6000miles  in severe street use ,
no problem, no wear, valve lash has never change after the breakin period
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 08:40:52 am by ED2.4 » Logged

DeluxeRacingTeam >>>>  http://charlie48ida.skynetblogs.be/
JLH

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 23:24:03 pm »

This is good news  Smiley

T1 1954 Oval
UltraOrange67-2443

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 09:13:26 am »

Good stuff

1967 1200 2920cc EFI