The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 20:51:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350757 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Pedals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pedals  (Read 6871 times)
AntLockyer

« on: June 14, 2008, 21:40:18 pm »

As my pedal assembly went missing at some stage I need a new one. Also I have no throttle pedal hinge on the pan either.

So I was thinking either put a stock assembly on and try to find a hinge to weld on for the throttle or go for a hydraulic clutch setup.

What is available that works in a bug? I know Bernie sells the Neal ones without the throttle pedal. Is there anything suitable with all 3 pedals on?

Cheers

Ant

12.618 @ 104.87mph
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 02:21:26 am »

STOCK brake and clutch and a MOON VW pedal works PERFECT every time  Smiley

All you need to do is add some kind of "roller" to the STOCK throttle rod for the moon pedal to act on - a skateboard whee and bearing l works perfectly  Wink Smiley

See Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
AntLockyer

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 08:26:50 am »

Thanks for that, certainly looks like it would be a decent option. Now all I have to do is find a pedal assembly. My car is a 67 so I think the later one with the throttle combined is correct.

You've also made me want a CB radio for my bus now Smiley

12.618 @ 104.87mph
henk

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 11:16:28 am »

All you need to do is add some kind of "roller" to the STOCK throttle rod for the moon pedal to act on - a skateboard whee and bearing l works perfectly  Wink Smiley

See Smiley

do you have a picture off what you just have done to make it work i have a mooneyes pedal laying around as well but don't know how to make it work
leec

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 13:09:14 pm »

See Smiley

That looks like the set up i need for the race car Smiley

How does it perform, is it 'snappy' or quite smooth? I already have a bearing with roller skate wheel but would prefer the look/feel of a pedal!

Where did you get the moon one?

Lee
Lee.C

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 13:31:16 pm »

Glad you like them guys - Me and my friend gav (G77) cam up with this set up - it works PERFECTLY - the throttle pedal is SOOOOOOOOOOOO smooth Smiley

I will try and post a pic soon but all you need to do is remove the ORIGINAL vw plastic roller from the rod (keep the little clip) Then put the skate wheel/bearing in its place and refit the clip. Then bolt the moon pedal to the floorpan just where the original pedal hinged (may need some grinding to remove the old tabs) Make sure you spend some time getting this placement RIGHT.

You can also drill a smalll hole in the bottom left hand corner of the moon pedal and "tap" it for an M8 thread - then get fit a M8 grub screw - this now means you can ADJUST the angle of the moon pedal so its PERFECT for you style of driving  Smiley

Pic's soon guys  Smiley

"You've also made me want a CB radio for my bus now " they are way cool aren't they  Wink Smiley

leec

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 14:12:57 pm »

Glad you like them guys - Me and my friend gav (G77) cam up with this set up - it works PERFECTLY - the throttle pedal is SOOOOOOOOOOOO smooth Smiley

I will try and post a pic soon but all you need to do is remove the ORIGINAL vw plastic roller from the rod (keep the little clip) Then put the skate wheel/bearing in its place and refit the clip. Then bolt the moon pedal to the floorpan just where the original pedal hinged (may need some grinding to remove the old tabs) Make sure you spend some time getting this placement RIGHT.

You can also drill a smalll hole in the bottom left hand corner of the moon pedal and "tap" it for an M8 thread - then get fit a M8 grub screw - this now means you can ADJUST the angle of the moon pedal so its PERFECT for you style of driving  Smiley

Pic's soon guys  Smiley

"You've also made me want a CB radio for my bus now " they are way cool aren't they  Wink Smiley

Pics would be great
Lee
AntLockyer

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 15:35:19 pm »

Question, is this wht moon describe as the small dragster pedal?

EDIT. Never mind I see it's the VW one in the catalogue.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 15:56:31 pm by AntLockyer » Logged

12.618 @ 104.87mph
cal-look.net

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 08:37:58 am »

I have the same setup Lee!!

I do however find the pedal very snappy - I think this is my linkages fault though!

Cheers,

Steve
Lee.C

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »

another tip for early cars is to use the Later style "Flexible" throttle cable from a 70's bug.

Also make sure the cover in the passenger footwell is not bent/tight and restricting movment - then finally check where the cable leaves the chassis at the rear and make sure there are NO restriction  Smiley

Just a couple of tips for you guys  Smiley

AntLockyer

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 13:45:45 pm »

A freidn of mine says he has a cable operated dragster pedal like the moon one. I wonder if this might be a better prospect.

12.618 @ 104.87mph
Lee.C

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 13:49:40 pm »

A freidn of mine says he has a cable operated dragster pedal like the moon one. I wonder if this might be a better prospect.

Na trust me this set up fool proof and works perfectly EVERY time  Smiley

cal-look.net

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 13:54:03 pm »

can you come over and fix mine then fella!

is kinda on or off at the moment!!!  Grin  Wink
AntLockyer

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 16:50:39 pm »

can you come over and fix mine then fella!

and then mine please, you could stop at mine on the way back, it would break up the journey Smiley

12.618 @ 104.87mph
leec

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 18:28:46 pm »

Na trust me this set up fool proof and works perfectly EVERY time  Smiley

Is yours the 'vw' one that moon sale?
Lee.C

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 20:40:49 pm »

Right for a start I have to give Props to Gav (G77) for coming up with this idea - Sorry dude  Smiley

Now thats out the way there are a couple of things I forgot:

1 - if you have an EARLY pedal assembly you will need to add a short length of theaded bar or a bolt to the throttle rod to mount the skate wheel/bearing

2 - if you have a LATE pedal assembly you can slide the skate wheel/bearing straight over the original rod and still use the original retaining clip

3 - YES this is the VW type that MOON sells

4 - if you guys need any help with this then give me a call on 07824883975

5 - I promise to post some pic's SOON  Smiley

AntLockyer

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 20:55:15 pm »

I need to find a late pedal assembly first. I'm sure I'll have some questions once that not smal hurdle is taken care of.

12.618 @ 104.87mph
cal-look.net

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 08:17:59 am »

I used this throttle cable - helped a lot!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILVER-Universal-Throttle-Cable-Kit-Car-Go-Kart-Race_W0QQitemZ350069927952QQihZ022QQcategoryZ43120QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am sure the arms on my linkage are a bit on the  short side, even pushing it by hand is snappy!

Cheers,

Steve
leec

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 18:11:20 pm »

Right for a start I have to give Props to Gav (G77) for coming up with this idea - Sorry dude  Smiley

Now thats out the way there are a couple of things I forgot:

1 - if you have an EARLY pedal assembly you will need to add a short length of theaded bar or a bolt to the throttle rod to mount the skate wheel/bearing

2 - if you have a LATE pedal assembly you can slide the skate wheel/bearing straight over the original rod and still use the original retaining clip

3 - YES this is the VW type that MOON sells

4 - if you guys need any help with this then give me a call on 07824883975

5 - I promise to post some pic's SOON  Smiley

Any luck with the pics? Wink
Lee.C

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 23:01:05 pm »

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic's guys - hope this helps -the moon pedal is removed so you can see the Skate wheel - you just simply bolt the moon pedal in front of this "roller"  Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: