The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 17:56:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350700 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Where to start (best base model) ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Where to start (best base model) ?  (Read 1652 times)
StewRat

« on: April 24, 2015, 14:24:24 pm »

"Where to start" seemed like a good title for a first post here.

For a while now I've entertained the idea of building a low-budget (if there is such a thing) fox body mustang drag racer.
But I'm coming to the realization that what is a fairly common $10k racer in the USA ($5k car and $5k bolt ons) doesn't really translate to the UK.

So, given that VWs (vans so far) are my other automotive passion in addition to American V8s, I started looking around and found places like this!

I know there are a million things to think about, but as a fundamental starting place ...

Does it matter what base beetle model I start with? - On the mustang side I'd pretty much identified the exact year/model that would be the best starting place (if ever a solid, affordable example ever hit these shores).
I guess I'm thinking about versions like Supers - any reason to favour or avoid them?
Any years/versions that have wrinkles that could catch me out later?

To define my aims:

Race only, not street, so I could strip out a decent amount of weight.
Initially racing at local airstrip drag, objective being to give the hot hatches a run for their money.
Initially adding power upgrades to stock motor (or replacement bigger cc stock motor), then more power, suspension tuning etc as budget allows and aspiration demands!

.... what I mean is I'm not planning to build a balls out 10s car on the first iteration.

Thanks for any advice .

StewRat

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

The Stew Rat build thread http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,25365.0.html
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 04:59:46 am »

1.   BIG ACVW engines cost lots. Lots and lots. 1600s or 1679s with basic ported heads/compression/cam/carbs, and a close 3rd and 4th in a stock-ish gearbox don't.
2.   A hot 1600 in my '73 Super would do low-15s, coz it weighs 900kg or so (street spec).
3.   A hot 1600 in a stripped-out '63 Beetle would do high-13s, coz it weighs 660kg (race spec).

High-13s in a Beetle will suck the mirrors clean off a hot hatchback that runs high-12s, coz it will stomp off the line not spin up.

Have fun!  Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: