The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 21:51:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350701 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Which cam is best
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Which cam is best  (Read 4294 times)
taffy apple

« on: September 10, 2014, 15:30:16 pm »

Could anyone advise me out of the two cams I have, which would work better with a type1 2180 running nitros.
They are both webcam, the one that came out of the engine is a 109, the one I got on the shelf is a 251.
Many thanks Graham.
richie

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 17:01:47 pm »

Hi Graham

109 is small and 251 is big!!!!  Neither would be my choice for that application unless you got real big heads then the 251 would work

What heads and rockers have you got?

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
taffy apple

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 17:22:19 pm »

Hi Richie, the heads are street eliminators that have had a bit of work, the rockers we took off are 1.4.
richie

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 18:15:20 pm »

The 251 is probably going to have to much lift for the valve springs in those heads

taffy apple

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 20:26:44 pm »

Could you recommend a cam that best suit Ritchie, and do you stock it?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 20:45:39 pm by taffy apple » Logged
K-Roc

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 21:24:27 pm »

I have tried several cams in my 2332 with a 50 shot and I am going back to my 86C,  reasonably easy on the valve train and it made the most power on the Nitrous with it.

My feeling is that for a small shot of nitrous use the cam that makes the most power ( for the combination ) normally aspirated. and it will work well on the button.

for big shots of Nitrous its a different story.....
richie

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 08:52:12 am »

I have tried several cams in my 2332 with a 50 shot and I am going back to my 86C,  reasonably easy on the valve train and it made the most power on the Nitrous with it.

My feeling is that for a small shot of nitrous use the cam that makes the most power ( for the combination ) normally aspirated. and it will work well on the button.

for big shots of Nitrous its a different story.....

Agreed Shocked Grin

I would put a FK8 in your engine Graham if I was building it, cant go wrong with it, you would have to check for coil bind etc, I don't know how much lift you have with the 109? as looking at Web cams site it looks to me like its not for 1.4 rockers

cheers Richie

taffy apple

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 10:02:30 am »

Thanks for the advise k-Roc and Richie, I will go with that cam, I need to find out if the rockers are actually 1.4, as they are not recommended with the 109. Ive had a look on them but can't see anything but a vw logo stamp on the arm.
I got the engine complete, so only working on what I was told. Is there a easy way to find out, what rockers I have?.
Many thanks Graham
richie

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 10:57:08 am »

Thanks for the advise k-Roc and Richie, I will go with that cam, I need to find out if the rockers are actually 1.4, as they are not recommended with the 109. Ive had a look on them but can't see anything but a vw logo stamp on the arm.
I got the engine complete, so only working on what I was told. Is there a easy way to find out, what rockers I have?.
Many thanks Graham

They have to be 1.1 or at most 1.25 with a vw logo, maybe if you put a pic up someone will identify them, other way is to measure them on an engine to see what they give

I have FK8s here if you need one

cheers Richie

taffy apple

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 11:20:23 am »

Pretty sure there 1.1, the cup is drilled in the centre and they are all stamped up vw logo, not gonna be any good for the fk8,.
Could you put it to one side Richie, as it looks like I got a new parts list starting ;-).
taffy apple

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 12:01:47 pm »

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/grahamwhite74/library/
http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/grahamwhite74/media/imagejpg1_zps613d8bd8.jpg.html
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:07:28 pm by taffy apple » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: