The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 15:05:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350764 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  broken screw thread oil pump
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: broken screw thread oil pump  (Read 3372 times)
vintagewagenwerks

« on: January 17, 2011, 18:35:39 pm »

hey guys ,today iīve build of my oilpump because itīs leaking and i realised that one of the screw threads is damaged ,in the past someone have repaired it by helicoil ,the drilled whole is 10mm at now so a M8 repaircoil does not fit and the try to fill the whole with power metal and fix a repair coil in does not work safely because you can not tighten the screw as hard as it have to be 25 NM of torque maybe it is 15 now so have someone an idea how i can fix this problem correctly.the engine do not loose much oil at the screw but it is annoying .The pump is screwed by scews and copper rings not by nuts

Itīs better to burn out than to fade away.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 18:59:51 pm »

The pump is screwed by scews and copper rings not by nuts
That's the original cause of the problem. The threads in the case were never designed to have bolts screwed in and out – the metal is too soft for that. That's why the factory used studs. I am sure you can have a new threaded insert put into the case (they are available in a variety of inside and outside diameters) and then install a stud – or rather, install FOUR studs and secure the oil pump that way. Maybe use an industrial epoxy to secure the stud, too. Don't use bolts straight into the case…

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
vintagewagenwerks

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 19:09:44 pm »

the problem with the epoxy i have used is that this is to soft to drill exactly for a repair coil .so the repair coil does not seem to replaced as good it have to be.the diameter of the drilled whole is by 10mm so to big for a 8mm screw thread ..so usin an m 10 repair outside and m 8 inside thread do not work, that my problem .are their some special epoxys you thinking of?

TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 20:26:13 pm »

You could try using a Time-Sert Bigsert, like this ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BIG-SERT-NEW-5812-M8-X-1-25-SECOND-THREAD-REPAIR-KIT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem41556f89dbQQitemZ280606247387QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

However, for the best results, I'd use a drill press or milling machine which means the engine would have to be out of the car ... Tongue
Also, I'd check to make sure this will fix that large of a hole before purchasing! Might also be TOO BIG ...

Good Luck!

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 21:09:27 pm »

I'm with Tom, if you go Time-Sert the OD will be very close to M10. It could destroy your pump bore, but it is your best shot. Forget epoxy's, i'ts just glue IMHO.

Done ? Not Yet.
vintagewagenwerks

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 21:16:57 pm »

thanks for your help ,i also tried it with somethin like this but this item seems to be better than mine i used v-coil repair for m8 but the insert is not big enough ,i knew this parts you send me in the link you can also use for make the screw threads of the pistons studs stronger they have m10 on the outside maybe a good result can be taken with a inch screw thread but i repair it when my 2276 engine will stand on my work bench ,the fear of a fault is to big ,at the time it is tighten no oil leaves the pump ,i turned the screw a little bit tight and clued it outside with epoxy .semms to be good for driving this season .

i clued it with this

http://www.petec.de/preloader_produkte.swf

Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 21:34:28 pm »

In the past i tapped a Inch OD Timesert to Metric on the inside and screwed it in a "H%*A.... It worked. (Bitch to do).

Done ? Not Yet.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: