The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 13:59:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  CB Wide Five kit on Oval w 14"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CB Wide Five kit on Oval w 14"  (Read 6263 times)
Bendik

« on: September 17, 2008, 20:17:42 pm »

Hi
I raised a question about the Wide 5 kit from CB in another tread, but that was really about ball joints so her I go; I am thinking about buying this kit front and rear for the Oval, but I hae some questions
1/Will this kit work with a 14" rim on a link pin car. Do anybody have a measurement from the spindle centreline to the most outward point?
2/If I buy the kit for short axles and later change to long axles on this car, would I have to change the kit as well?
3/Are there other modificatons needed for the braking system in addition to the disc brake master cylinder, like residual valves etc?

Is this kit a  big improvement over say 65 drums in the fron with T3 drums on the rear?
Any info is appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 20:21:18 pm by Bendik » Logged
Bendik

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 16:22:29 pm »

Is there nobody that tried this kit that can help w/info? Any help appreciated.
guillaume

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 16:45:50 pm »

Hi,

I wonder the same question with DDS 13 inch wheels...

Sorry to hijack your post ;-)

Thanks
Bendik

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 19:20:13 pm »

I got some answers from CB today. I post it here since others might need the info as well:
"Hello Bendik, recently this kit was featured in the Hot VW magazine on a thing.  They tried to fit it with a 14" wheel and had to use a 15" one.  I measured to the outer edge of the caliper and it was about 6 1/4" for the front and about 6 3/4" to the rear.  The stud we use for the BRM is 2 1/4" long for the 5" wheels.  For the 6 1/2" wheels we supply a 2 1/2" stud.  For the last question if you decide to run a long axle car we have a spacer for the rear disc brake kit #4655"
Im off to the cellar to measure my rims..
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 19:46:25 pm »

Just my 2 cents - DON'T BUY THE CB KIT! - They are Crap! They use "Fiat" calipers Shocked spend the extra money and get a set from CSP Cool

Like I say its just my 2 cent but if you do go with CB make sure you get the kit that mounts the Caliper at the "Back" of the wheel (towards the rear of the car)

You either "Get It" or you don't......
axam48ida

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 21:07:37 pm »

I got a csp kit for sale!!!!!!
New in the box.
 I have a set on my oval and they work great

old bugs never die, they just get faster!!!
Lee.C

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 01:16:28 am »

just out of interest are your caliper towards the front or back of the car  Huh

Hotrodvw

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 06:00:34 am »

Just my 2 cents - DON'T BUY THE CB KIT! - They are Crap! They use "Fiat" calipers Shocked spend the extra money and get a set from CSP Cool

Like I say its just my 2 cent but if you do go with CB make sure you get the kit that mounts the Caliper at the "Back" of the wheel (towards the rear of the car)

I'm gonna have to call bullshit on this one.  Are you speaking w/ experience or heresay??  I have the CB kit front and rear and am quite pleased.  What's wrong with the Fiat calipers??  I haven't had any issues what so ever.  They stop firm and true, no pulling, or other issues.  I haven't had to get on the brakes hard enough to lock the fronts up yet, they stop well enough as is. 

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Bendik

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 11:45:36 am »

Are You also using the master cylinder from CB? Any other mods to the brake system? Are Your caliper facing the rear or towards the front as monkiboy is refering to? Just curious..
Lee.C

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 12:52:52 pm »

I'm gonna have to call bullshit on this one.  Are you speaking w/ experience or heresay??  I have the CB kit front and rear and am quite pleased.  What's wrong with the Fiat calipers??  I haven't had any issues what so ever.  They stop firm and true, no pulling, or other issues.  I haven't had to get on the brakes hard enough to lock the fronts up yet, they stop well enough as is.

RIGHT! For a start This is not "Bullshit" I am speaking from EXPERIENCE - We had 6 months of "experience" and approx 1500 miles of testing with the CB kit.

Like I mentioned before - Are your calipers on the front at the back or front of the wheels Huh

if your caliper are at the back then you will be OK but if they are at the front then you will have the following problems:

- due to NO lock stops on early cars the calipers will hit the front beam on full lock
- due to the use of "Banjo" type fittings used where the hose meets the caliper, under normal driving condiction/steering this fitting will work loose and allow brake fluid to leak - NOT GOOD!
- LOOOOONG "flexy pipes" which have to be routed through the suspension and could become damaged
- And finally who wants a FIAT component on their Volkswagen

This is the experience I have had  Smiley

LuftsickTero

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 13:15:42 pm »

- And finally who wants a FIAT component on their Volkswagen

Sorry for the offtopic question but from what car came CB's rear calipers?

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 13:31:13 pm »

bear in my mind those are 4x130 and this topic is about wide 5 kits...

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Lee.C

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 13:36:54 pm »

"- due to the use of "Banjo" type fittings used where the hose meets the caliper, under normal driving condiction/steering this fitting will work loose and allow brake fluid to leak - NOT GOOD!"

I also forgot to mention that the kit also comes with the LOWEST quality aluminuim washer for this banjo fitting you have ever seen - they are just RUBBISH Roll Eyes Smiley

Hotrodvw

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 16:05:21 pm »

My calipers hang on the rear side of the spindle.  If it's on the front, something might be mounted incorrectly.  I don't see how it can be mounted any other way.  I run banjos on my rear lines, but on the front calipers the line goes straight in to the caliper.  Your issues all sound like an install issue to me.  The lack of instructions is an issue also.

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

Lee.C

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 16:20:18 pm »

My calipers hang on the rear side of the spindle.  If it's on the front, something might be mounted incorrectly.  I don't see how it can be mounted any other way.  I run banjos on my rear lines, but on the front calipers the line goes straight in to the caliper.  Your issues all sound like an install issue to me.  The lack of instructions is an issue also.

I have mentioned to Bendik via PM that I suspect this was an "Early" kit as it was fitted the only way it could be fitted - the mounting plates would only fit ONE WAY with the caliper towards the front (TRUST ME)  Smiley

I have LOTS of mechanical experience and this kit just seemed "WRONG" from the minute I saw it - I often wondered weather the pipes should be directly fitted into the caliper - I saw NO need for the Banjos - I am begining to think the supplyer here in the UK "mixed&matched" a couple of old kits just to make a sale  Undecided This would make sence if you are saying your caliper are towards the rear of the wheel Smiley

I am just passing on the experience I had with a CB wide5 disc conversion kit Smiley

Hotrodvw

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 16:29:01 pm »

If the kit dodn't come with these brackets, it must have been a really early kit, or the incorrect bracket.  From this picture, there's no way to mount them any other way.  Now, I modified mine to fit drop spindles that aren't made for this brake kit.  Now my calipers sit higher than in the first picture. 

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

Lee.C

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 16:45:58 pm »

I didn't realise yours was a Ball joint car/beam - we are talking about Linkpin cars/beams Roll Eyes Smiley

Our linkpin mounting plate are shaped and only fit one way - TRUST ME we thought of all the possibilities  Smiley Smiley

ps ours were stock spindles.

Hotrodvw

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 21:24:32 pm »

Hmmm.......I guess I didn't think there'd be that beig of a difference between the L/P kit and the B/J kit.  Weird....

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

Lee.C

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 22:32:02 pm »

So do I hear an apology for the Bullshit comment Wink Smiley

Of course there will be a BIG difference between the L/P and B/J kits - the spindles are completly different  Roll Eyes Smiley

Hotrodvw

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 02:42:30 am »

Yes, my apologies.   Wink

You just made it sound like the kit was complete junk, in which I didn't agree.   Wink

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

Lee.C

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 09:57:19 am »

Yes, my apologies.   Wink

You just made it sound like the kit was complete junk, in which I didn't agree.   Wink

Its cool BUT like I said the L/P kit IS complete junk - the B/J kit looks a bit  better  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 14:34:34 pm by monkiboy » Logged

Hotrodvw

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 15:00:11 pm »

Why would CB make basicall the same kit, in two different versions essentially (BJ and LP), andy still be so different in quality.  I don't get it. 

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

Lee.C

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 15:27:25 pm »

like I said your balljoint kit looks pretty good BUT our linkpin kit was CRAP - and I suspect was made up from several old kits just to make a sale  Undecided

We brought it from VW Speedshop here in the uk 3 years ago - Anyone else had any issues  Huh

lets not drag this out any longer though dude - you got a good kit that works and we got a CRAP that didn't work/fit - lets leave it at that  Smiley

Hotrodvw

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 15:30:06 pm »

No no, I understand.  I'm just baffled that the kits are so wacked.  Your concensus about the kits being pieced together makes sense though.

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

Neil Davies

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 15:42:36 pm »

like I said your balljoint kit looks pretty good BUT our linkpin kit was CRAP - and I suspect was made up from several old kits just to make a sale  Undecided

We brought it from VW Speedshop here in the uk 3 years ago - Anyone else had any issues  Huh

lets not drag this out any longer though dude - you got a good kit that works and we got a CRAP that didn't work/fit - lets leave it at that  Smiley

One of thes days I'm going to build up my CB linkpin kit, just to see what goes where! Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Lee.C

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 18:07:08 pm »

One of thes days I'm going to build up my CB linkpin kit, just to see what goes where! Cheesy

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy just let me know what you find out dude  Wink Smiley

Bendik

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 23:06:49 pm »

I asked CB where the caliper was and got the following reply;
The caliper would be towards the front on top then.
this was regarding the dropped link pin kit. But their site seem to show a kit where the caliper is behind the spindle or am I missing something??
http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1140
Does anybody know what is correct?
Getting slightly confused.. Tongue
Lee.C

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2008, 00:06:57 am »

looks like it goes at the front even with their dropped linkpins - if you look the caliper mounting bolt holes are on the opposite to the steering knuckle - trust me this kit is RUBBISH (for linkpin cars) Smiley

Bendik

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2008, 17:35:05 pm »

Anybody have an idea of a disc brake kit that would fit on 14" rims then?
What does BBT sell?
Alternativey does anybody know where I can find backplates to upgrade the front brakes to 65 specc and the rear to Type 3 5 bolt specc?
Bendik

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 21:43:40 pm »

Not to beat this topic to deat but,  Roll Eyes
Anybody tried the link pin disc rake kit from Aircooled.net or BBT and have any experience to share? Would really like to find something that I could use with my 14" rims..
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: