The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:32:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350762 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Fast Street Bugs that ran/run Super Flow heads?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fast Street Bugs that ran/run Super Flow heads?  (Read 6039 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: November 16, 2007, 22:03:02 pm »

Probably not the most popular cylinder head for the street, though there have been a number of fast cars I can name off that used them or still do. Can you think of some and maybe some stories behind them?
I ran them for a few years, but the motors always seemed to run hotter, and i was eating Zotz and was convinced the heads were going to catch fire. To top off the heat thing, the fricking breadpan valvecovers were a big pain in the ass to get off with engine in car (this was before Berg came out with their Cover Connection Kit, which when I did buy it, worked like a champ!) and I had to cut cylinder covers to accomodate intake manifolds. Main reason I got rid of them was they were cut for Crane "chevy" type springs and I lost a cam and lifters. After spending all the $ on the heads and the motor, I got mad and sold them for a song. I can remember being broke for about 6 weeks after buying the castings and having them done by Jimmy Hannan, full port and polish, D port exhausts, timesert plug holes, .200" longer valves, afore-mentioned springs, special rocker pads to lift 1.4's off heads.

Anyway, I can remember a few cars....Greg Brinton's black '67 is the obvious, think he has run them since 1992.
Other cars....white '67 2276 (Roger from Alameda), older guy from San Ramon ran a 2276 in his pristine white Ghia convert, Pete Staat's blue "Pete's Dragon" 2332cc IDA, a guy named Larry (something...can't remember his last name) from East coast beautiful blue car with IDAs and Super Flow 2332, there's more but too long ago to remember them all....

can you share some stories about these heads on street cars?

Jim
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 17:20:18 pm »

Is VERY fast ok?

This is one of my top 3 favourite cars and the owner is Arto Vatja from Finland. Very clean and very very fast - 11.194

Pictures are borrowed from my friend Kormi
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 17:22:24 pm by BeetleBug » Logged

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Udo

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 18:35:50 pm »

OK , what is a street car ? How fast can it go for a longer time . I think a 11,1 Street car can not go fast on the street like german autobahn !?  But the car looks good and has much power !!!!   For german street use you can not run Superflows .
Udo

Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 03:54:31 am »

There has been quite a few cars up here in the nordic countrys that have run SF heads successfully on the street. Even for longer roadtrips. Maybe our cool climate is more SF friendly..
But now that Johannes (JPM) has his heads going you could have the best of both worlds. Better performance than a SF with more cooling than a 044. Sorry for the OT
Matt H

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 04:18:52 am »

That red car looks killer.
ugly duckling

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 08:08:19 am »

oh qwit your complaning JR Grin Wink. no real overheating ishues to complane about with the superflows big brothers A F. just haven ah hell of good time withem thats for sure. the 7.82 1/8th if im not misataken comes out to be a 12.20 1/4 on wall mart cheap radials not bad for a 2016lb in street trim. she runs way better now since i gave her a slight tune up  Grin UD
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 19:20:44 pm by ugly duckling » Logged

Tom G.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 12:38:22 pm »

i think if you want only make trips like not more the 90km/h or 50mph on a longer time there could the comp elis from CB a good choice, because they have one more fine then the super flows (only 5 fins)....But like  Udo allready said, for longer trips with more speed like 60mph, you need such a cooling area like the 040 or 043 and better not more then 90,5mm pistons......

my choice
Tom
richie

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 13:35:59 pm »

i think if you want only make trips like not more the 90km/h or 50mph on a longer time there could the comp elis from CB a good choice, because they have one more fine then the super flows (only 5 fins)....But like  Udo allready said, for longer trips with more speed like 60mph, you need such a cooling area like the 040 or 043 and better not more then 90,5mm pistons......

my choice
Tom

your missing Jeffs[ugly duckling] point, he has Angleflows on his engine in the blue car shown and he has driven to Vegas and back to LA on regular pump gas,racing it when there,driving it all over the so cal area and runing good and cool enough,these guys were cruising at 75/80mph to Vegas & back for the real street shootout a couple of years ago,
cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 14:04:21 pm »

I ran SF 1 heads on my old 2276. It had Fk 87, 11,5:1 comp, 48 IDA andType 4 oil cooler in re-worked 1600 doghouse fan shroud WITH thermostat.
It did a 13,49sec quarter mile with stock 1300S gear box and street tyres at best.

The engine worked ok at street too, no problem with the oil temp on the highway but it did not like traffic jams... Then the oil temp could go up to 130deg C. Else it would stay around 90-100 deg C.
I had some problems with the fuel boiling in the carbs when it was realy hot, hated that!

Why didn`t they put some more cooling fins on these heads??

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Udo

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 14:19:55 pm »

my choice
Tom

your missing Jeffs[ugly duckling] point, he has Angleflows on his engine in the blue car shown and he has driven to Vegas and back to LA on regular pump gas,racing it when there,driving it all over the so cal area and runing good and cool enough,these guys were cruising at 75/80mph to Vegas & back for the real street shootout a couple of years ago,
cheers richie,uk

Hi Richie

This is why i asked  what is a street car . My last street car had a 82x90,5 engine with 040 heads . I drove it on the street , circuit track and on the strip , this is the best and biggest combo for street use in Germany . But only my opinion  Wink . the car is still on the track and drives 13,4 with street tires .

Udo

Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 15:56:13 pm »

Only ran SF heads on the street once.
Broke my street engine and i had this battle with some other beetle driver to streetrace.
I used my 1915ccdrag engine which ran SF heads back then to whoop his ass,haha.

Although the climate in curacao is hot they didnt overheat,but then again i didnt drive it for a long period.

@Udo,can you pb me the site of your shop,am looking for parts to buy for my new engine and am looking at prices,thnx Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 16:19:23 pm »

oh qwit your complaning JR Grin Wink. no real overheating ishues to complane about with the superflows big brothers A F. just haven ah hell of good time withem thats for sure.  UD.

And as far as I can see you also used a power pulley? Very cool car btw - it defines the sleeper concept and got to be a lot of fun to drive on the road.

Best rgs
BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Udo

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 18:43:59 pm »

It is on the bottom now   Wink

Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 22:53:29 pm »

and better not more then 90,5mm pistons......

my choice
Tom

Come on man, thats just some old nonsense....
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 11:07:34 am »

Thnx Udo,didnt see the link before  Grin

Will search the site and who knows order some stuff. Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
Udo

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 20:03:56 pm »

and better not more then 90,5mm pistons......

my choice
Tom

Come on man, thats just some old nonsense....

The engines temeratures raise up with 94's . The bigger chamber heats up the head and the hotter head heats up the oil . It depends on what you want for a dailydriver !!
This is why i most take original heads for a street engine up to 90,5 or 041 castings for 94 . At the 041 heads you have some cooling of the exaust port this is the big differens to Superflows .

Udo
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 06:40:52 am by Udo » Logged

AntLockyer

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 00:00:09 am »

The other view is that the larger surface area of the combustion chamber and piston crown draw heat away quicker. So while the oil may get hotter the bits the oil is supposed to be cooling remain the same or cooler.

I used to run a 1914 would drive the 120 miles to the track and back at around 80 - 90 mph all the way.

12.618 @ 104.87mph
Jim Ratto

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 00:02:30 am »

oh qwit your complaning JR Grin Wink. no real overheating ishues to complane about with the superflows big brothers A F. just haven ah hell of good time withem thats for sure. the 7.82 1/8th if im not misataken comes out to be a 12.20 1/4 on wall mart cheap radials not bad for a 2016lb in street trim. she runs way better now since i gave her a slight tune up  Grin UD

I'm melting....!!!! Grin  

I don't know Jeff, maybe I couldn't get it tuned right. I drove the car up highway 5 to Marysville one hot summer night and oil temp on freeway went to 240-250F.

benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 15:55:50 pm »

What sort of compression would you run on the street with superflows and 99octane fuel? Smiley

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: