The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 14:21:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350784 Posts in 28591 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  The Simple Santana Refresh
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Simple Santana Refresh  (Read 2191 times)
Jos

« on: April 13, 2015, 02:15:00 am »

This little project was by no means a complicated task nor does it require actual skill Smiley If you have some Santana pulleys laying around you may want to use them again. 

Time it took - 1 hour of actual labor with 2 days of wait time
Tools I used - 1 can of Carb cleaner, 1 plastic dash tool, a pick tool, mother's powerball, red loctite,
Parts I used - 1 Gene Berg Degree ring (Berg bought the rights to Santana's design
Total Cost - $22 give or take

This is how it looked prior

I soaked it in Carb cleaner for 2 days (making sure to mark with a tiny scratch where TDC was) and then used the pick to gently pry up the old ring. After removing it there was still some adhesive left.

My handy dash tool came into play here making it easy to remove that old residue without too much hassle and without damaging the pulley.

I then went over the pulley several times with my powerball and some Mother's Polish (you can't tell from this picture because my ancient iphone camera sucks)

I then used very little loctite and spread it evenly around the pulley and then applied my Berg ring. I found that a paint can is the exact same size as a stock pulley and then used it to apply even pressure around the pulley.

For $22, I have a really nice old school pulley and don't have to settle for an inferior pulley. Here are the results. They aren't perfect but I'm pleased Smiley

Brian Rogers

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 17:04:13 pm »

Nice job. I'd been thinking of this when I'd found a minty unused one for cheap. I'll pick up the next one i find and try it.
Jos

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 17:57:53 pm »

Like I said, nothing ground breaking here but it's nice to know Berg offers replacement rings and you'll have a much higher quality pulley than an empi, scat or bugpack
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: