The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 17:43:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350700 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  which trans!?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: which trans!?  (Read 2596 times)
budgetbeast

« on: October 08, 2014, 03:44:22 am »

hi everybody, this is my first post so dont kill me haha. Im putting together an engine and am stuck as far as what i need for a trans. The engine is a turbo 1915 and should put almost 300 to the tires, and will be used as a daily driver with the rare run down the track. I really am stuck on what i need, all the off road guys ive talked to say i need either a fully built 091 or a mendy, but then i find posts on here of people in 11s with the bug trans!? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Chris bugster

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 07:31:47 am »

Those sand guys use huge paddles as tyres and so produce lots of grip even on sand.
The reason why gearboxes fail is not so much a case of power but rather the rate of transfer of that power to the ground, and the soliditity of the mounting of gearbox. I have seen stock beetle gearboxes fail with 100hp when used with harsh clutches and slicks in a beetle that didn't have a solidly mounted gearbox.

11.2@124mph
budgetbeast

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 02:55:39 am »

So would an 002 be a good choice if it was beefed up a little?
Fiatdude

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 03:46:22 am »

The problem with a 002 is the low gearing and they basically use type 1 gears -- and with a turbo engine -- you'll find a turbo likes to 'work' more than a NA engine so a high geared freeway flyer trans is better -- I just ponied up a put a 091 in my Ghia with overdrive 3rd and 4th gear sets in it

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
jaqo

Bugster Team

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 11:06:22 am »

Those sand guys use huge paddles as tyres and so produce lots of grip even on sand.
He wrote "off road" not "sand" and it's not necessarily the same. Anyway, paddles or not, it's not the traction that kills gearboxes in off road application but shock loads they get at all those jumps,  holes, gear changes, heavy tires etc. So the question is what will be your driving style - you can get away with beefed up beetle trans on the road if you use it properly/gently or you can destroy a mendy with stupid driving. My advice -get the strongest gearbox you can afford.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:15:29 am by jaqo » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: