The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 18:27:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350784 Posts in 28591 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Fitting a super 90 in my T1 65
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fitting a super 90 in my T1 65  (Read 2431 times)
Torgeir Schibevaag
Global Moderator

« on: October 23, 2007, 11:14:40 am »

I`m considering fitting a super 90 engine to my 65.. Yeah yeah I know its not a Ida screamer but i like it any way... Smiley
It`s easy to see  that the cooling tins neads to be changed, I also know that i might need to do some  changes to the clutch.. I`ve looked for some how too`s on the net, but with not to much luck..

If somebody has any links, or maybe some experience to share with me it would help me alot...

Regards

Torgeir

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 00:23:28 am »

COOL idea dude I was planning this a few years ago I even went to look a scrap 912 with a good running engine - I didn't do that much research but it should be fairly straight forward - they run a roller crank you know Shocked Smiley

Where's your engine coming from  Huh

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 03:42:39 am »

Sounds COOL! Someone on ebay has the PERFECT manifolds for a project like that!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DEANO-DYNOSAUR-WEBER-48-IDA-carb-manifolds-Porsche-356_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34198QQihZ005QQitemZ150177192052QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Torgeir Schibevaag
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 09:48:18 am »

The engine i out of a 66 912... however i due to work and a newly acquired 50 mod t1, the engine project just has to be pushed back a bit...

regards
Torgeir

Paul Knight

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 13:34:45 pm »

hi, i ran a 356 motor in my old rat bug a couple of years ago.

first i had to cut away some material around the rear bumper mounts to clear the cylinder heads - i also removed the side trays inside the engine bay... those motors are bigger than they look when you start offering them up! for a clutch i used a bugpack h/d cover plate as mine had a 180mm flywheel (it was an older,50s, 6-volt 356). those bugpack clutches are rated at 1300lb, and it was cheap, too!
you need to trim the edges of the cylinder head shrouds a little, but that should be enough to get the thing bolted in place.
mine was running ndix carbs and the stock linkage, which i hooked up by adapting the lever rod end from a 356. the only downside was that the linkage ratio didn't match the beetle throttle pedal (ie it didn't have enough travel to reach full-throttle. an easier option would have been to fit webers and an aftermarket bug-style linkage that hooked up at the rear of the engine! but, more important at the time was that the motor looked 'stock' and as though it had been fitted back in the day. the longest job though was fabricating an exhaust. in short, i gave up trying to mod a 356 'zorst and decided to use a bug header with the square-port ends from the 356 zorst grafted in place.
that engine was only a 75hp unit but it was really nice to drive. very smooth and revvy - more refined than a tuned bug motor.
go for it, it's not as easy as some will tell you, but if you don't mind cutting your car a little, it's a cool conversion and a great talking point in the pub!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: