The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 09:33:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350702 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Project motivation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Project motivation  (Read 5917 times)
leec

« on: August 02, 2014, 22:33:09 pm »

Hi guys,
Sat at home wondering how you keep yourself motivated on long term car projects.
My tube chassis notchback hasn't progressed much in the last 3 months a d struggling to get back on it.
Any advice?
Lee
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 22:49:01 pm »

Yes buy one that is already been finished. 

Hahaha your killing me.........
leec

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 22:54:55 pm »

Yes buy one that is already been finished. 

Good idea Grin
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 23:01:12 pm »

I know I'm full of them.  Tongue

Hahaha your killing me.........
bedjo78

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 01:47:55 am »

keep going. i ve been on the 6th year building the squareback. money and time restriction  Grin Grin

image share
Fiatdude

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 03:55:58 am »

These long term projects are always a love/hate thing -- Sometimes you just have to walk away for a while so that you don't become a hater to it -- when your loving it, then there ain't enough hours in the day

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Jos

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 04:10:36 am »

I'm right there with ya Lee. I've been working on my beetle for almost 3 years and I can't seem to finish it. I could seriously finish it in a solid day or two but I can't seem to motivate myself to tackle the wiring and bolting the body to the chassis :/ I'm hoping to have it done by the end of this month so I can drive it to a local show. I'm also hoping that by setting a deadline for myself, I might be more incline to do more. We'll see...
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 05:42:38 am »

Good friends.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Fiatdude

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 06:43:18 am »

A buddy told me to just do one bolt a day -- then sometimes you accidently do two LOL

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
leec

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 08:37:25 am »

keep going. i ve been on the 6th year building the squareback. money and time restriction  Grin Grin

image share

That makes me feel even worse Grin great project. Anymore pics/details?
I struggle with time, my wife and I work full time and various shift times and when mixed in with a 3 year old son cars come low on the allocation of time list!
Lee
Andy Sykes

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 10:33:22 am »

Can't say I suffer with lack of motivation just earning the money to buy/make the next bit  Cry

I love the haters they make me famous.

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Your only here once turn it up to 11
dannyboy

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 10:38:03 am »

yeah id say stop making excuses not to finish it and get on with it Cheesy motivation for me is getting back on the track and running lower times

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
leec

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 10:54:14 am »

Thanks guys. Just looked back at some pics on the iPad and that has sparked a bit of enthusiasm Smiley
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 11:45:07 am »

Hey lee

You've done the hard work, start building up the rolling frame and planning the layout should give you a bit of a boost

( says the guy with more projects than time ) lol
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:29:40 am by Ron Elliot » Logged

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Bryan67

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 01:44:47 am »

Temperatures over 105 for two weeks is my motivation killer.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Jeff68

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 13:31:57 pm »

It is hard to stay motivated sometimes! I haven't driven my cay in over a year!  Angry  I had to study to pass my professional engineering certification exam, finish remodeling / adding two rooms to my house, take care of a second house, then recently had another baby (one month old now) and I have two other great kids and a wife as well.  Almost done with the house remodeling stuff, then i can go through the car, make some improvements and drive it again. I thought about selling the car and all my parts and stuff many times when I got bummed about not having time for it. I come here and read about all the cool stuff people are doing and have done and it cheers me up. I'll have time soon and there are some cool shows coming up, that keeps me motivated. Remember, success / finish line is just around the corner, the project is just a journey (which can be fun) to get there! Keep a positive attitude and think about the finished project. Smiley
DWL_Puavo

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 14:24:04 pm »

We've been gathering motivation for our projects by arranging garage evenings with a few good buddies with enough mechanical abilities to do some progress. In a few hours with a few cold ones, you can kick a project forward enough that your own inspiration sparks again. It usually isn't the next morning but on sunday it feels that something has been accomplished and it's easier to carry on. Also it's way more interesting to do something to a friends car when you've done only your own car for last century or so.

And when you have enough projects, there's always something interesting to do. We've found that 2-3 project aircoolers per person should be sufficient to keep up the motivation, and if it doesn't, there's always good projects for sale!

Puavo / DWL
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 14:43:03 pm »

We've been gathering motivation for our projects by arranging garage evenings with a few good buddies with enough mechanical abilities to do some progress. In a few hours with a few cold ones, you can kick a project forward enough that your own inspiration sparks again. It usually isn't the next morning but on sunday it feels that something has been accomplished and it's easier to carry on. Also it's way more interesting to do something to a friends car when you've done only your own car for last century or so.

Puavo / DWL

Now that is what I call a good tip! Thanks for sharing.

Best rgs
BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: